Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:( My 2001 Kia Rio is bucking like crazy...I changed the plugs and still didn't solve the problem...when I come to a stop it bucks a few times but hasn't stalled out..this has been going on for a week now, even went and changed the plugs for a second time, nothing! Now today the check engine light has come on, it only has less than 33,000 on it...any ideas???? Oh yeah and the air bag light comes on and then maybe after a week or so it goes out, only to come back on again for a while..I've learned to drive with my arms criss crossed in case the air bag decides to deploy..(only kidding!) Why would they deploy...afterall my daughter who was at a stop light was rear ended by a truck who pushed her 2001 Kia Rio under the rear of another truck that was in front of her at the stop light and the bags never deployed...and the car was totalled..Nice huh?? Thank God she wasn't hurt, but to make matters worse it was the day before her wedding and she had to march down the aisle with 2 black eyes! Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
57 Posts
What was the CEL code? You can go to most auto stores and they can find that out for ya. Also, its possible that you got some bad gas.

Matt

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Matt, thanks for the reply...I took it into the shop and they said the #4 spark plug wire was arcing and they replaced it plus did the recall on the fuel rail and also said there was a recall to reset the computer...does that all sound right to you? Anyways it's running fine now...(fingers crossed...and knocking on wood) Now if I could only get the darn air bag light to go off....maybe I'll just put some black electrical tape over that spot on the dash so I can't see it...LOL! It drives me nuts!!! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Glad to hear that it is running fine now. I don't recomend that you cover the air bag light tho. There could be a serious problem. Let me look into it some more.

I once cleaned my engine and accidently got water down into the hole where plug 4 goes. My engine ran like butt and I got a cel saying that cyl 4 was misfiring. When I pulled the plug wire and saw all that water I realized that it was causing the spark to arc to the head, causing the misfires. Once I cleaned it out and dried it out real good it worked like a dream!

The fuel rail is deffantly a recall that needs to be done so that is good that you got it. The ecu recall is not for resetting but rather updating the fuel map to suppostedly solve an issue. For me, that did not solve it but after upgrading to 17lb sephia (Bosch) fuel injectors it the lack of fuel issue disapared. I also had a CAI and header will full exhaust tho.

Matt

·
Registered
1 Posts
Originally posted by hunnyb50@Jan 10 2005, 04:39 PM
:( My 2001 Kia Rio is bucking like crazy...I changed the plugs and still didn't solve the problem...when I come to a stop it bucks a few times but hasn't stalled out..this has been going on for a week now, even went and changed the plugs for a second time, nothing! Now today the check engine light has come on, it only has less than 33,000 on it...any ideas???? Oh yeah and the air bag light comes on and then maybe after a week or so it goes out, only to come back on again for a while..I've learned to drive with my arms criss crossed in case the air bag decides to deploy..(only kidding!) Why would they deploy...afterall my daughter who was at a stop light was rear ended by a truck who pushed her 2001 Kia Rio under the rear of another truck that was in front of her at the stop light and the bags never deployed...and the car was totalled..Nice huh?? Thank God she wasn't hurt, but to make matters worse it was the day before her wedding and she had to march down the aisle with 2 black eyes! Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Airbags are designed NOT to go off in a rear end collision. They only are designed to keep your face from hititng hte steering wheel in front end colisions. It probobly would have hurt more than it would help in that particualr accident.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts