Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 2001 kia rio. has been great. at 30mths old started cutting out and stopping whilst being driven. have to slip it into N and start quickly. cuts out and steering is lost (automatic) really scarry. have been in heavy traffic and had semi trailer boring down on me at 100K+ and my car cut out..even when i slow down to negotiate a speed hump it will cut out..have taken it to kia mechanic and they replaced MAP (manifold and air pressure) sensor (twice) still cuts out..has anyone else had this problem.. i am told by mechanic there a few cars with this problem..thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Gday Jimbo,

Im running a 2002 rio, and ive had quite a few problems with the fuel pump. Have you had this looked into?

It cut out on the highway at 110km/h and then would start again after i knock it into N.

Does it seem to be a fuel loss or power problem?

Thanks Mate,

Compmatt

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Guys,
Just reading your problems, I have a 2004 Rio, Manual

Was driving in heavy traffic and had no power at all, wouldnt even go past 40kmh

Nearly got wiped out by a four wheel drive coming head on.........
End result a trip to hospital after a major panic attack.

Anyways, got a few bits n pieces chopped and changed thanks to the recall a few months ago and the car has been running great ever since.
Drove it to Adelaide from Sydney when i moved and not a problem.

Think they changed the fuel distribution rail from memory - it was originally plastic.

Regards,
Adam

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey guys,

I had trouble with it surging and alike, then the car would grind to a halt. Turns out I had cooked the fuel pump. It was replaced under warranty, and I was told to never allow the fuel gauge to drop below 1/4 full. Due to it being an internal fuel pump, the fuel is actually the cooling device for the car, so if you allow it to drop below that, you are exposing the pump. It happened to me during summer, which explains why I fried it.

Have you explored that possibility?

Cheers,
Brett :57:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts