Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Kia Rio
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My Kia Rio 2015 started losing oil around the 99K mileage mark.

The car has been losing oil to the point it doesn't show up on the dip stick in a WEEK.
The kia dealership I went to just kept telling me it was normal that this was happening?
Doesn't make sense.

I'm at a loss. Is this normal? Is anyone else having these problems? Is there really nothing to be done about it?

My car now has around 145k and nothing has changed. It still continues to loose the oil in a week.
The only time it lasts longer than a week is when I take it for a oil change. It will last two weeks after this. Then right back to losing in a week. It doesn't make sense to me and I don't know if that is relevant.

I have had the PCV valve replaced. No change.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Rio
140 Posts
Are you driving 1500 miles a week? It is normal to burn around a quart every 1500 miles but a quart in a few hundred is not normal. Any leaks that you can see? Check all over the motor above and below. Have you pulled the plugs to see if any are wet with oil? You should take it to an engine shop and have them give you an idea of the types of repairs that could stop oil burning. Something on the head like valve guides could be a problem.

·
Registered
09 kia spectra ex,04 Neon,04 Chry. T&C, 08 Pontiac G6 gt
2,380 Posts
How many miles in a week?
What weight and TYPE of oil is being used? Conventional or synthetic normal or high mileage formulation?
And same questions as posed by member danelo.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Rio
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I drive around 500 miles per week give or take.
I use Mobile synthetic high mileage. 5w/20

No oil leaks that I can see.

·
Registered
09 kia spectra ex,04 Neon,04 Chry. T&C, 08 Pontiac G6 gt
2,380 Posts
I drive around 500 miles per week give or take.
I use Mobile synthetic high mileage. 5w/20

No oil leaks that I can see.
So you are reporting the usage of almost 2 quarts in 500 miles/1 week? What temp climate are you in and is driving primarily city "stop and go"?
Up here in my Western NY area, I've known a number of people with 100k mile cars using your's and other brand 5w20 oils and also having high consumption troubles on otherwise perfectly fine running vehicles. So other than already suggested about internal engine wear by member danelo, I can't offer any solution, you are running a quality(and high mileage formula) oil already. IF you are in a high temp area, you might be able to safely run a good 10w30....CHECK your owners book for climate range oil recommendations..

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio Sedan Auto 1.6 Turbo
213 Posts
My Kia Rio 2015 started losing oil around the 99K mileage mark.

The car has been losing oil to the point it doesn't show up on the dip stick in a WEEK.
The kia dealership I went to just kept telling me it was normal that this was happening?
Doesn't make sense.

I'm at a loss. Is this normal? Is anyone else having these problems? Is there really nothing to be done about it?

My car now has around 145k and nothing has changed. It still continues to loose the oil in a week.
The only time it lasts longer than a week is when I take it for a oil change. It will last two weeks after this. Then right back to losing in a week. It doesn't make sense to me and I don't know if that is relevant.

I have had the PCV valve replaced. No change.
Assuming the engine bay is clean, especially around the valve cover gasket and CVVT sensor.

Clean the intake hose with dish soap, dry, and re-attach. See if it is sucking oil thru there. With the hose removed see what can be seen in the intake manifold.
Option 2: Use an OEM oil filter next change, and ensure the threads and seal is clean (correct oil pressure). inspect the oil pan all the way around with a light. Clean first with dish soap, drive for a week, and ensure the loss isn't out the bottom so to speak
If these options do not work, my only thought is the oil is being burned. A common cause of these can be "coked" intake valves. Carbon build up on the intake valve prevent a seal allowing seepage. If you are burning this much oil inside the combustion chamber it should be evident on the spark plug.

If that is unclear just ask

1 - 6 of 6 Posts