1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I have Kia Rio 2006, 1,6L automatic

When I put my car in Drive, it is stuck in 2nd gear, but I can use P and R

I went to the dealer here in Iceland, and they can not connect to the transmission computer and tell me that the computer might be damaged, but they are not shure, told me to buy new computer and then they can answear me !

Can anyone help me, should I just buy new computer or do you have any magic tricks ? :eek:

Júlli

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,928 Posts
It sounds like the car is in "limp" mode. The TCM (transmission control module) mat be actually be bad although not a common failure item...I would be looking for bad connections at the transmission and the TCM and the wiring harness connections between them. I don't know if 06 Rios are common in Iceland or even if you have car scrap yards. If you do I would buy a TCM from them "used" as they really fail so seldomly and you can save a lot of money. Because the TCM won't communicaate with the ECM I would think that is why the "second only" gear and the physical transmission is probably OK.
Only other "trick" you may try is disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes to force a reset of the car's electronics...Be aware that you may get "secondary" problems from the "immobilizer" found commonly in the EU and Canada when power is lost.

What is the mileage/kms on the car?
Dave

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx for the reply
We have scrap yards :) but this car is not very common in Iceland, so no scrap yards have this type of Kia
I will try to disconnect the battery and test the plugs between computer and transmission hope that it will work

The car has 106.000 km on it

Júlli

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,928 Posts
106km on this car is considered "low" (60k miles).
A very common problem is corrosion on connections. Ground/earth returns (wires bolted to the engine/frame/body) cause many problems with KIAs. You need to unbolt them clean to bare metal, apply silicon grease, and re-assemble them. There is a "range selector" on the automatic (usually on top) that tells the TCM what gear has been selected. You can see it move when someone moves the shift lever through the gears (P/R/D/2/1)...That also can create confusion for the TCM...
What sticks in my mind is the TCM can't talk to the ECM and out to the OBDII port...
I don't know if the TCM has it's "own" fuse or if you could even select Rev and Drive (in your case 2nd gear) with it blown but it may be possible that without power to the TCM it "might" be capable of a very limited "limp" mode like you have...This could also be why the TCM can't talk to the ECM... The range selector switch (see above) has been known to short out and could blow the TCM fuse in other KIAs.

I just looked at "car-part.com" for Ohio/USA and they show the TCM as part of the BCM (body control module) they list it as a "Chassis control Box" and the correct part # has to do with if the car has or doesn't have roof mounted air bags... Strange..
They sell here for around $50~125 US$... It's located inside the center console so you might want to check it's connections also.
Dave

1 - 4 of 4 Posts