Kia Forum banner

161 - 180 of 206 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Forte SX 2.4L (thankfully MPI) A/T 144K miles
1,140 Posts
... and it looks like a bunch of 15/16’s are now having metal shavings in the oil and engine stalling, Kia is sticking the bill with the owner. ....
How many is a 'bunch', and what reason is Kia giving for denying powertrain warranty?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well add me to the list of blown up engines. Pulled the oil filter and it was full of metal shavings.

Now the dealer wants $1000 to just pull the motor and diagnose it.

We need to start a class action suit on this. We need only 40 people to technically start a suit. I can help get the ball rolling if anyone wants to start down this road.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
... We need to start a class action suit on this. ....
Do you realize you're posting in a thread about recalled engines? Most of the 'we' in this thread are being covered by the recall, and would have no need to join a class action suit.

You supplied no information about your engine, or vehicle for that matter. Is it one not covered by this recall?

·
Registered
Sportage 2013
6 Posts
Well add me to the list of blown up engines. Pulled the oil filter and it was full of metal shavings.

Now the dealer wants $1000 to just pull the motor and diagnose it.

We need to start a class action suit on this. We need only 40 people to technically start a suit. I can help get the ball rolling if anyone wants to start down this road.
I am in. Now you need 39.

·
Registered
2013 Optima SX
1 Posts
68k miles 2013 2.4 Turbo / Engine Failure

2013 Kia Optima SX Technology pkg - Year, Make, Model, Trim
2.0 Turbo / No mods - Engine/Performance Mods
68,000 - Mileage at the time of failure
Rod Bearing - Determined cause of engine failure
Yes - Was proper maintenance performed?
Dealer is awaiting replacement engine and has provided me a free rental car and assures that there will be zero out of pocket costs. - Was it covered under warranty?
Yes, 100% - Did KIA approve car rental/reimbursement?
I'll update later this week perhaps... if engine arrives at dealer. - What was the outcome?

·
Registered
2012 SX Sportage
180 Posts
Another victim (‘12 SX) my car passed the initial test but ended up “locking up” and is going to be replaced. Is it usually a long block replacement or short?

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Another victim (‘12 SX) my car passed the initial test but ended up “locking up” and is going to be replaced. Is it usually a long block replacement or short?
Long block is the standard set by Hyundai for the Sonata, but there has not been enough history on the KIA side to say what is 'usual'. I'd expect long block, simply because the automakers prefer to have the least amount of wrenching by the techs as possible. The last thing they want to see, on top of the huge mess they already have, is replacement engine failures due to incorrectly installed heads.

However, turbo replacement under recall was not included for the Sonatas, and a few owners reported paying for that replacement out-of-pocket. They did so out of concern that metal fragments in the old turbo would travel back into the rest of the engine. No idea if that's a real concern/possibility or not.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima EX
3 Posts
I have a 2011 Kia Optima EX, On 01/06/2018 I was doing 80 mph on the highway. I went to pass a car and had no acceleration. I rolled up my window and did not hear anything. I stepped on the gas and heard a terrible rattle. I started over to the slow lane, I had NO warning lights of any kind. As I proceeded into the slow lane I heard a loud bang. All the instrument panel lights lit up, my car quit running and I had no power steering and the brakes felt like I was stepping on a rock. I was able to get onto the shoulder and opened my hood to access things. I had oil all over my engine compartment and I found a chunk of metal on the lower part of the compartment. I grabbed a glove and pulled out the metal. As soon as I looked at it I knew I had blown a rod. I had it towed home. On Monday I had it towed to the dealer. They told me there had been a recall on my engine. They stated that they had checked it in June when they had it for service work and it was fine. After all the protocall for the manufacturer was completed they informed me that it was indeed the recall and they would be ordering a new engine. They also put me in a courtesy car until it's fixed. They said it would be about a week until my car was complete. Grande Kia in Colorado has been GREAT regarding this matter. They have kept in contact with me and me informed. I hope to have my car back soon.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
... Grande Kia in Colorado has been GREAT regarding this matter. They have kept in contact with me and me informed. I hope to have my car back soon.
Good to read this has gone well for you so far!

Just curious what the oil change history has been with your vehicle, and also if you ever checked the oil in between changes.

edit: removed suggestion because it was posted in the wrong thread

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima EX
3 Posts
I was very meticulous with my oil changes and checked my oil everytime I put fuel in. Never had a leak or any burning of oil.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I was very meticulous with my oil changes and checked my oil everytime I put fuel in. Never had a leak or any burning of oil.
Good to read that you checked the oil, but what mileage interval did you change the oil at, what oil viscosity and type (syn, non-syn), and which filter did you use?

·
Registered
Sportage 2013
6 Posts
Good to read that you checked the oil, but what mileage interval did you change the oil at, what oil viscosity and type (syn, non-syn), and which filter did you use?
Regular oil changes did not matter in my specific case. The oil was changed at or before 3,000 miles for life of the vehicle. Engine replacement via extended warranty coverage was denied by Kia.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima EX
3 Posts
I changed it at 3000-3500 miles because I drive stop and go in the city. I used 5w20 oil and the oil changes were done at the dealer. I believe they used non synthetic until my last one and they use synthetic after that. I did not have any problems with my case. They didn't need me to provide service records because they had it all. The only service I have done elsewhere was for my tires. I haven't needed anything but regular maintenance. My car has been a great car. Did they say why they denied your claim?

·
Registered
2012 SX Sportage
180 Posts
Has anyone had the turbo replaced under this recall? Or does anyone have concerns of the turbos themselves with the motors that have been replaced due to the recall? IE is it possible for the metal shavings that damages the engine to enter the turbo chargers oil passage way and damage it?

·
Registered
2011 KIA Sportage SX, 2020 KIA Sportage SX
13 Posts
And AFA replacement goes, if an engine fails the sound test, or it blows within the extended warranty period, it gets replaced.
From "Basis of Safety Defect Determination 573.6(c)(6)"

"KMA advises dealers that coverage under the Extended Warranty Program does not require maintenance records."
https://consumermediallc.files.wordpress.com/2017/04/rmisc-17v224-3802.pdf

Consumer Media LLC
43480 Yukon Drive, Suite 215
Ashburn, Virginia 20147

I don't know who Consumer Meia LLC is. Can anyone verify that KMA does not require maintenance records for engine replacement under this recall?

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
... Can anyone verify that KMA does not require maintenance records for engine replacement under this recall?
I'm not aware of KIA putting that explicitly in writing in any of the owner letters. However their Q&A sheet did have:
"Are there any restrictions on an owner’s eligibility?". The answer to that question was "no", which would seemingly apply to maintenance records as well. I'm not aware of anyone having one of these recalled and failed engines being denied recall coverage due to insufficient maintenance records. But that certainly does not mean it hasn't happened, or at least attempted. But, with so many eyes focused on KIA/Hyundai at this point, I wouldn't lose any sleep over one of these recalls being denied.

·
Registered
2012 SX Sportage
180 Posts
Has anyone had the turbo replaced under this recall? Or does anyone have concerns of the turbos themselves with the motors that have been replaced due to the recall? IE is it possible for the metal shavings that damages the engine to enter the turbo chargers oil passage way and damage it?
I was just told today that the Engine and Turbo will be replaced in my case and the waste gate actuator will be adjusted. Let see if it actually get done.

·
Registered
2012 SX Sportage
180 Posts
I was just told today that the Engine and Turbo will be replaced in my case and the waste gate actuator will be adjusted. Let see if it actually get done.
Looks like they did everything they said they would. I'm not to happy they didn't replace the serpentine belt ( I would've paid to have it replaced since the motor was already out of the car). Looks like they reused the alternator, entire air intake system Possibly the Exhaust manifold and some other small things. I had no idea about the RF axle...

Attachments

·
Registered
Sportage 2013
6 Posts
Kia service manager called me to remind me that my Sportage is due for maintenance. I asked him if he wanted to have it towed to the dealership, for its oil change, radiator and transmission flush, and engine replacement. He looked up my account and said sorry but no. I told him he could f-k off and take me off his call list. Kia Sucks!

161 - 180 of 206 Posts