Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I'm interested in getting the Kia Sedona though it has a stiff competition with Ford Everest and Hyundai Starex.

For all the owners here, baka you can share your experience, pros and cons, in having one, lalo na on its gas engine (a 2.5L V6 engine). I've read some post on the CRDi Diesel engine, though they are not releasing it here in the Philippines.

Thanks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a Carnival (almost identical in every aspect to a Sedona except engine variants naturally) and my brother has an Everest. They're both excellent choices but I do have a complaint about the Carnival - its turning radius is embarassing. To make a u-turn on even the wide subdivision roads requires you to maneuver in reverse at least once. Got the diesel carnival in 2002 and it still runs great and passes emissions tests w/o a prob. Also, great torque for going up to Baguio. I'd stay away from the automatic transmission though. My dad has a diesel sedona automatic and it's terrible (performance-wise).

·
Registered
562 Posts
Hello James

I agree with you on the turning radius for the Sedona, lousy, never mind about a three point turn here in the UK more like a five point turn and then only if your on a field.

I'll look up your brothers Ford Everest on Google to see what it looks like, I've not heard of one before.

What engine size is your Dad's Sedona.
Seacam

·
Registered
22 Posts
yo, seacam...Everest is a Ford. My dad's automatic sedona is 2.9 diesel. how.s the weather out there. i know you call your pub's "pub" but way out here in the philippines we call it beerhouses (complete w/ semi nude dancers) you should come visit sometime... i'll gladly be your tour guide

·
Registered
562 Posts
Hi James,

Where is your Dad based, I ask 'cause I didn't know they did a Sedona diesel
in the Philippines.

I had a look at your brother's Everest, not a bad looking SUV.

Beerhouses same as in Germany and Austria I think, I'm curious why only semi-nude? ;).

Weather has been OK actualy but could be brighter.

I might take you up on your offer someday, where in the Philippines are you based.
Seacam

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm in the capital city of Manila. Sedona models available here are 2.9 diesel and 3liter V6 gas (petrol to you?). We've been having having a major gas crisis here the past couple of years so normal people have been opting for diesels.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Hi James,

What does a Lt or gallon of petrol and diesel cost in Manila.

I thought I was up to spec' on world affairs, why the gas crisis?
Seacam

·
Registered
22 Posts
Aside from the rising cost of oil in the world market the Philippine peso also continues to weaken against US dollar (It's now P56.00 to $1.00) Diesel is 27 pesos per liter or about US$0.50. It may not seem like much compared to other countries except when you consider that it used to cost around $0.20 when I bought my Carnival in 2002. Just this year there have been about five rounds of gas price increases. Public transport groups have staged several strikes due to this. And the govt. has been encouraging everyone to conserve on gas and electricity.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Hi James,

Do you know we pay around 100 pesos per litre, petrol or diesel here in the UK.

Is there any call for LPG in the Philippines, I mean is it used in vehicles?
Seacam

·
Registered
22 Posts
Even in southeast asia I believe the Philippines has the lowest gas prices. But we Filipinos love to complain; not realizing how good we have it. But because of widespread poverty, even our low gas prices is a burden for the majority. And militant groups always find some fault or reason to demand for the ouster of the present leadership. LPG technology is only beginning to trickle in. I think a handful of govt. vehicles and some taxis are on LPG.

·
Registered
6 Posts
HI to all.. Our family has an '05 Sedona. Its petrol 2.5 V6, A/T.

I agree about the turning radius. You really have to adjust. It not as agile in tight spaces as sedans. Hehe, another point, we also have a kia pregio van and it turns tighter than the sedona! (Imagine the Greenhills parking building...)

About the engine and tranny, it responds well to pedal input. On normal driving in city roads averaging 80kph, the engine doesnt exceed 2K rpm. Though, at low speed, shifting produces a slight shock.

It is also a good cruiser. Traveling along NLEX (Balintawak to Dau) is fast. I drove through at 130kph most of the time. But steering feels significantly lighter beyond that speed.

This for now..:) Tell me if you want more of my experiences..:)

·
Registered
221 Posts
Originally posted by jpi_7@Jun 3 2006, 06:22 PM
HI to all.. Our family has an '05 Sedona. Its petrol 2.5 V6, A/T.

Just one important thing to do with this engine. Check the compression regularly. The liners have problems with movement and can cause head gasket failure. Known manufacturing fault that still tends to plague the recent models.

Otherwise if the engine lasts they are an excellent vehicle. Diesel option or larger 3.0l is a much better option.

·
Registered
24 Posts
cpapashley said:
Just one important thing to do with this engine. Check the compression regularly. The liners have problems with movement and can cause head gasket failure. Known manufacturing fault that still tends to plague the recent models.

Otherwise if the engine lasts they are an excellent vehicle. Diesel option or larger 3.0l is a much better option.

hello i was reading the carnival thread and saw cpapashely say that there is a problem with the liners moving , is this true and for what engines the diesel ones or the gasoline ones because i am looking in buying a used carnival , diesel is my only option so i want to know is the liner movement problem true and is it on the gas and diesel , thanks if you could help me clarify this said problem or is it just rumors. also would like to know what the fuel consumption is like how many kms per liters thanks do hope to hear from you guys soon

1 - 13 of 13 Posts