1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:( Hi to all

Presently driving a Kia Rio(year 2003) . Bought new in 2003. After just over
two years, engine stalls frequently and in a span of 3 weeks, car was brought
in to dealer for repairs. Till date, no one knows actual cause, not even Korea.
So repairs done on " guess this is faulty" basis.

Be careful when buying the Kia Rio. Understand same car in USA has same
problem.

Frustrated.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:( Local agent was nice to change a number of major parts, including cylinders
heads. I think till date must have replaced at least 6 to 7 major parts. Next
week one more part inside engine and hope the problem is solved.

Less stalling now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi,
What the update now regarding your Kia Rio?
Need to know because intend to buy one? But not sure yet?
Like the price cos of budget but hears a lot of cases regarding Kia cars? :(

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Bro

If you have not bought your Kia yet, take my advice, go for more established
Japanese brands. With car prices so low, why even consider Korean makes?

Question is : why take risks?

Kianomore

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,117 Posts
risks??
I own 2 kias and my dad owns one. between all 3 there is 250,000 miles on them.. no problems.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Shakray

Do you really need to buy a Kia Rio? Next week, I am going for a two day engine oil pump replacement(not to mention the many parts already changed in April).
What you like to note is that Kia Korea has not clue to solving this frequent stalling
problem, so they do a change this or that and see if that solve the problem.

Well, there you have it. Now you decides.

Good luck

Kianomore

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi,

I am facing the same problem as yours!!! Sorry if I sound stupid but I am actually happy to know I have someone who share this probl. For awhile there, I thought i may be a lousy driver or is there something wrong with my mental side??

Pls do let me know what happen to your car finally? Did you manage to get it rectify?? Pls reply quickly before i do something drastic to my car like pushing to a ravine and get insurance company to write it off!!

Jaclyn

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Jacyln
My car is going for a engine oil pump change next week. This will take two days.
Till date, many parts have been changed, yet the same stalling problems exists.
Kia Korea has no solution and therefore the 'recommended' solution to the Agents
is to change the parts suspected. In other words, 'tikam, tikam' approach.

If you do visit the Kia Forum worldwide, you will realise that the Rio is fundamentally a problematic vehicle, one , which I suspect is due to cheap parts used.

Is your engine problem serious? What you should really be aware is when the
car suddenly loses power while driving. No matter, how hard you may step on the pedal, the car do not seem to respond. For starters, get the spark plug wires change and then monitor the performance. Not much choice, but to accomodate
having this 'lemon' for a little while more, b4 selling it off. One thing is certain, no
more Korean brands for me, my family and friends.

Keep in touch and do share if you manage to solve the problem b4 the Koreans do.

Take care driving .

Kianomore

·
Registered
14 Posts
Originally posted by jcqlim@May 27 2005, 09:30 AM
Hi,

I am facing the same problem as yours!!! Sorry if I sound stupid but I am actually happy to know I have someone who share this probl. For awhile there, I thought i may be a lousy driver or is there something wrong with my mental side??

Pls do let me know what happen to your car finally? Did you manage to get it rectify?? Pls reply quickly before i do something drastic to my car like pushing to a ravine and get insurance company to write it off!!

Jaclyn
I'm really happy too to find that me & richard are not alone...... Mine mis-fire and will stall if you tap on the gas. Agent no clue to it yet too.... Mine is a Rio H/B 1.5M mileage done ard 15k km and 15mths old......

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi there, my name is Richie and I joined this forum to try and solve the same problem you are all having. My 2003 Kia Rio has 45,000 miles and just started stalling when you touch the gas pedal. Once you get moving its fine, but when you stop and try to move again it stalls, sometimes its Ok and does not stall. I'm installing a new gas filter and then will check the TPS. If I find anything I will post it on here. Good luck to all. :right:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there all! Seems that I'm not alone too... I'm facing similar stalling problems. When it's travelling normally, it's OK. But when comes to a stop at a road junction, as I step on the accelerator, it don't seem to respond and begin stalling. It's so frustrating that I've to send in my Rio in and out of the agent's workshop. They really don't seem to know what's the problem with my Rio.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi richardlim8,

A quick question.. May I know which country you got your rio from? Also, was it a PI or through your local dealership?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1999 Acura Integra
968 Posts
I would replace spark plugs, wires, coils, fuel filter, and check the fuel pressure. Sounds like it could be one of those problems. I would also clean the throttle body and the iac.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts