Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother is looking at 1999 KIA Sephia on craigslist, the owner says that the radiator, head gasket, and timing belt were replaced. The vehicle has 115K and a beautiful body. My questions is, I have had three sephias before and I have never had either a radiator or head gasket issue with any of them, his current one has about 150K on it and the only issue is rust, its rotten and needs to be replaced. Can anybody tell me if head gasket and radiator problems at this low of mileage is as alarming as I feel it is? This makes me wonder if he is dumping it for other reasons. Any feedback/advice is very much appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,928 Posts
I think I'd run from this one...
The heat from running HOT will have probably caused the head to loose it's temper and who knows what else may be wrong with it..
They spent the money to "repair" it to get rid of it...otherwise why spend the money and NOT keep it?
Craigslist is a BAD place to buy a car.
Dave

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was kind of thinking along similar lines, why put that kind of money into it and then sell it. Thank you for reinforcing my thoughts, something just does not seem right with this one, Thanks for the speedy response Adam

·
Registered
1996 Kia Sephia GS
120 Posts
I know the threads a few days old but yeah,

he repaired it enough it ran to sell it not wanting to finish fixing because its not worth it.

Buying new cars theres 3 ways for it to go,
They drove it until they noticed a problem they cant/wont fix and are now selling.
They drove it and it broke, they repaired enough it runs again.
The person is moving or got a new car, nothing wrong with the old car.

Chances of getting the 3rd are very low, your buying someone elses problem not their baby that they love =-/

I got lucky my last 2 cars were familys who had multiple cars and just didnt want to pay the tax on ones they werent driving regularly. This Kia though, omfg car auctions all the way for crazy ass problems that you cant diagnose.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts