Kia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio5 LX mtx
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received a second email from Kia concerning the fuel mileage thingie, & did their estimator. Based on my mileage & state (and whatever else they go by), I'm due an estimated $193.32 ("The payments would be made by debit cards that can be refreshed every year as long as the person owns the car"). The dealer should have this info within one business day (according to Kia), so they can verify I'm still the owner, my mileage, and whatever else they need to do.

Any question as to whether it's worth it? Two bills a year for as long as I own it? I think so. :lol:

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
So let me get this straight. If you've have the car for a while and have put some mileage on it already you will get a larger amount and can renew this larger amount each year. If you just bought the car a short time ago you will get a smaller amount (understandable) but will only be able to refill the card with that small amount each year (not understandable).

Why should you get to renew for the larger amount while someone currently with less miles can only renew the small amount? I'm not understanding the logic.

By the way...this is not directed at you specifically RioBravo.

·
Registered
'13 Rio5 LX Manual, '15 ZX14R, Honda VFR800, Ducati 748, '87 Buick Grand National, '13 Subaru BRZ
101 Posts
As I understand it, each time you make a claim they base the amount you get on your miles driven. So this year you may have low miles and get a small payment, next year you may have many more miles and get a larger payment.

·
Registered
2013 Soul+ Shadow, 1970 Opel GT 1.9 CIH 4M
142 Posts
As I understand it, each time you make a claim they base the amount you get on your miles driven. So this year you may have low miles and get a small payment, next year you may have many more miles and get a larger payment.
Yes - That is my take as well. I'm pretty sure a few heads rolled at Hyundai/KIA for this EPA procedure "misunderstanding". The staggering amount of money involved here is totally mind boggling...

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
Yes - That is my take as well. I'm pretty sure a few heads rolled at Hyundai/KIA for this EPA procedure "misunderstanding". The staggering amount of money involved here is totally mind boggling...
They may have to cut their advertising budget by 1% to pay for it.

·
Registered
12 RIO 5 SX, 07 VW Passat 2.0L turbo 1952 Siata Diana
168 Posts
You first have to go to: www.kiampginfo.com. You have to fill out a form. Have your vehicle info handy. Vin#, date of purchase, mileage when purchased, present mileage, are you still the owner. etc.
My Rio SX is eleven months old with 11,063 miles. I have an estimated refund of $90.
Processing takes a few weeks

·
Registered
2013 Soul+ Shadow, 1970 Opel GT 1.9 CIH 4M
142 Posts

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,526 Posts
and remember you have up to December 1, 2013 to register, so its not something you have to do right away if you don't want too.

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
What a Dick :mad:
Wtf??? My comment was in reference to the amount Kia spends on advertising. Which, in Canada anyway, is astronomical. What is ur problem dude?

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio5 LX mtx
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So let me get this straight. If you've have the car for a while and have put some mileage on it already you will get a larger amount and can renew this larger amount each year. If you just bought the car a short time ago you will get a smaller amount (understandable) but will only be able to refill the card with that small amount each year (not understandable).

Why should you get to renew for the larger amount while someone currently with less miles can only renew the small amount? I'm not understanding the logic.

By the way...this is not directed at you specifically RioBravo.
I'm *assuming* that when it comes time to "refresh" the card, they'll go by the mileage driven between each "refresh". I've driven +26,000 this first year, and get $193, Next year, my odo might read 40,000, and I get reimbursed for the 14,000 driven. Not sure how they're going to do it. I won't hit my dealer up until Monday, though.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sorento EX+
410 Posts
I'm *assuming* that when it comes time to "refresh" the card, they'll go by the mileage driven between each "refresh". I've driven +26,000 this first year, and get $193, Next year, my odo might read 40,000, and I get reimbursed for the 14,000 driven. Not sure how they're going to do it. I won't hit my dealer up until Monday, though.
as i understand, they just pay you for however many km's you have driven since the last time they paid you.
presumably, you could register, then wait like 10 years to go in and get paid, and they would just pay you for your 200,000 km's or whatever you are at, or you could go in once a year and get for 20,000 km's or whatever you are at.

i think they are just paying straight km's driven over the life of your car.... and you can refill whenever you like and claim for the km's driven since the last time you refilled.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio5 LX mtx
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Oh...I also read that once you go to the dealer to get the mileage verified & such, it takes 4-5 weeks to get said card.

LordHelmet: Yeah, it may be one of those "come in once a year" things. I'll try to find out more Monday. Shoot...they may not even know.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just tried the mpg website. I see they have the estimator running now, didnt last week. I still dont see where you register??? I filled in the vin & other info for the estimator - is that supposed to be the registration?

·
Registered
'13 Rio5 // LX Clear White w/ Pwr Pkg
83 Posts
and remember you have up to December 1, 2013 to register, so its not something you have to do right away if you don't want too.
This is good news, I just bought my Rio5 LX this evening, lol.

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
This is good news, I just bought my Rio5 LX this evening, lol.
I would imagine that means that you won't be eligible for the rebates since the new epa figures are available.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,526 Posts
I would imagine that means that you won't be eligible for the rebates since the new epa figures are available.
he does, it applies to any new 2013 model, doesn't matter when you purchased it. You have till December 1, 2013 to register and make you claim.

this questions on this site https://kiafuelconsumption.ca/faq

I bought one of the affected vehicles, but did not take delivery until after the Nov. 2 cut off date. Will I be entitled to the compensation once I take delivery?

Yes, compensation will be calculated using the same formula as for existing customers, from the time you take delivery of the vehicle for as long as you retain its ownership.

or this site in the US https://kiampginfo.com/faq

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio5 LX mtx
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just came back fro the dealer...they sent me to Service, and the guy asked for the printout from the estimator and my registration receipt. Jotted down my car's info, & said it'd be a few weeks before I got my debit card in the mail. He couldn't give me any particulars, like if the card acted like a standard debit card or more like a gas only fuel card.

I'm reading more info from the kiampginfo page...they're adding an additional 15% for inconvenience. And it's good for as long as you own the car.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sorento EX+
410 Posts
Just came back fro the dealer...they sent me to Service, and the guy asked for the printout from the estimator and my registration receipt. Jotted down my car's info, & said it'd be a few weeks before I got my debit card in the mail. He couldn't give me any particulars, like if the card acted like a standard debit card or more like a gas only fuel card.

I'm reading more info from the kiampginfo page...they're adding an additional 15% for inconvenience. And it's good for as long as you own the car.
in canada we are getting prepaid credit cards (according to dealer) that can be used to buy whatever you want, doesn't need to be car related at all. not sure why they don't just cut cheques, but maybe this is cheaper and they get some sort of incentive from the credit card company.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts