Kia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We bought a new 2012 Kia Rio. The oil burns black on this car FAST. Checking the oil after the first oil change around 3000 miles at the dealer I found that at 4800 miles the oil was BLACK. I was shocked and changed it immediately myself. Checking every 500 miles since then I have found the oil very dark by 1500 miles of NORMAL driving. I have been changing oil for 40 years in many cars and have never seen this at such low miles. I intend to be changing my oil at 1500 miles or less in the future on that car. BURNT BLACK OIL IS NOT GOOD. That little engine must run hot - but I believe it only holds 3.5 quarts. That is likely why it is "burning" black, my guess. Those changing oil on this car at 3000 miles and above will be cheating themselves out of engine life no matter what they use for oil. WORD TO THE WISE HERE, watch your oil on the Rio AND Hyundai Accent. ANY comments email me at [email protected]

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 12 Sedona LX
1,412 Posts
The oil getting dark earlier is a normal characteristic of the GDI engine. The 2.4L GDI does it also, as well as direct injected engines of other manufacturers.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,235 Posts
Black oil is not necessarily bad oil or a sign of excess heat. as well as GDI engines being prone to blackening, certain brands of oil blacken up earlier than others. Castrol oils used to be known for this.

·
Premium Member
'12 Rio SLS, '13 XR6 Turbo, '15 XR8 S/C
995 Posts
old thread i know.

i just had a 37,500km service done. They advise 15,000km service intervals here and it's RIDICULOUS, i do mine every 7500km. The car came back from the dealer and with about 25km on the new oil, it's already a moderate dark colour, but that's open to interpretation. It's still see through, but not like new oil has been in any other car i've owned and i've had a lot. It does not smell burnt in the slightest but i've noticed since day 1 this thing blackens its oil very quickly.

·
Registered
'12 Kia Rio LX. '11 Toyota Tacoma, '07 Honda S2000, '11 Husaberg FS570, KTM 990 Adventure
267 Posts
my rio has done this since new. the oil does get dark much more quickly then my honda or toyota. but, it does not burn any oil at all.

i adhere to the 4000 mile oil change intervals, and have changed the oil 16 times so far.

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
yeah it's the best way to be - most if not all cars here in Oz come with a 15,000KM service interval which is total BS, nothing more than marketing to make new cars seem even more affordable. Used to be 10,000km as a standard here but i do mine earlier anyway.

the dealer put 7.5w30 oil in which i've never used before, didn't list brand either haha

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,523 Posts
If it's a 1.6L like here, it takes 3.3 liters. In my owners manual, it's actually shown on page 2.
your correct but it is also near the back of the manual in section 8 under "Recommended Lubricants and Capacities"

·
Registered
2013 Rio 5 EX, 1967 Chevy C10
241 Posts
your correct but it is also near the back of the manual in section 8 under "Recommended Lubricants and Capacities"
I should have phrased that as "on page 2 also". I just thought page 2 was a little easier to find than looking for the capacities page. :)

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio 5 (113,000 miles as of Nov 2015) -2003 Honda Accord EX (40000 miles as of Nov 2015)
86 Posts
There is an odd lack of concise information on regular maintenance on this car.

I asked people at the dealership about maintenance intervals and they looked at me like I was speaking Klingon.

I change my oil between 6000 and 7000 miles.

I use Castrol Syntec 5W20 oil, the stock Kia oil filter hand twisted tightly on,and bolt washer torqued on to 30 ft pounds.

When replaced, the oil in our Kia is dirty but not destroyed.

Our Kia stays on the interstate everyday for at least 120 miles a day -five days a week.

Just remember it's only -three and half quarts of oil- get great oil and change it as often as you feel comfortable but change it-oil is cheaper by far then a new engine-don't count on the Kia warranty to replace a badly maintained engine.

Remember also to use premium fuel if you hear any engine pinging.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio 1.4 - 6 Speed Manual
107 Posts
I have 8500KM on my Rio and a "Check Engine Oil" notice came up on the dash a day or two ago when you first start the car. Its first service is only at 15000KM

Should I just change it myself or take it in? It's got a maintenance plan so I shouldn't have to pay for it.

Also why would it display this message if the first service is only supposed to be at 15000KM?

Thanks

·
Registered
'77 Dodge W300 Wrecker, '03 Kia Rio, '98 Chevy S10
60 Posts
The color of the oil really has no bearing at all on how worn out it is. Modern oils, especially the synthetics, are capable of working well far beyond what they could in the past. For some reason everyone I know fell for the 3k mile interval myth, it just isn't true. It started back when oil was very unrefined and would sludge an engine but that was 60 years ago, since then it's just become a myth perpetuated by service shops just so they can make more money faster.

Stop Changing Your Oil! - Edmunds.com

Your engine will be fine whether you follow the manufacturer's interval or change it every 1k miles, doesn't matter. I've seen many engines ruined by oil issues, but only 2 kinds: NEVER changing the oil, or letting it run dry, that's it.

·
Registered
'77 Dodge W300 Wrecker, '03 Kia Rio, '98 Chevy S10
60 Posts
Should I just change it myself or take it in? It's got a maintenance plan so I shouldn't have to pay for it.

Also why would it display this message if the first service is only supposed to be at 15000KM?

Thanks
My mom's Taurus does this all the time, just came on a couple weeks ago and it's only been 900 miles since I changed the oil and reset the computer. I think it keeps track of time or something too, it seems to go off every couple months or so regardless of mileage. (in other words I just ignore it and reset most of the time).

This is Ford's explaining of their oil reminder but they're all pretty much the same. http://owner.ford.com/Storage/CommonImages/images/IOLM%20FAQ.pdf

·
Registered
13 Rio SLS Man
103 Posts
I have 8500KM on my Rio and a "Check Engine Oil" notice came up on the dash a day or two ago when you first start the car. Its first service is only at 15000KM

Thanks
the warning is only set on km interval you nominate not condition of the oil.

·
Registered
2016 Hyundai Accent
134 Posts
This is Ford's explaining of their oil reminder but they're all pretty much the same.
They are not ALL pretty much the same.

Kia's system only tracks mileage for the interval that you specify in mileage.

Ford/Honda typically monitors engine temps, RPM, run-time and reports accordingly (i.e. more short trips = shorter intervals).

BMW and some other cars actually analyze the oil itself.

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
The color of the oil really has no bearing at all on how worn out it is. Modern oils, especially the synthetics, are capable of working well far beyond what they could in the past.
firstly, colour is a bearing on the condition of oil, along with, and more importantly, consistency, smell and any obvious contaminents. Changing your oil more frequently (around 7500 give or take) WILL increase the life of your engine, in the form of how closely it will keep performing to OEM spec, for longer. The only marketing spin that has been put on it is car manufacturers increasing the service intervals from the traditional 10,000km to 15,000km. Makes the car seem cheaper to run doesn't it. Yet what was changed to cope with this?

Not changing your oil sooner won't instantly lunch your engine, the older your oil is, the harder your engine works to do what it should do freely and the more wear you will get on the componentry, causing slack and wear which will in turn reduce efficiency and power levels.

this is not new information.

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
also, oil change intervals should be relative to the kind of driving you do and the traffic in the area you live in. Ours is a densely populated area with lots of hills and slow peak-hour traffic each end of the day.. actually pretty much all day. Changing the oil at 15,000km in these conditions, with this motor, would not be pretty.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio 1.4 - 6 Speed Manual
107 Posts
also, oil change intervals should be relative to the kind of driving you do and the traffic in the area you live in. Ours is a densely populated area with lots of hills and slow peak-hour traffic each end of the day.. actually pretty much all day. Changing the oil at 15,000km in these conditions, with this motor, would not be pretty.
This is what I was thinking as well. I do have a fair amount of hills and stop start traffic in my daily commutes but it's not excessive. Some of that 8500km has been on the open road as well.

So I was just curious if I should change it or leave it.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.