Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Kia Sephia
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

Looking for help so I can finally get this darned thing running.

Battery has been dead because it's been sitting.

Once I jumped it and started the engine, I noticed that drip, drip, dripping down directly into the alternator components below.

Here's a picture of where it's leaking from...

What should I do?

·
Registered
2001 Kia Sephia
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did some research and see that it's called the "fuel pressure damper" or "regulator", etc.

Can I tighten this or do I need a new one?

If I need to replace it, I'm going to leak fuel everywhere right?

·
Registered
09 kia spectra ex,04 Neon,04 Chry. T&C, 08 Pontiac G6 gt
2,460 Posts
Are you sure it is not the fuel hose end that is leaking and making it look like the unit leaking? With no info of actual year and age and where the car is lpcated on the planet(Earth?), makes it rather hard to give good advice.
As for opening things to replace, the fuel will spurt out only if the system is under pressure from a recent cranking over.

·
Registered
2001 Kia Sephia
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's a 2001 Kia Sephia, sorry for not clarifying that.

There's only one hose connected to this fuel pressure regulator in the picture, and that is the one with the green band on it (see what I'm talking about?).

The hose with the green band on it... I was under the impression that this is just a vacuum line, no?

The other line (thin and black) in the picture I am pretty sure is only in close proximity but unrelated to the fuel system.

I just ordered a new FPR for $25.

·
Registered
2001 Kia Sephia
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The top of the FPR looks like a top hat as shown in the picture. It's definitely dripping from around that area. The "rim" of said top hat.

·
Registered
2000 Kia Sephia 1.8L
6 Posts
Some auto parts call that piece a fuel pressure damper . Mine was leaking a few months ago as well . Dripping fuel slowly onto the alternator . About 30-35 dollars around here at this time at an auto parts store . Has two small bolts that fix it onto the end of the rail . Also has a rubber O-ring on its end that helps seal it up in the rail . Easy to remove . Remember to let out fuel pressure first before removing or disconnecting by taking a rag to the schrader valve on the rail and letting out the pressure there . Some gas will squirt out of that valve so have the rag covering it when pressing it . The hose feeding into the pressure damper with the green band is the fuel line and it has a "quick disconnect" on it . Be ready for a little bit more drips of fuel when disconnecting that, but it won't be much with the rail depressurized . There is no vacuum line to this part . The "other line" you mention is a ground wire going from the intake manifold to a metal flange mounted to the body on the side of the strut housing . Mine has same setup . On a side note, that picture is actually upside down and flipped .

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
961 Posts
Drop, nice catch on the photo....
Why would the OP not check that prior to posting.......

1 - 8 of 8 Posts