Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Rondo 2012 LE
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm new in this forum and I'm not a mechanic so please be understandable. I think my Kia dealer try to make some extra cash on our back and I need a second piece of advice. When it rain, outdoor humidity condensing and temperature is above 0, the Kia dash lights battery and break turned on and we lost the power steering. These symptoms are there about 20 seconds and everything is back to normal. They come and go randomly. I've read that this a power issue caused by the alternator. No check engine, just the 2 lights and the power steering.

With my multimeter, before I start the car, the battery show 11.5V, which is good. When the car run, the voltage at the battery is 14V, when I push the motor the 2000 RPM and above, the voltage at the battery is 14.2V.

Now, the cherry on the cake, our Kia dealer said that this is a motor replacement. The motor, itself, runs correctly.

I've tried to spray water on the alternator connectors, no positive results meaning that I didn't reproduce the issue. This week will be a rainy week so I expect to see the problem again. Unfortunately, I don't have an OBD2 error reader, it will arrive next Sunday.

Any information, advice or input is much appreciated but I will not replace my motor, for sure.

Thank you very much for your help,

Martin

·
Registered
Kia Carens 2007
106 Posts
before I start the car, the battery show 11.5V, which is good.
No, it is definitely not good! Voltage bellow 12 V is not good, good battery shows 12.4-12.8 V, with running engine (and good alternator) more then 14 V, 14.4 V is optimum. So try to charge the battery and check the altenator (regulator on it).

See e.g. this links:

·
Registered
09 kia spectra ex,'11 Dodge Journey AWD,04 Chry. T&C, 08 Pontiac G6 gt
2,515 Posts
Battery MAY be getting old and in need of replacement. BUT the model line was known for the alternator belt to slip when going thru water puddles or driving in heavy rain. This is because that there is an inadequate splash shield to deflect water from getting on the belt and pulleys. At 9 years old now, it probably needs replacement and adjusting.

·
Registered
Kia Rondo 2012 LE
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, it is definitely not good! Voltage bellow 12 V is not good, good battery shows 12.4-12.8 V, with running engine (and good alternator) more then 14 V, 14.4 V is optimum. So try to charge the battery and check the altenator (regulator on it).
Well, ok. I trust you. Why I've figured out it's good it's because by 0.5V it doesn't represent a cell of the battery. Did I know how work a battery, not at all but, now you know why I've told that.
The battery is 2 years old so, again, that's why I've reject the battery as the issue. For sure I will check the battery and give you a heads up. I've order a small bluetooth, full chinese, OBD2 reader. I will install it and prepare my cell phone for the "on the spot" diagnostic.

Thank you for your reply.

Martin

·
Registered
Kia Rondo 2012 LE
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Battery MAY be getting old and in need of replacement.
The battery is two years old only. It doesn't mean it doesn't have to be replaced. Mabe, if the alternator is "defect" it can break the battery no?

BUT the model line was known for the alternator belt to slip when going thru water puddles or driving in heavy rain.
This is exactly what it's happening. The symptoms appear in this kind of situation only.

This is because that there is an inadequate splash shield to deflect water from getting on the belt and pulleys. At 9 years old now, it probably needs replacement and adjusting.
We've replaced the motor belt, by ourselves, last year. It's probably possible that I've to adjust it. Can we also move or replace the splash shield?
I will check on Internet how to do this.

Thank you very much for your reply.

Martin

1 - 5 of 5 Posts