Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased 2013 Kia rio August 3 2012, drove it for 4 days and the dealership service department has had it for the past 3 days and I don't expect to have it back anytime soon. The main computer which runs the car was faulty from the factory and the best they can do is quote the warranty, I think they should give me my money back or a new car ; the dealership is unwilling to do that. I live in Canada and there are laws for the consumer but it all takes time; as soon as I have my brand new car back I will contact Kia Canada and file a complaint with the Ontario Motor Vehicle Industry Council , but once you pay then its your baby and everyone seems to throw up their hands and say not my problem. I should mention this is the third Kia we have owned but it will definitly be the last. So disappointed and the service we received my 7 years old grand child could do better. No communication and no follow up. If you're out there don't purchase a Kia. In our complex there is a brand new ford focus, and a new Elantra neither one of these has had a lick of trouble, I should have taken a page from their book.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
9,783 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

It sounds like your dislike of all Kia product stems from one bad after sales experience.

That Elantra most likely uses the same "main computer" , or at least the same make of computer as the one in your Kia.

I doubt that other vehicle manufacturers offer a money back guarantee, or new car, on the first defect that occurs.

There's similar consumer protection laws in the US (lemon law) and in other countries, but I doubt that this qualifies, ... at least not yet.

"If you're out there don't purchase a Kia" - don't think that you'll get to many considering this suggestion, merely based on your experience.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio LX
5 Posts
I agree it sounds like you just have had badly customer service. You must have liked kias or you wouldn't have bought 3 of them. Hyundai is the sister company of Kia so they mre than likely share parts and such. Don 't let one bad expierience ruin your whole prospective. I bought my 2013 Kia Rio in late July and haven't had any problems. In fact, I love it!!!! No complaints and my dealership was so nice and helpful.

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 SX Navi, it be Black Pearl... argh matey!
131 Posts
The comments the OP make sound like trolling to me... very first post? Hmmm..

Even if that's not the case, to try and dissuade all others from purchasing a Kia (what... are all Kia's crap now?) - just because you may have had a bad experience with your new Rio... is not the best way to vent. Sounds to me like you're suffering from buyers remorse - and having a faulty computer (which can be easily replaced by the way) has just lit the fire.

I understand your frustration (and sympathize), but demanding a full refund is not reasonable - and merely a knee-jerk reaction. I'm quite certain that your dealer is trying to figure out a suitable solution for you - but obviously slower than you would like. It happens. Be mature and deal with the situation in a friendly, yet assertive manner and I'm sure you will get positive results. It's only been 3 days after all. Relax. Breathe. It's going to be ok.

·
Registered
2012 Rio EX Sedan UVO Auto/Tanzanite blue/tinted windows/Vent visors
313 Posts
I tend to agree with RoguePC: only three days you had your Rio and you're asking for your money back or a new car. This will never happen. I'm in Canada too, and even if there were a lemon law, I'm sure a faulty computer wouldn't make your car eligible for being a lemon. But I agree with you. After only three days...I would be mad as hell and maybe show my frustration to my dealer. I can't believe your dealer will try to manipulate you through this only if he's sure he can do it and if he did, what good would there be here? First, let them install a new computer, require and don't compromise on this, that they lend you a car for free as long as the repairs go on. Maybe they don't have the piece at hands. Repairs may take some time. It's a very bad start with Kia I agree but I had the same experience with Chrysler when I bought my Neon 2000. Lot of problems in the two first years. Chrysler repaired the car each time. Been there: thought I had a lemon. Surprisingly, the car became trouble free for the next 10 years. So much that as for now, my Rio cannot make me forget totally my Neon. So my advice: be assertive with your dealer but never aggressive or insulting. Don't threaten them in any way. Been there too: a dealer don't give in to threats.

But if you're trolling...none of this matters. BTW: what model do you own and whre are you from in Ontario.

·
Registered
2012 Rio5 EX w Conv Pkg, Chestnut .......... 1997 Ford F-150
54 Posts
When you receive your new car it is a bummer if it has a problem. You do need to allow the manufacturer to make it better however. This may take a week or more to fix and hopefully all is well.

In the end this may be the best car this person ever owned. Much too early to be blasting Kia IMHO.

May also be someone Kia bashing, the competition perhaps?. Anyone searching "Kia" and "sucks" is going to pull up this post which is unfortunate as the bulk of stuff on this blog regarding the Rio is very positive. ........ Hopefully they read beyond the OP's comments.

Anxious to hear the outcome of this.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Purchased 2013 Kia rio August 3 2012, drove it for 4 days and the dealership service department has had it for the past 3 days and I don't expect to have it back anytime soon. The main computer which runs the car was faulty from the factory and the best they can do is quote the warranty, I think they should give me my money back or a new car ; the dealership is unwilling to do that. I live in Canada and there are laws for the consumer but it all takes time; as soon as I have my brand new car back I will contact Kia Canada and file a complaint with the Ontario Motor Vehicle Industry Council , but once you pay then its your baby and everyone seems to throw up their hands and say not my problem. I should mention this is the third Kia we have owned but it will definitly be the last. So disappointed and the service we received my 7 years old grand child could do better. No communication and no follow up. If you're out there don't purchase a Kia. In our complex there is a brand new ford focus, and a new Elantra neither one of these has had a lick of trouble, I should have taken a page from their book.
Well thank you all for your advice. I am 65 years old so I think I have some experience with purchasing a car; and as I mentioned this is the third Kia we have owned, as well as the Rio we also have a Serento, so Kia bashing or just venting wanting other unsuspecting buyers to be aware . And after checking the consumer laws for Ontario actually I do have a valid complaint for filing a claim , you have ten days after purchase if the vehicle is unsatisfactory mechanically etc in which to file a claim for full refund of your money whether or not you actually get it is another story. Buyers remorse no I don't think so; I was delighted with our purchase of a new Red Kia Rio EX with all the bells and whistles, my retirement car, gave my van to a much needy family with 4 kids. Although my van was 11 years old it was pristine and ran like silk, but wanted something smaller and a little sporty. The fact that the main computer failed should not be taken lightly as it operates pretty much everything and with out it functioning properly the driver is at risk because when the vehicle comes to a stop say at a red light or stop street when you step on the gas even peddle to the floor nothing much happens; it could quit at any time leaving the driver with no power and since the steering is now electric my guess is that would be affected also. And yes really disappointed with the dealership for their lack of communication with each other and the customer. And your right hopefully others looking for reviews of the new 2013 Kia Rio will see this post and perhaps ask more questions or look around for something else. I believe it's time the car manufacturers are held more accountable for the product they are putting out in the market place; I will definitely post the out come.Enjoyed reading all the comments

·
Registered
2016 Soul SX - Caribbean Blue
8,515 Posts
are they replacing the computer and did they provide you with a loaner? Puzzled as to how going through the hassle of filing a claim will help you, if it gets fixed isn't that the main thing.
There is no such thing as a perfect vehicle from any manufacturer, if there was they wouldn't have to provide any warranties.
You've just had bad luck, but who's to say you could have bought a Ford and something similar happened. Check out the forums on some of the other products and you will find similar stories.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Conwelpic some good thoughts; yes they offered me a loaner car but think about this I just paid good money for a brand new car which was pretty much broken from the get go I didn't have it 24 hours before the first incident so no I didn't accept their offer of a loaner because I don't need a loaner I need the new car I just paid for and I'm sure there are lots of stories out there some of them from other Kia owners; but this is my story and I'm not looking for sympathy or a pat answer I just wanted to make my story known because if we are all stoic about these incidents then that seems to give whoever a license to do whatever . So I'm mad and I'm venting publicly and if my little rant creates a ripple that costs Kia one sale then chaulk one up for the normally silent majority. Will filing a complaint help me I won't know until I try; and yes they may fix my car and I won't have another problem but given the odds so far that seems unlikely so if all that happens by filing a complaint is to have this incident on file then I guess it is worth it rather than wait until something else happens or it happens enough to deem the car a Lemon. But good chatting I feel some of the anxiety of the whole situation leaving. Thanks

·
Registered
8,515 Posts
glad I could help :D where in Ontario are you located?

I think perhaps your venting would do more good by posting your comments on the Kia Canada Facebook page and then you will know someone is aware of it.

I'm older than you and bought my Soul back last November and no problems so far and also I had a Kia before that. My dealer has been great and I get my vehicle serviced there all the time.

I don't blame you for being upset when you have just purchased it, sounds a bit like the PDI was perhaps not done thoroughly - do you have a copy of it?
However, if it happened to me I would not expect a replacement vehicle but would expect a loaner which shows that they are trying not to inconvenience you. It's a mechanical piece of equipment with about 30,000 parts so things can happen, it all depends how well you are looked after to correct the problem.

How long to get this replacement part?

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,412 Posts
I understand why you are upset,but it seems like they were trying to accommodate you. They offered you a loaner and diagnosed and ordered the part to repair your Rio, which is the most they could do. If they had the part in stock, they would have fixed it the same day, but its an ECM and very few of them are stocked because they rarely go bad. They are not obligated to replace your car, only repair it, in a suitable amount of time.

I think you are being a bit hasty to bash the car, the company, and the dealer. You've had two good Kias and a hiccup on your new one, which would be fixed already if parts were available.

As for parts ETA, if there is one in the country it should only be 2-3 days, depending on where it is sourced from. If it isn't in the country, then who knows.

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 SX Navi, it be Black Pearl... argh matey!
131 Posts
I sense a great deal stress from you grams - specifically about the fact that it's the computer itself that's the issue. Am I correct in thinking this? Certainly not trying to "take this lightly" but you do realize that every car built in the last 25+ years has a computer as it's brain? And Kia would not have built it either, as it would have likely come from one of two or three worldwide suppliers - as they all do.

Interestingly, I've personally had two cars that had computer problems (a Toyota Rav4 and a Honda Civic no less - two of the most reliable vehicles on the road), but neither was a big deal. Both were successfully repaired under warranty, and neither stranded me anywhere.

And I'm willing to bet that your delay is being caused internally. Getting approval to do the swap might take time as the damn things are uber expensive. Because of that, dealers won't automatically replace computers unless they are sure they will get reimbursed from the manufacturer. Otherwise, they end up eating the cost... $1500 or more... *yeee-ouch* No excuse for not keeping you in the loop though :rolleyes:

And really, a computer is one of the simplest and easiest fixes you can do - I assure you. Unbolt and unplug the defective one, plunk in a new one. It's typically a 10 minute job. Heck, it's no different than replacing a headlight bulb.. probably easier in the Rio's case... :D

So this is why some of us here think your reaction is a bit over the top. Refusing a loaner car and demanding your money back seems... uh, a tad unreasonable. You wouldn't be saying such things if it was a door latch that broke... would you?

... no disrespect meant here - just some things to chew on

·
Registered
2014 Abyss Blue Kia Forte EX Sedan
180 Posts
I bought a brand new 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GT, drove it about 15 miles after purchase and it throw a rod out the bottom of the engine. It took two weeks to get it replaced and they didn't want to give me a loaner until I called customer care.

Not trying to turn this into a pissing match, just saying anything can happen to any car no matter the make.

I never even fathomed asking for a new car, new engine yes but even a catastrophic failure like that would not justify a refund or a complete new vehicle.

Besides, if you are so down on the Rio and warning others to stay away, why would you even want a new car replacement?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you for your understanding. I am in Niagara Region. And yes FB is a good idea . I guess that's all I really want is for Kia to realize when there are problems someone down the line takes the consequences. The Dealer did offer me a loaner but I declined since I don't really need it and I am hoping it will speed things up. My car was left at the dealer Wednesday August 8th and they couldn't give me a date for the replacement part but maybe sometime this week (fingers crossed). I guess it has been an all around bad experience. when I bought the car the dealer had to find one for me; the Service M didn't read the contract and was looking for a 2012 and called and told me I HAD to take one of three colors they had in stock which I declined and said the color was not an option it had to be RED; he then called back and said he would have to up charge me 800 for options we were told came with the 2013 so finally in the course of the conversation the light went on with him and he realized we had purchased a 2013 he admitted he was not aware of the changes to the EX package for 2013 ; and on and on the story goes so this main computer thing was sort of the icing on the cake, so I would really like to get my money back and do something else or go somewhere else as I have no confidence in the Dealer and I know I will be nervous driving the car; I didn't sleep the night before thinking about taking the car on the highway to the dealership and what I would do if it quit (nervous frustration). But I will post the end result and I am going to post on FB. thank you have a great day.
Maggie

·
Registered
Accord, stick
206 Posts
Cars are made by machines, machines are made by humans and humans are nature's biggest error. Therefore ANY part in ANY car (even hand made Rolls if there is such thing) could be at fault.
My Accord had faulty main board controlling lights and whatnot and you could see the issue ONLY when driving with lights on, in the dark AND downshifting. It was little blink (light going to 50-60% of brightness for 1/4 of the second).
Service department ordered new part (I did not get faulty back as requested!) replaced and explained that 'few cases has been reported' but they do not warrant a recall ot whatever so ONLY if OWNER complains it will be replaced. Yes, wait time was involved to get new part; no I have not been offered a loaner; yes, I probably could lose my complete lighting at any time; no I did not panic and continued to enjoy my life.
Part came, get replaced, issue never reoccurred. Do I hate Honda? No. Will I buy Honda again? Most likely, if the make car I like (new Accord is Very promising). Will I buy KIA or Hyundai? Maybe.
So, take it easy and give service department chance to fix an issue. Go to another dealership if needed. Enjoy life. Do not sweat about car.
Pay attention - you did not buy $60,000 car; you bought cheap, small and practical car. Everything has a price...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Took your advice and posted on Kia Canada and got a response from them within 30 minutes saying a Customer Experience Rep will be in touch shortly. Okay so things are looking up . will keep you posted.
Maggie

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't want to mince words with you maybe Kia but because I bought a 25,000.00 car as opposed to a 40,000.00 should I expect less from the manufacturer. If you purchased a Rolex or a Timex wouldn't you expect both to work equally as well??? Just sayn. I don't think my expectations are too lofty and apparently either does Kia as per above post they contacted me within 30 minutes of my FB post so we shall see what the outcome is. And yes one of my requests will be to ask that they hook me up with a dealership service department who are more reliable. But thanks for your input

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
9,783 Posts
This is looking more and more like "a specific dealer sucks", which is unfortunate, but not unique to this car brand.

·
Registered
8,515 Posts
Took your advice and posted on Kia Canada and got a response from them within 30 minutes saying a Customer Experience Rep will be in touch shortly. Okay so things are looking up . will keep you posted.
Maggie
Just read your comments on Facebook. But remember on any problem its best to be professional about it and courteous no matter what, don't forget the people at the other end of the problem are people too and it you treat them like dirt more than likely you will get the same back - its a two way street. I used to be in various parts of the customer service field for 21 years and I know what its like.

Also here's another link to where you can pour out your frustrations with regards the dealer. DealerRater - Car Dealer Reviews, Car Dealer Directory, Vehicles For Sale, Vehicle Recalls

As you have had two KIA's you know this is not common occurrence, it's extremely rare.
You could have bought a new 2013 Ford Escape and look at the two recalls they've had on already (wonder how you would have reacted to that). There has been no recalls on the Rio.

·
Registered
8,515 Posts
I don't want to mince words with you maybe Kia but because I bought a 25,000.00 car as opposed to a 40,000.00 should I expect less from the manufacturer. If you purchased a Rolex or a Timex wouldn't you expect both to work equally as well???
I agree with you. Price of a vehicle has no relation to its reliability. According to Consumers Reports some of the least reliable vehicles and ones to avoid. In their September issue they list the following for models to avoid for long term reliability.

- Audi Q5 V6
- BMW X5 turbo 6
- Chrysler Town and Country minivan
- Dodge Grand Caravan minivan
- Dodge Journey
- GMC Acadia
- Jaguar XF
- Mercedes-Benz GL-Class
- Mini Cooper S

1 - 20 of 81 Posts