Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been given some conflicting information and wondered if you could help please.

I'm about to purchase a sony cd player with ISO connections for hubby's xmas present and Halfords tell me that I need an ISO connector for £11.99 and a fascia cover for £26.99. My local car parts shop tells me neither are listed inany of their books and I don't need them.

Has anyone changed a sedona 1999 stereo who could help me out.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sedona
50 Posts
I've been given some conflicting information and wondered if you could help please.

I'm about to purchase a sony cd player with ISO connections for hubby's xmas present and Halfords tell me that I need an ISO connector for £11.99 and a fascia cover for £26.99. My local car parts shop tells me neither are listed inany of their books and I don't need them.

Has anyone changed a sedona 1999 stereo who could help me out.

Halfords are right you do need the connector and a facia cover for the radio
thye are very good when it comes to radios at halfrauds

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Is the current stereo a single din unit? or a double din?
If it's single you probably won't need any parts.

The fascia adaptor should be a easy get from a dealer, the adaptor will be needed but Kia had a few wiring options, without taking old stereo out will be difficult to know.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I bought a new Sedona early this year and upgraded the hi-fi in it. I fitted a Pioneer CD head unit attached to a autochanger. The existing unit was a standard "din" unit like its replacement. It just pulled out and the plugs swapped over - however Halfrauds sell adaptor leads for about £10.00 and these plug from your headunit to the existing wiring loom. If you have a larger headunit normally the cage fixings are the same just the front facia is larger. To fit the autochanger under the drivers seat (just too big for the glovebox!) the connecting cable was run down the back of the center console, secured with a few zip-cable ties (not to the heater mechanism) and run along the floor where the floor pan bends up towards the pedals to the plastic side sill. I then unscrewed the sill and run the cable along to the seat base and under the frame. I attached the autochanger to the carpet with a large sheet of velcro to give a bit of "give" for when the kids or their toys thump it. When lifting the carpet up I found that the sound deadening was about an inch thick - however where the floor tilted up from the floor pan there was a gap of half an inch between the two pieces of deadening (handy for a cable!). I had previously bought some anti-vibration deading called "Dynamat" (available in Halfords about £20.00 for 2sq foot) and cut a strip to stick to the floor in the gap and in another area where there was a shortfall. This dramitically altered the sound level so some more was placed in the gaps of bare metal on the bulkhead which again makes a difference which is very worthwhile in carrying out. I also replaced the speakers which also made a big difference as the factory fit ones really were cheap single paper cones rated about 20watt. In the front doors they are 6 1/2 " and in the back 6 x 9". Those in the back have metal screw brackets which were quite "twangy" hence the Dynamat to stop the vibration on them.(N.B these brackets come in at 45% angle so you might have a tight fit with the speaker cage) By sticking the remaing Dyna mat behind each speaker to stop any resonance and a few inch long foot strips on the doors and rear quarters to kill any errant vibrating the Stereo is tenfold improved and the Kia quieter generally.Sorry about the length of this post I thought it might be usefull to someone :rolleyes:
p.s. It really annoys Boy racers at the traffic lights when your stereo's louder but with no resonance - just sound quality B) all for just over £300 :eek:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts