Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay this is driving me up the wall.

I start up my rio, everything is fine till it warms up.. it starts losing power it seems and at 4000rpm it makes a squealing noise like the belt was loose. (I tried tightening it) the other day I even got a tc, engine misfire on cylinder 4.

What is that noise from! !! Please help, I really need my car for work.
I'll do what it takes even rebuild the engine lol

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,924 Posts
Wish I had a crystal ball to see more information about your car..:)
With it being a 2001 I would think the mileage would be in the range of 120~160k miles... Have you checked for stored OBDII codes? the CEL (check engine light) does not have to be on for codes to be stored...
The first thing that comes to mind is the catalytic converters may be at their end and are now plugged.. This causes back pressure and it limits the power at higher RPMs... A pressure gauge at the first O2 sensor "bung hole" should read under 3PSI..If it is over you have blockage in the exhaust (Cats).
ronjohn (a regular RIO owner here) will second this diagnoisis as his early 2000 Rio had plugged cats and NO POWER...
Like I said no crystal ball...so it's a guess...
Dave

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry for the lack of info.

As far as the mileage goes idk I had to drop a new engine in it after the timing belt failed on the last.

As for trouble codes all I have is 1 and that's a engine misfire code on cylinder 4 that shows up if I run the It for a while or on the freeway for 5 miles.

I can still look into the converter if you think that would be worth looking into.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,924 Posts
The thing is that the exhaust pipes/cats/muffler/resonator are STILL the same even though you replaced the engine...They STILL have the mileage of the old engine and NOW the replacement engine running in the car...so say the old had 90k miles and the replacement has run another 50k miles the exhaust has now has 140k miles of use on it...See what I'm getting at?

The catalytic beads/honeycomb are/is an expendable/wear item...After so many hours/miles of use they WILL plug up and loose efficiency and "can" cause you back pressure problems...

If you replaced the exhaust WITH the donor engine then you could discount the wear to the amount that was on the donor engine only..

The misfire problems "can" also be attributed to the back pressure keeping fresh air/fuel from getting into the cylinder and the spark trying to ignite that mixture of fresh and burnt air/fuel.
Dave

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Total it has 120k miles.

As far as the converter being the problem, I know I don't have proper test equipment for that. Cant I rule out the converter by leaving it off? Besides the codes will that work?

Btw Thank you very much for the help Dave. I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
2002 Kia Rio, 2011 Kia Sorento 2005 f 250 1996 geo metro 1992 f 150
1,023 Posts
I second that Dave, but the squelling noise IDK. How about the water pump bearings i hope you changed the pump when you put the other engine in. Do you have power going up a hill? another thing i wrote down in my book is the cam posisition sensor pickup on the end of the cam not the sensor itself the flag on the end of the cam.http://www.kiatechinfo.com/ for service materials and schematics free in the usa. My second cat was blocked up i had no power going up a small hill going down just fine. if you have 2 cat's try disconnecting the pipe between the two cat's and see if that helps. Thanks to the guy's here esp, davesspectra, got it fixed busted out the second cat and the car still lives. Were here to help if we can. Best of luck and keep us informed. oh by the way it was around 130k when i had my issue changed alot of stuff but it ended up being a blocked 2nd cat. Reguard's Ronjohn

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay good news, I disconnected the sensor below the exhaust manifold tested it out and guess what?

NO SQUEALLING! NO LOSS OF POWER! Now I got to find out which one apparently being there's two.

Thanks for all the info, your thoughts were all appreciated. Seriously can't thank you guys enough.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts