Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 EX
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2013 Rio5 EX last night, and the dealer keeps trying to make me buy a KIA Protection Plus Plan for 1.5k. Has anyone else bought one of these?

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,532 Posts
save you money and invest the $1500 and let it earn you money and then if you need it 5-10 years down the road it will give you a much better return.
Extended warranty for any product are generally not worth it and when you do there is so many exclusions you have trouble trying to claim. Consumer Reports have done extended studies on these and found them generally a waste of money. If anything goes wrong it usually happens without the general warranty that is included with the product.

Also they are big money makers for the dealership, probably more profit on that than on your car.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio5 EX ,1999 Ford Expedition, 2005 Pontiac GTO, 2007 Charger RT
32 Posts
Warranty

I had the same thing happen to me on a used 2012 Rio 5 EX.

We were discussing financing options and he wanted to know what my preference was low payment or years of term.

I am like we discussed this already I have perfect credit and it will be for 5 years for 365.00 a month, he goes well I may need to adjust it for the Kia Protection Plus plan. I looked him in the eye and stated TAX, TITLE and TAGS nothing more. Never purchase a extended warranty plan ever, it is not worth it.

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 EX w/ Convenience & ISG
293 Posts
I can see going 1%-3% of purchase price for 100k miles, but this car already has the extended warranty for the drivetrain so its like buying it twice.

I'm not paying 8% for redundant insurance.

Same thing when they hit you at Best Buy. Sorry. I'll self-insure unless its a great deal like 1% of the cost or less. Got a LCD TV and extended the full factory warranty from 1 out to 5 full years for 1%. Knowing about the backlighting issues they have, I popped for it. Even then some would say "You're an idiot, man." over $10.

In all, set the $1500 aside for emergency money and then spend a little on the 'emergency non-drivetrain problem' if it ever pops up. Doubt one will and then YOU will still have the $1500, not the dealer for his concubine's apartment.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts