Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 206 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't have my VIN handy to check the recall link at the bottom, but sounds like they may be doing something about the manufacturing debris.

Hyundai, Kia recall 1.2M cars for possible engine failure - Story | KSAZ

DETROIT (AP) - Hyundai and Kia are recalling nearly 1.2 million cars and SUVs because the engines can fail and stall, increasing the risk of a crash.

The recall covers the Korean automakers' most popular models including 2013 and 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport SUVs and Sonata midsize cars. Also covered are Kia Optima midsize cars from 2011 through 2014, Kia Sportage SUVs from 2011 through 2013 and Kia Sorento SUVs from 2012 through 2014.

by Taboola Sponsored Links Ad Content
Are you suffering as a result of low customer satisfaction?
Microsoft
Do You Know What Your Surname Means?
Ancestry
The companies say that debris left from manufacturing can restrict oil flow to connecting rod bearings. That can increase temperatures and cause the bearings to wear and fail.

Hyundai and Kia will notify owners and dealers will inspect the engines. They'll replace the block if needed at no cost. The recall is scheduled to start on May 19.

LINKS:

Kia recalls: Information on Kia Recalls | Kia Owners
Hyundai recalls: https://autoservice.hyundaiusa.com/campaignhome

·
Registered
64 Posts
Recall

I just saw there was a recall today. I have entered my VIN but it says no recall. I have been on this forum before talking about how my Sportage sounds like a diesel when it runs. My mechanic says that's just what foreign cars sound like. My gut says otherwise. I even have uploaded a video of the knocking. But everyone just says it's the sound of the lifters. The recall notice said the recall would not begin till May 19th. So is that why when I enter my VIN it says no recalls? And is anyone else's sound like a diesel?

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
when a recall is announced on the news it can be sometime before all the VIN numbers would get input to provide the details, its not always instantaneous. You will get an official letter from KMA (in the US) or KIA Canada stating your vehicles is under the recall order.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
when a recall is announced on the news it can be sometime before all the VIN numbers would get input to provide the details, its not always instantaneous. You will get an official letter from KMA (in the US) or KIA Canada stating your vehicles is under the recall order.
So conwel do you know if the Rondo's will be included? i don;t see it listed in any of the announcements and it uses the same 2.0 GDI

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
So conwel do you know if the Rondo's will be included? i don;t see it listed in any of the announcements and it uses the same 2.0 GDI
I don't know for sure, but I doubt it as the new generation Rondo (from 2014) is the same 2.0L engine that is used in the Soul, which is not involved in this recall. The recall is on a Theta series engine, the Soul/Rondo use the Nu series engine.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And is anyone else's sound like a diesel?
Injectors are really loud on these GDI motors, wonder if that's what you hear? At any rate, that sort of noise isn't likely to be a result of the bearing damage this recall relates to. If yours has a problem I think it's something different.

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
I just saw there was a recall today. I have entered my VIN but it says no recall. I have been on this forum before talking about how my Sportage sounds like a diesel when it runs. My mechanic says that's just what foreign cars sound like. My gut says otherwise. I even have uploaded a video of the knocking. But everyone just says it's the sound of the lifters. The recall notice said the recall would not begin till May 19th. So is that why when I enter my VIN it says no recalls? And is anyone else's sound like a diesel?
if you read the details of the recall it has nothing to do with your Sportage as you have a 2.4L engine its only the 2011-13 Sportage equipped with 2.0L turbo engines produced from December 30, 2010 through August 30, 2013 effecting 8,417 vehicles.

This will explain why nothing is showing up with regards your VIN number.

·
Registered
64 Posts
if you read the details of the recall it has nothing to do with your Sportage as you have a 2.4L engine its only the 2011-13 Sportage equipped with 2.0L turbo engines produced from December 30, 2010 through August 30, 2013 effecting 8,417 vehicles.

This will explain why nothing is showing up with regards your VIN number.
No where have I read it is just the turbo engines. Or even the word turbo.

Hyundai, Kia recall 1.4M vehicles; engines can fail - ABC News

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
No where have I read it is just the turbo engines. Or even the word turbo.

Hyundai, Kia recall 1.4M vehicles; engines can fail - ABC News
they are just general news report with basic info, that's why you have to read the NHTSA Recall no (17V-224) from info submitted by KMA (their recall no SC147) to NHTSA:

https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls?nhtsaId=17V224

scroll down to "3 associated documents" and then download the pdf "defect Notice 573 Report" and it will give you are the specific detail recall info for the Optima, Sorento and Sportage that are involved. For the Sportage it clearly states:

Sportage 2011-2013
equipped with the 2.0L turbo GDI engines produced from Dec 30, 2010 through Aug 30, 2013 (8,417 vehicles)

It's also the 2.0L turbo that is involved with the Optima, the 2.4L only effects the Optima and Sorento.

·
Registered
213 Posts
It sounds like a diesel because the engine has hydraulic lifters. Reliable but noisy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, so 5 days prior to this new massive recall my Kia Sportage 2012 2.4L motor clunked out with the exact same issue announced for the 2.0L.
Unfortunately my warranty expired by 2months and 5000km. That would of made things a lot less stressful, but it's not the case.
After speaking to a 2nd level up at Kia Canada the response I kept getting was "I'm sorry sir, your vehicle is not part of the recall" (very robotic as if reading from a practiced script).
I cannot believe that Kia is trying to say that is not a coincidence . How can this engine, with the EXACT same problem not be part if this recall?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, so 5 days prior to this new massive recall my Kia Sportage 2012 2.4L motor clunked out with the exact same issue announced for the 2.0L.
Unfortunately my warranty expired by 2months and 5000km. That would of made things a lot less stressful, but it's not the case.
After speaking to a 2nd level up at Kia Canada the response I kept getting was "I'm sorry sir, your vehicle is not part of the recall" (very robotic as if reading from a practiced script).
I cannot believe that Kia is trying to say that is not a coincidence . How can this engine, with the EXACT same problem not be part if this recall?
Jeff

·
Registered
4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just got off the phone with Kia Canada who again confirmed that only 2.0L equipped Sportages are affected and that the 2.4's mentioned in the TC recall apply to other Kia models. Not sure how they would know that or even control that from a mfg process perspective but I hope they are correct.
I was also told that if our 2.4 were to be found to be affected at a later date, then we would receive written notice sometime after May 16, 2017.
Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
The cross reference information I have shows the only 2.4L used on the Gen 3 Sportage was the MPI. If that's correct, your engine would not be part of the current recall. Are you sure it's 'the exact same issue' as what the recall is covering? What did the stealership say was the specific issue with your vehicle?

But regardless of what they told you, I recommend you have it towed to an independent shop that does lots of engine work, and see what they have to say.

·
Registered
26 Posts
kiaguy002,
Can you elaborate?

1) Where might one find the cross reference information you have showing the only 2.4L used on the Gen 3 Sportage was the MPI?

2) Where would one determine or confirm the MPI isn't part of this recall?

3) Is there some way an owner can verify their 2.4L is an MPI, ie: labels or stampings on the vehicle somewhere?

Appreciate any further info you can provide.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
kiaguy002,
Can you elaborate?

1) Where might one find the cross reference information you have showing the only 2.4L used on the Gen 3 Sportage was the MPI?

2) Where would one determine or confirm the MPI isn't part of this recall?

3) Is there some way an owner can verify their 2.4L is an MPI, ie: labels or stampings on the vehicle somewhere?

Appreciate any further info you can provide.
The link to nhsta recall notice was posted earlier, it answers both questions 1 & 2
https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls?nhtsaId=17V224

The "Defect Notice" only shows the 2.0 turbo GDI engines are affected for the Sportage.

For number 3 there is probably something in the owners manual that would state if your model is GDI or MPI. I do remember the first few years of the 3rd Generation Sportage came to the US with 2 engine options. The 2.0T-GDI and the 2.4MPI. I don't remember what year the 2.4 switched to GDI.

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
Just got off the phone with Kia Canada who again confirmed that only 2.0L equipped Sportages are affected and that the 2.4's mentioned in the TC recall apply to other Kia models. Not sure how they would know that or even control that from a mfg process perspective but I hope they are correct.
I was also told that if our 2.4 were to be found to be affected at a later date, then we would receive written notice sometime after May 16, 2017.
Fingers crossed!
read post #10 and check out the links provided.

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
For number 3 there is probably something in the owners manual that would state if your model is GDI or MPI. I do remember the first few years of the 3rd Generation Sportage came to the US with 2 engine options. The 2.0T-GDI and the 2.4MPI. I don't remember what year the 2.4 switched to GDI.
2.0L turbo started with the 2011 Sportage, the 2.4L GDI was not till the 2014 model year.

1 - 20 of 206 Posts