Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2nd hand Kia Rio 2009 LX Auto. I have two issues with it:
Sometimes when I'm stopped at the lights, the engine just cuts out. Only happens sometimes approx 2-3 time a week, then it will be fine for like 4 days and then happens again.
The other issue is, sometimes it won't start. This happens to me 3-4 times per week. Happens when engine is either cold or warm. Usually after about 15 minutes or 20 goes of cranking, it magically starts up. Battery has been replaced and terminals checked and tightened, yes there is a cranking sound, there is no engine or other warning lights that come up, the fuel pump makes an engaging sound at rear so that seems fine. Any ideas?

Could this be 2 separate issues or 1 issue causing both problems?

·
Registered
2008 Kia Rio5 SX m/t
26 Posts
Try replacing your Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor and your Throttle Position Sensor. I had similar problems to yours and the dealership replaced the TPS sensor and I replaced the MAP sensor myself. They're a bit difficult to reach but they're on the top of the engine and you can do it yourself. The parts will cost roughly $40 US for each but a car repair place will charge you hundreds of dollars do to it. I recommend rockauto.com for car parts.

Here's a diagram that shows their location. You can see that the sensors are tucked up close to the firewall so they're hard to get a wrench on but they're easy to get to other than that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have almost same problems, but for me sometimes I can't hear the noise og fuel pump.
Did found any solutions?
Yes, It is resolved now. I had the crankshaft sensor replaced. Hasnt occurred since being replaced. Problem solved. I hope this helps you...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have almost same problems, but for me sometimes I can't hear the noise og fuel pump.
Did found any solutions?
The replacement of the crankshaft sensor resolved both the problems I was having. (sometimes cutting out and sometimes not starting)

·
Registered
2006 Kia Rio LX 4dr 1.6L 4A
5 Posts
Possibly just a bad purge valve? Are you throwing an evap code as well or have any problem starting it after you gas up? If so try replacing the purge valve and that might fix it. Less than $20 on Amazon and a 10 minute fix.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts