·
Registered
Kia Rio - 2013 Canada
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
kia rio 2013

i just started to notice the sound for over a week now
sounds like a small ringing noise or bearing that needs lubrication
i only hear the noise when i press on the gas (even with just a little press, not necessarily hard acceleration)

i'm worried that it might be transmission going bad, althought some google search points to belts or even steering wheel

is it always better to just go to kia service or a car service near my work

thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
11,608 Posts
kia rio 2013

i just started to notice the sound for over a week now
sounds like a small ringing noise or bearing that needs lubrication
i only hear the noise when i press on the gas (even with just a little press, not necessarily hard acceleration)

i'm worried that it might be transmission going bad, althought some google search points to belts or even steering wheel

thanks in advance
Would this be something unique to the Canadian model?

Please update your profile detail, ......at least location and vehicle (year & model).

Click on “User CP” near the top right of the page.

·
Registered
2015 Hyundai Elantra GT, 2010 Kia Rio
165 Posts
kia rio 2013

The short answer is that it isn't always better to go to Kia service. The longer answer depends upon a lot of factors, not least of which is how good is the Kia service and how good is the other car service? Do you still have a warranty on your car? For some things (computer updates and recalls) you have to go to the Kia service. For some other things you can usually save money (and still get quality service) at an independent shop. I'm lucky, I live close to a good independent shop and I have a good relationship with them. I have given them a lot of business over the years (Dodge Caravan and Saturn SW1). If I have a problem with a car I can take it there and they can give me a diagnosis. If I need to take it to the dealer they will tell me (they probably won't even charge me for the advice).
It's hard to diagnose a problem based on a sound, even when people provide YouTube clips. But if I had to make a guess I would venture to say that I don't think this sounds like a transmission problem. Could it be the serpentine belt whining? Did you open the hood to see if there is an oil leak anywhere? If you can provide any more information (where the sound is coming from, etc.) it will help the sleuths on the forum to come up with some answers. Anyhow, good luck! Please update the thread when you get some answers.

·
Registered
Kia Rio - 2013 Canada
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sorry i know this is old, but i thought it would be better for the next person with the same problem if i provide a update:
the cause of the noise was the serpentine belt needs replacing on my 2013 - 75K Kia Rio

1 - 4 of 4 Posts