Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to thank the forum for allowing me, with his advice, to solve the problem that has tormented me for many days.
My Kia Rio 1.5 year 2006 often was not running when I turned the ignition key. The immobilizer warning light remained off and only after several attempts, the light was lit and allowed to set in motion.
Reading your advice I solved the problem and now the Rio is back in top form.
Assistance in Italy could not figure out what to do and has proposed to change: the control unit (about € 700), or the immobilizer or buy a new coded key (about 250 euro)
In fact, the immobilizer was not broken, otherwise he would have turned on the light with a flash of flash.
So it was a bad electrical contact due to even minimal oxidation.
I then used a small file to thoroughly clean the fuse sensor and the two fuses on the controller.
After that I removed the cover under the steering wheel and I freed the ignition lock where you insert the key to start.
I unplugged the connector RF antenna which is arranged around the block ignition and is well recognized being a circle of black plastic.
I clean the connector plugged in and turned the ignition key and the light finally appeared immediately with the icon of the drive that contains a key inside.
Now that I write my Kia Rio 2006 is beautifully and every departure is OK.
For those, like me, have problems with the immobilizer and sometimes fails to make the setting in motion of the Rio can provide (free) the details to solve the problem.

saluti a tutti
renzo

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,922 Posts
renzo...
Welcome to kia-forums...
It's good to see your post... I'm sure you will help other kia owners in the future.
Dave

·
Registered
2006 Kia Rio 1.4 16v dohc
105 Posts
Oh good, another italian that have a 2g Kia rio. I have the 1.4 gasoline (i think your car is 1.5 CRDI, so diesel) and i wrote about the exact problem months ago, solved in the same way ;) However the problem is the antenna itself (the black circle) and the connector plug and new have a low cost (if i don't remember bad 20-30 euro).

Byeeee

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, (DavesSpectra and Blkid) this forum is a beautiful reality.
I am very pleased with the Rio and 110,000 km I have not had major problems in fact consider the Kia a good car manufacturer.
I certainly can not say the same thing that there are some dealers in Lazio.

Blkid in which region are you?

hello
renzo

·
Registered
2006 Kia Rio 1.4 16v dohc
105 Posts
actually i'm in Rome, but i was born and lived in puglia up two years ago. And you?

·
Registered
2005 Kia Rio ii 1.5 CRDI
1 Posts
I would like to thank the forum for allowing me, with his advice, to solve the problem that has tormented me for many days.
My Kia Rio 1.5 year 2006 often was not running when I turned the ignition key. The immobilizer warning light remained off and only after several attempts, the light was lit and allowed to set in motion.
Reading your advice I solved the problem and now the Rio is back in top form.
Assistance in Italy could not figure out what to do and has proposed to change: the control unit (about € 700), or the immobilizer or buy a new coded key (about 250 euro)
In fact, the immobilizer was not broken, otherwise he would have turned on the light with a flash of flash.
So it was a bad electrical contact due to even minimal oxidation.
I then used a small file to thoroughly clean the fuse sensor and the two fuses on the controller.
After that I removed the cover under the steering wheel and I freed the ignition lock where you insert the key to start.
I unplugged the connector RF antenna which is arranged around the block ignition and is well recognized being a circle of black plastic.
I clean the connector plugged in and turned the ignition key and the light finally appeared immediately with the icon of the drive that contains a key inside.
Now that I write my Kia Rio 2006 is beautifully and every departure is OK.
For those, like me, have problems with the immobilizer and sometimes fails to make the setting in motion of the Rio can provide (free) the details to solve the problem.

saluti a tutti
renzo
Hello, this post is just to thank you and this forum because I had the same problem and this solved it!

I would like to contribute by adding a few things I noticed in my case that may help others.

I have a Kia Rio 2005 1.5 CRDI, and to remove the cover behind the steering wheel I had 3 screws, one in the bottom next to the adjusting height lever, and two behind the wheel itself in each side... so I had to turn the wheel to the right and unscrew one, and turn to the left to unscrew the other. Then detached the top and bottom plastic covers with the thinnest screwdriver’s head possible, easing it along the cracks. Raising and lowering the wheel, while pullthe covers apart by grabbing the opening next to the lever also helped.

Then did as pretty much described here. One screw to detach the black plastic ring, unplugged the connector and cleaned both with WD40 and cloth.

Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 2013 BMW K1600 GTL
11,242 Posts
Hello, this post is just to thank you and this forum because I had the same problem and this solved it!

I would like to contribute by adding a few things I noticed in my case that may help others.

I have a Kia Rio 2005 1.5 CRDI, and to remove the cover behind the steering wheel I had 3 screws, one in the bottom next to the adjusting height lever, and two behind the wheel itself in each side... so I had to turn the wheel to the right and unscrew one, and turn to the left to unscrew the other. Then detached the top and bottom plastic covers with the thinnest screwdriver’s head possible, easing it along the cracks. Raising and lowering the wheel, while pullthe covers apart by grabbing the opening next to the lever also helped.

Then did as pretty much described here. One screw to detach the black plastic ring, unplugged the connector and cleaned both with WD40 and cloth.

Thank you!
Using the below link, please add location and vehicle (year & model) to your User Account/Profile

eg.
USA
2019 Sportage 2.7L V6 SX turbo AWD

https://www.kia-forums.com/threads/update-vehicle-information.342909/#post-2012499

https://www.kia-forums.com/threads/forum-rules.27240/

Tip: after updating your info, hit “like” on this post, and it will serve as a prompt to remove it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts