Kia Forum banner

181 - 200 of 206 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sorento
3 Posts
So, I'm jumping in kind of late to the party. We actually don't own a kia yet (although I did own a Kia Rio years ago). We've been looking at a 2012 Kia Sorento with 71K miles. According to the VIN# the recall service hasn't been done yet. My question is, does anyone know the regulation for bringing in a vehicle that was not originally purchased new from the dealer? Also, how long with the recall be active? My worry is with only 71K miles, it drives fine now, but lets say in 2 years it does fail. Will the recall still be active? I have not been able to find online an end date to the recall.

·
Registered
2011 KIA Sportage SX, 2016 Ford Focus RS
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #182
Recall is good for any dealer. My wife actually had the recall test done on our Sportage up in Salt Lake City while on a road trip, she took it in for wastegate adjustment and they offered to do recall.
Also, I don't remember seeing anything that stated how long the recall will be active. It might fall under the same 120k miles that the engine warranty was extended to in the letter we received last year.

But in the end, is the Sorento under the recall?

·
Registered
2014 Sportage SX FWD
220 Posts
So, I'm jumping in kind of late to the party. We actually don't own a kia yet (although I did own a Kia Rio years ago). We've been looking at a 2012 Kia Sorento with 71K miles. According to the VIN# the recall service hasn't been done yet. My question is, does anyone know the regulation for bringing in a vehicle that was not originally purchased new from the dealer? Also, how long with the recall be active? My worry is with only 71K miles, it drives fine now, but lets say in 2 years it does fail. Will the recall still be active? I have not been able to find online an end date to the recall.
I don't think that this is a "Recall" my understanding is that it is being treated more as a warranty issue. As far as I know the 10yr-100,000mi powertrain warranty is for original buyers..there might something available if buying a "Certified used car" from a dealer otherwise I think its 5yrs-60,000mi.

·
Premium Member
2011 EX Sportage AWD
26 Posts
Probably a dumb question - but I'm seeing in a couple other posts that ALL Sportage engines (not just the Turbo) are eligible for the recall. However, the official recall itself still lists only the Turbo. Does anyone have any clarification?

Mine is a 2011 automatic non-turbo EX.

·
Registered
Kia Sportage Si 2.0l 5 speed manual 2011
91 Posts
Is it a world wide issue ur just a specific engine manufacturing plant, as there is no such action in Australia, but we get our cars manafactured in South Korea.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #186
Probably a dumb question - but I'm seeing in a couple other posts that ALL Sportage engines (not just the Turbo) are eligible for the recall. However, the official recall itself still lists only the Turbo. Does anyone have any clarification?

Mine is a 2011 automatic non-turbo EX.
It's just the GDI engines, the first couple years of the 3G Sportage the non-turbo was multi-port injection which that engine isn't covered. I forgot which year they went to GDI, 2013 or 2014? At any rate, yours wouldn't be covered unless something recently changed.

·
Premium Member
2011 EX Sportage AWD
26 Posts
It's just the GDI engines, the first couple years of the 3G Sportage the non-turbo was multi-port injection which that engine isn't covered. I forgot which year they went to GDI, 2013 or 2014? At any rate, yours wouldn't be covered unless something recently changed.
Ok - thanks for the clarification. I'm now seeing other threads that the '13 GDI engines are showing similar issues as well, so maybe I'm safe with the '11.

·
Registered
2011 KIA Sportage SX, 2020 KIA Sportage SX
13 Posts
I received the same letter from KIA America for my 2011 KIA Sportage SX 2.0 Turbo as referenced in the Optima forum as shown below:

"Just received a letter from KIA that detailed a 'Product Improvement Campaign' to update the 'Knock Sensor Detection System' (KSDS) software on my 2.4L GDI engine. This update is supposed to extend the warranty on my engine to 'lifetime' in case of a rod bearing wear failure...Anybody have any details or history on this type of failure?"

·
Registered
2011 Forte SX 2.4L (thankfully MPI) A/T 144K miles
1,152 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I own a 2013 Kia Sportage and on the 26th of December, I spun a bearing. had slight engine knock a month ago so I took my car to Kit because I was just made aware of the recall on these engines on my own. no notification from Kia. so I took it to Kia to have it inspected a month ago. They advised me that my Vin which they ran did not fall in that engine recall list. They inspected my engine and said there was engine sludge which I inspected myself & always change the oil myself within 3,000 miles and was as clean as you would expect with a car with 110,000 miles but no sludge when I inspected it. I know Kia states its not required till 5,000 miles but I am use to doing oil changes at 3,000 intervals on all my cars and never had this issue. Kia they then told me I would have to pay $180 for them to tear down my engine to inspect further only. I would have to pay to put it back together once inspected & if engine was bad I would also have to Pay $7,000 for a replacement. I spoke to Kia and they insisted it was my responsibility and could not help me. right now this car sits in my driveway which I am still paying monthly on with no help from Kia. now I am going to remove the Pan and inspect soon.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not to Hijack

Took my 2016 Sorrento with 30k miles into the dealer today for oil light coming on. Just got a phone call stating my entire engine needs to be replaced due to metal shavings in the oil. Luckily, this is covered under warranty.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #192
Took my 2016 Sorrento with 30k miles into the dealer today for oil light coming on. Just got a phone call stating my entire engine needs to be replaced due to metal shavings in the oil. Luckily, this is covered under warranty.
What engine is in your Sorrento?

·
Registered
2015 Kia Sportage
25 Posts
You know, it's unreal that Hyundai and Kia had a known problem with these engines since 2011 and they continue to have the same problem. I have a 2015 Sportage and absolutely love the vehicle, but it has a 2.4 litre Petro engine and has 37000 on the clock. Everything about the vehicle I like from the look to the ride. I am so anxious about the engine because I bought it used and am financing it. I would of went with a Toyota Rav 4 if I knew about the engines before hand, but the Rav front end is hideous. I can't stand that nose on them. Toyota engines are like tanks, I don't know why all manufacturers don't reverse engineer those engines. The thing about Toyota is their styling is horrible, the New Rav is nice looking though. If Kia could of just fixed the problem with the engines, I believe these would sell better. The front of the Sportage is up to a personal taste and I actually like the look of the 2020 front end on them. I also believe that the problem with the engine is that it is a gdi and therefore causing pre ignition making the Piston go out of it's usual rotation timing. I don't believe the story of shavings left from the factory. How many of these blown engines did people actually use something like techron to clean the Piston carbon and how many actually had the valves cleaned. I think Kia and Hyundai need to use a multi port fuel injection system like Toyota and somehow increase the gas mileage of the motor. The vehicle is just amazing other than this most important part of it.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #195
I also believe that the problem with the engine is that it is a gdi and therefore causing pre ignition making the Piston go out of it's usual rotation timing. I don't believe the story of shavings left from the factory. How many of these blown engines did people actually use something like techron to clean the Piston carbon and how many actually had the valves cleaned. I think Kia and Hyundai need to use a multi port fuel injection system like Toyota and somehow increase the gas mileage of the motor. The vehicle is just amazing other than this most important part of it.

All direct injection engines have the potential for carbon build up on the valves. This can lead to possible compression and pre-igntion issues but that is a lot different from the engine failures KIA owners have seen. If you have a carbon build up problem on the valves there will usually be lots of symptoms instead of just a sudden lock up.
Despite the drawbacks, direct injection is the fuel system going forward because it can more precisely control fueling and get the perfect mixture, multi-port will go away.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Sportage
25 Posts
I really do love this vehicle. I don't like having a vehicle that everyone else has ....(the RAV4). I like the look of this and everything about it. The engine problem gives me anxiety though. Love the look of Kia's from the optima to the new telluride. I'm a big fan of Kia styling from the tiger nose to the interiors. I just hoped the motor would be better.

·
Registered
2015 Sportage EX FWD
6 Posts
You probably would pay another 4-5 grand for the RAV. That was the deal killer for me. I also prefer Kia styling. Toyota styling, gag-hurl!

·
Registered
2015 Kia Sportage
25 Posts
The new Rav is nice looking, but the previous years with that front endoverbite are freaking ugly. The Sportage has it beat in looks and style by a mile. People are not buying the Sportage because of the badge snobbery. I love my Sportage, it is so much more sporty looking. I actually like the nose of the new one, saw one on the highway today, it is different and that's why I like it. I see hundreds of the old model ravs on my way to work, and people buy them because of their reliability. But, boy are they just ugly. They are just a bland looking vehicle. Kia's styling has it all over Toyotas from the cars to the cuvs. If this vehicle is dependable I could see myself buying a newer model sportage on down the line. Praying that she is. Kia may of just got a loyal customer if so.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sportage
4 Posts
Doug ole boy I have a 2011 Sportage with the 2.4 engine and have just turned 200 thousand miles with not even one check engine light in the entire time I have been driving it. I bought it used in 2012 with 40K on it. I change the oil every 4k and use synthetic oil.

·
Registered
2011 Forte SX 2.4L (thankfully MPI) A/T 144K miles
1,152 Posts
Doug ole boy I have a 2011 Sportage with the 2.4 engine and have just turned 200 thousand miles with not even one check engine light in the entire time I have been driving it. I bought it used in 2012 with 40K on it. I change the oil every 4k and use synthetic oil.
Your vehicle's 2.4 engine is an MPI, not the GDI that's being discussed in this thread. Too bad Kia/Hyundai didn't just continue to use that same MPI engine, instead of creating the nightmare that they did.

181 - 200 of 206 Posts