Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Rio LX 2008
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, kids, I found an electronic manual for my 08 Kia Rio, but it's an ISO and very large. There are 16 portions to the useful bit, and I've uploaded 7 (so far) to a Google Drive folder. These are the ones I've needed and saved, but I'll get the rest up and leave them up.

Kia Rio 2G Repair Manual PDFs

:nerd:

It wasn't easy to find this, and it's been pretty awesome to be able to jump to a section and look up the tightening torque. And whatever else. Ok, have fun. (If the link doesn't work please let me know, or if you need something that isn't there, let me know that too!)

·
Registered
Kia Rio LX 2008
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
There are so many typos in this that I kinda understand why no one sells it.

Still, I got this car after it'd been stolen, crashed, and abandoned (then returned to the owner) so I've done a lot of repairs and the only thing I didn't DIY was the windshield. And I let Walmart install my battery because it was a free service and hot as hell out. Fender, headlamp, starter, passenger side ball joint and outer tie rod, driver's side sway bar end link, front brakes, manual crank window handles (switched front ones that were missing knobs for rears), spark plugs, and ignition coils. Blew an ignition coil the other day and that was pretty scary. I was able to confirm that timing belt was replaced in 2016 by contacting local shops where it'd been taken for servicing. That was a huge win.

The window handles were a bitch and I gauged the heck out of my door before figuring it out. The rubber is such that normal methods of removing the clip won't work, so you have to pry then use a slightly hooked coat hanger piece to shove in there and catch it while you turn the handle. This bent some clips so before reinstalling the handles, make sure it can spin freely without catching, by squeezing the skinny part with pliers. Now that I know, I can replace the front stock speakers. The rear is more involved, but thanks to some old posts on here I see how it works.

So if you can get over the spelling errors, these are pretty handy to have.

·
Registered
2010 Kia Rio LX
73 Posts
Why didn't you just buy the manual online? I paid under $13 for mine on eBay. It was the service manual for the 2nd gen Rio and came with both PDFs and a Windows executable that I've yet to install. The main PDF was over 1000 pages long and extremely detailed. There's no way I'd be able to do all the work I'm about to do without it.

·
Registered
Kia Rio LX 2008
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why didn't you just buy the manual online? I paid under $13 for mine on eBay. It was the service manual for the 2nd gen Rio and came with both PDFs and a Windows executable that I've yet to install. The main PDF was over 1000 pages long and extremely detailed. There's no way I'd be able to do all the work I'm about to do without it.
Because this was free. Just took some digging to find it. Very large ISO file, so I just shared the shop manuals. I like that the PDFs are broken up; if it was just one big one I think it'd be more difficult to locate what I needed quickly, particularly with the misspellings. Yours might be the same, with "timming belt" and "hight adjustment", unless it was properly edited/translated.

·
Registered
Kia Rio LX 2008
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Considering I've saved thousands in repair costs, I'd say $13 is as good as free.

·
Registered
2010 Kia Rio LX
73 Posts
Absolutely worth the $13. I tried to find a "free" copy online, but the only places I found were these give us your personal info and we'll give you access to all this "free" content sites. I passed. In any case, the version I paid for had the above spelling errors, so it's probably the same version. Mine was one big PDF, which I actually prefer. But these errors were nothing compared to far more critical ones that could lead to people making serious mistakes, like referring to one part when they really meant another, or getting torque values wrong. This is why I'm triple-checking every section that pertains to work I need to do before starting the work. All the more so given that I'm new to auto repair.

One weird disparity I came across was where they show that the front axle nuts are castle nuts with cotter pins, whereas my 2010 Rio LX uses a spiked axle nut with no pin. Perhaps my dad, whose car this is, had driveshaft work done in the past and they installed a new one that wasn't OEM and used a spiked nut. It's also strange that in the part where it explains how to put a hub back on, it doesn't give a torque value for the axle nut. Do you have any idea what it might be? The front of the section gives a 144-188 ft-lb value for the "driveshaft nut", but the actual section doesn't. Is this the same thing? This section does give this torque range for the force to use when pressing in a bearing with the special tool, though. Confusing.

·
Registered
Kia Rio LX 2008
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Absolutely worth the $13. I tried to find a "free" copy online, but the only places I found were these give us your personal info and we'll give you access to all this "free" content sites. I passed.
I didn't have to do anything like that, but I'd almost given up finding it. Bookmarked here, but I guess I didn't bookmark the original site. Also didn't install anything, just downloaded it and made sure it wasn't virus-y.

One weird disparity I came across was where they show that the front axle nuts are castle nuts with cotter pins, whereas my 2010 Rio LX uses a spiked axle nut with no pin. Perhaps my dad, whose car this is, had driveshaft work done in the past and they installed a new one that wasn't OEM and used a spiked nut. It's also strange that in the part where it explains how to put a hub back on, it doesn't give a torque value for the axle nut. Do you have any idea what it might be? The front of the section gives a 144-188 ft-lb value for the "driveshaft nut", but the actual section doesn't. Is this the same thing? This section does give this torque range for the force to use when pressing in a bearing with the special tool, though. Confusing.
That's a high torque value but if it's a lock nut then probably the same thing... maybe. I don't have enough experience with that to say for sure.

·
Registered
2008 Kia Rio5
1 Posts
Hi Yoshimi,
Thanks for the link. I have an 08 RIO5. Trans bearings bad at 220k. I've been searching for a manual to see how bad removing the trans will be. Your link is a great help. I'm not looking forward to doing it but at least now I know what's involved. Thanks again. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
2010 Kia Rio LX
73 Posts
Hi Yoshimi,
Thanks for the link. I have an 08 RIO5. Trans bearings bad at 220k. I've been searching for a manual to see how bad removing the trans will be. Your link is a great help. I'm not looking forward to doing it but at least now I know what's involved. Thanks again. Much appreciated.
I'm hoping to remove the transmission on a different car I have later this year. You can certainly do it, but it's pretty involved, as you have to remove a bunch of stuff to get at it, you have to support the engine, and you really should use a transmission jack to deal with the weight and balance. I don't have one and it seems silly to buy one for a one-time job. HF sells a decent one for $80 with 20% coupon but I have no place to store it and I'd rather rent one. Trying to figure out if it's possible to rent one and if so where.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts