Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Sedona 2.9 ltr CDRI (2004)
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having bit of a nightmare with my '04 Sedona. Battery keeps running flat on it, and then when charged it seems hit and miss as to whether the ETACS will spring back into life. I've managed to get it going every time by doing a combination of toggling window switches open/closed, unplugging and replugging accessories into the lighter socket and stopping/starting car. Once ETACS is alive again, all is well - but I'm living in dread that the next time it happens it wont come back to life at all.

I've read on here a lot about DVD wiring issues causing battery drain on Sedonas. Can anyone explain what the problem is and what the fix is? Is the issue with the wiring loom having a fault, the wiring loom being wired incorrectly or a fault with the DVD player or a fault with the overhead screen?

I'd like to fix/work around this issue myself if possible! Maybe an isolator switch is the answer?

Thanks,

Nick

·
Registered
Kia Sedona SE 2.9CRDi Auto
58 Posts
Having bit of a nightmare with my '04 Sedona. Battery keeps running flat on it, and then when charged it seems hit and miss as to whether the ETACS will spring back into life. I've managed to get it going every time by doing a combination of toggling window switches open/closed, unplugging and replugging accessories into the lighter socket and stopping/starting car. Once ETACS is alive again, all is well - but I'm living in dread that the next time it happens it wont come back to life at all.

I've read on here a lot about DVD wiring issues causing battery drain on Sedonas. Can anyone explain what the problem is and what the fix is? Is the issue with the wiring loom having a fault, the wiring loom being wired incorrectly or a fault with the DVD player or a fault with the overhead screen?

I'd like to fix/work around this issue myself if possible! Maybe an isolator switch is the answer?

Thanks,

Nick
Hi Nick
Had to replace battery on mine at 3 1/2 to 4 yrs which seem a bit weird, but then realised the DVD player(Centurion-under drivers seat) might be the culprit because it has two live feeds. One is live all the time the other is through the ignition switch. So disconnected the 4 pin plug when not in use. this worked for a while I don't think it liked it because eventually it packed up altogether and kept blowing the 3 amp fuse. Local car radio firm had a look and found some corrosion inside so it was kaput. They replaced the original JVC radio/cd for a JVC radio/cd/dvd/usb/i pod etc unit,and connected it to the overhead screen. The DVD sound now plays through the speakers (not the crappy headphones) and is superb. Ok it cost just over £200 but its much easier to use (always afraid of the kids kicking the old unit under seat) and the battery problem has gone and wer'e all happy cos everyone can hear the DVD sound.

Regards John.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks John
I've already made some mods to the factory fitted (Sony) head unit involving some parts costing about £30 that now lets me feed either ipod sound or the sound output from the DVD player through the head unit itself. Fantastic.

The extra feed into the centurion DVD player should just be there to maintain last played status etc - but maybe these units are power hogs? Though I thought what I heard was that there is actually a known wiring issue whereby too much power is being drained in standby.

Anyway soon Im going to trace the current draw when the car is off, and try isolating circuits. If it does prove to be the centurion thats causing the problem then I'll just fit an isolator switch, as I'm really not too bothered about it remembering last played status etc.

Cheers

Nick

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I certainly think the DVD system is the culprit. The overhead monitor is actually drawing power on the yellow wire (a battery connected circuit, not ignition switched). I've fitted an interrupter switch now on this yellow wire and can see significantly less current draw when the car is switched off than I did before.

I'll monitor things see how they go - but fingers crossed.

If anyone wants more details on how to fit an isolator, please reply and I'll post.

Cheers

Nick

·
Super Moderator
2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD; 2016 Kia Forte5 SX 1.6T A/T
6,807 Posts
did you check what is the current being drawn from the battery? I would start with this test and then disconnect devices one by one (by removal of a fuse) till I find what is drawing all the battery down.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes I did, and it was the DVD *screen* which seems to be pulling it's power from the battery even when ignition is off. The current draw was several times higher than you'd expect to see from the car in standby!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
At it's simplest, there is a yellow wire that comes under the carpet from the front of the car and comes out into the mini wiring loom that powers the DVD player under the drivers seat. This yellow wire comes from the battery, and then goes on to feed the DVD player and the DVD screen. I drilled a hole in the metal base of the drivers seat and fitted a switch that has an illuminated indicator when on. I then wired this in interrupting and isolating the feed from the yellow wire. Now the DVD player (and more importantly DVD screen) are only live when I turn this switch on, NOT all the time!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts