Kia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Kia Rio SX
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys i will try to provide as much info as i can. My Kia is burning oil so after an extensive search on youtube and many people saying the PCV Valve is a major culprit. I changed the PCV valve myself. There was no change and the car is still burning oil.

I had a mechanic come and do a compression test and the readings were as follows:
Cylinder #1 150
Cyliner #2 192
Cylinder #3 134
Cylinder #4 102

He told me to diagnos the problem further it would be a big job and lots of labor as the engine would have to be taken apart.

Anyone have any insights on what i can do next without spending $600-700 Kia dealership said it will be 5 hours labor just to diagnose the problem.

The computer read these error codes also.

PO420
PO193
P606

any help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento LX AWD 2.4L
308 Posts
Those codes may or may not be a related problem so I'd get an opinion or maybe a diagnosis on those.

But how much oil are you burning? (at what rate?) Might be worth just living with it rather than shotgunning parts. Make sure it's not something obvious like the drain plug being a little loose.

·
Administrator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
12,588 Posts
What's the mileage?
What's the service history, oil change interval?

Might want to take it to a good mechanic that will do a wet and dry compression test and a leakdown test, but with the info provided so far it looks like you need to consider an new, or rebuilt engine, or a good used one.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Rio SX
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Those codes may or may not be a related problem so I'd get an opinion or maybe a diagnosis on those.

But how much oil are you burning? (at what rate?) Might be worth just living with it rather than shotgunning parts. Make sure it's not something obvious like the drain plug being a little loose.
would that not make the oil leak not burn a loose cap?

·
Registered
2014 Kia Rio SX
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What's the mileage?
What's the service history, oil change interval?

Might want to take it to a good mechanic that will do a wet and dry compression test and a leakdown test, but with the info provided so far it looks like you need to consider an new, or rebuilt engine, or a good used one.
148k kms. Regular oil changes were always done as well as brakes and rotors and filters... Nothing else has ever been serviced.

·
Registered
2020 KIA Soul Ex+
619 Posts
Check my recent threads here.

New cats and a used engine counting freight and labor will run you $5K +++

My bet is your cats are plugged and the resulting back pressure killed the rings. I was burning a litre every 2,000 KM when I had the same issue as you.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Rio SX
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Check my recent threads here.

New cats and a used engine counting freight and labor will run you $5K +++

My bet is your cats are plugged and the resulting back pressure killed the rings. I was burning a litre every 2,000 KM when I had the same issue as you.
not what i wanted to hear but thanks for the input.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Perform a back pressure test on the exhaust, it should be <2psi @2000rpm.

Then do a cylinder leak down test to find the loss of compression.

Reactions: missingcurlybracket

·
Administrator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
12,588 Posts
is this is an easier test then the compression test ? wasnt comfortable doing that myself.
If its burning as much oil as you say it is, and been doing so for a while, then its a given that the CAT is trashed.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Rio SX
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If its burning as much oil as you say it is, and been doing so for a while, then its a given that the CAT is trashed.
Ive heard KIA will offer some silent warrenty on some engine and cat issues past the normal 5 years. Is it worth me taking to kia and paying the 2 hours labour $300~ for a diagnois test to see if it will be covered or just a dumb gamble?

·
Administrator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
12,588 Posts
Ive heard KIA will offer some silent warrenty on some engine and cat issues past the normal 5 years. Is it worth me taking to kia and paying the 2 hours labour $300~ for a diagnois test to see if it will be covered or just a dumb gamble?
Haven't you gathered from the discussion so far that you're looking at the same options as Rio Taxi when his engine reached the end of its useful life.

Sure you can pay someone else to tell you the same - vehicle manufacturers aren't known for their generosity.

·
Registered
2007 Kia Rio SX
17 Posts
Hi guys i will try to provide as much info as i can. My Kia is burning oil so after an extensive search on youtube and many people saying the PCV Valve is a major culprit. I changed the PCV valve myself. There was no change and the car is still burning oil.

I had a mechanic come and do a compression test and the readings were as follows:
Cylinder #1 150
Cyliner #2 192
Cylinder #3 134
Cylinder #4 102

He told me to diagnos the problem further it would be a big job and lots of labor as the engine would have to be taken apart.

Anyone have any insights on what i can do next without spending $600-700 Kia dealership said it will be 5 hours labor just to diagnose the problem.

The computer read these error codes also.

PO420
PO193
P606

any help is much appreciated.
I also have a 07 Rio with 268000 miles and runs as good as the day I bought it
On you next oils & filter change get you a can of Engine Restore at most auto part stores.
This stuff works wonders .
I've used it multiple times on different vehicles and the Rio doesn't use any oil on a 3000 mile change .

1 - 20 of 24 Posts