Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Kia sedona 3.3 GDI & 2013 Kia Sorento 3.5 MPI AWD
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a noise on startup which dealer says all gdi engines have until cam that drives high pressure fuel pump gets oiled.

Given Kia very poor history of engine noise issues on startup ( i also own 2013 Sorento 3.5 MPI manufactured date post july 2012 with redesigned intake CVVT and CAM's) I am wondering if this is another "its normal" con job. Bought the car used last Nov and have been running different types of synthetic 5W30 at 5K OCI to see if its an oil issue but no luck. Anyone else hearing cam noise noise on start up ?

·
Registered
Sportage LX AWD 2014, Forte LX+ 2014
566 Posts
Doesn't matter what type of engine it is, they all make extra noise on start up.
Stick with something like Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 during winter and try Castrol 0w-40 A3/B4 made in Germany in summer, or 10w-30.

·
Registered
2017 Kia sedona 3.3 GDI & 2013 Kia Sorento 3.5 MPI AWD
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks using 5W30 Penzoil synthetic this winter. Tried Castrol 5W30 Magnatech this summer but did not quiet car on startup at all so switched to 5W20 QSUG as they were running a rebate. Guess we will all be chatting about cam wear issues 5 years from now lol.

·
Registered
Sportage LX AWD 2014, Forte LX+ 2014
566 Posts
Camshafts actually wear well unlike their sprockets that may need to be replaced during chain/guides/tensioner replacement.

·
Registered
'14 Cadenza SX-L, '16 Sedona SX, Atlanta, GA, USA
247 Posts
My local mechanic says synthetic oil clings to the oily bits better, so you get less start-up noise. I haven't switched yet, so I can't verify.

·
Registered
2016 Sedona EX
38 Posts
2016 black smoke start when cold

My 2016 EX with 24.5 K puts out black smoke and exhaust smells super rich for about 10-20 seconds on a cold morning.

This only happens when cold, above freezing and it doesn't happen.

They did nothing so I will drive till it blows up or turn it in at end of lease whichever comes first.>:D>:D>:D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Looking through the manual I don't see anywhere Kia calls out the 'type' of oil these vans require. That leads me to assume conventional oil is ok to use as long as you meet viscosity recommendations you should be ok. If it needed oil outside of conventional it would be called out somewhere clearly, for example my VW has it right on the maintenance chart that it requires synthetic.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's probably more likely a lag with the timing chain tensioner getting oil pressure rather than the lobes. The tensioners normally have a ratchet type system so they don't get too loose without oil pressure for starting though. Something to think about.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's probably more likely a lag with the timing chain tensioner getting oil pressure rather than the lobes. The tensioners normally have a ratchet type system so they don't get too loose without oil pressure for starting though. Something to think about.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,389 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Kia Sedona SX-L
28 Posts
I get the startup noise too. It's totally normal, at least for these vehicles. It goes away in about 2-5 seconds. I change oil every 3500 miles at my local Kia dealership. The cost is $34 ($29 on sale) for the oil/filter change and it's usually on sale in my area.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts