Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Kia Sedona EX
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today my Kia Sedona's OBD light came on. After scanning it I found it is throwing a P0156 code. Obviously the O2 sensor has stopped working on bank 2. My question is, when ordering a new one is it the upstream or downstream sensor? Also is it the right side or left side?

Thank you for all the help!

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sedona EX
80 Posts
According to what I see at the page I've attached below, it looks like that would be bank 2 sensor 2. So that should be right side (by firewall), and after the catalytic converter (downstream). There's a video on the page to show some diagnostics. They use a VW but it should be universal.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
09 kia spectra ex,'11 Dodge Journey AWD,04 Chry. T&C, 08 Pontiac G6 gt
2,486 Posts
Today my Kia Sedona's OBD light came on. After scanning it I found it is throwing a P0156 code. Obviously the O2 sensor has stopped working on bank 2. My question is, when ordering a new one is it the upstream or downstream sensor? Also is it the right side or left side?

Thank you for all the help!
For location, I agree with post #2.
But there are things to check for according to diagnosing the code to pinpoint the fault...to include the following
Faulty O2 sensor heater(ohms resistance test)
sensor harness open or shorted(broken wires or chaffed and touching other bare wires)
inappropriate fuel pressure or faulty injector(s) on that bank
Intake manifold air leak(s)
Exhaust system leaks(particularly if a flex pipe between the converter and downstream sensor)
Good Luck and keep us posted! :)

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
1,067 Posts
If your hard up for cash, you can live without changing the post cat sensors. They don't adjust any fuel or air. They only verify the cat is functioning properly.
Absolute change both pre-cat sensors. These 2 are critical to the air/fuel mixture on both banks. Best to replace both as a pair......

Reactions: JustinP526

·
Registered
2004 Kia Sedona EX
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello again everyone! Sorry for the delayed response but I wound up with a case of pneumonia I had to fight off. As for my Sedona throwing a P0156 code. I believe it is caused by an exhaust leak. I was driving one day and had to punch it to get into traffic. After I gave it gas the light went out and hasn't come on for weeks. I scanned it and no codes are present. Strange vehicles these Sedona's are.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts