Kia Forum banner

161 - 180 of 198 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
A dyno is a very useful diagnostic and reference tool.
And any figures can be massaged and manipulated by unscupulous people, you could just as easily do a "flat out" run on your system but not use full throttle then do a proper full throttle run and hey presto, instant gains!
A dyno is indeed a very useful diagnostic tool but its only a good reference tool if the operator is honest. As I said above I know the guy I used years ago massaged the figures to suit the customers wallet and I trusted him to dyno my engine.

My old race engine produced about 175 bhp when it was in its finest fettle. The local guy I used regularly gave me a figure of 115 bhp at the wheels. Most people would have gone away suicidal with that figure but since I was winning and setting records I knew the engine was as good as any out there. At the shoot out I mentioned above it gave 145 bhp at the wheels.

An engine builder I had been acquainted with for probably 15 years (ex. Blydenstein, Hart etc.) offered me some free development work on a 3D mapped ignition, I pay for the parts (£450 ish) and he paid for the development and fabrication of fitting parts and did the mapping on a friends rolling road, ultimately he was adding the developed parts to his products catalogue and making a nice profit on each sale which he did quite successfully (and is probably still doing). Before the work they did a power run and it produced 155 bhp, after the work 156 bhp (both at the wheels). But that was only part of the story, with the 3D map the mid range power and response was noticeably increased (but not measured on an ancient water braked dyno) which significantly improved lap times.

A couple of years later I need the set up checking after some head work but the rolling road where the work was done had gone bust. Found another local guy who had the software for the ECU and on his rolling road the car gave 170 bhp at the wheels, total nonsense.

So the same engine gave between 115 bhp and 170 bhp at the wheels on various sets of rollers and in truth there should have been no more than a couple of bhp difference at peak power.

My conclusion has always been the figures that the operator give you have to be taken with a pinch of salt. The method I use now of the flat out run in 3rd up a 1 in 8 from 30 mph to the red line is recorded by my data logger and its easy to overlay runs onto each other and see if any changes have made improvements. This not only applies to full power it applies right across the rev band. Even in a race car you spend more time below the red line than on it and on twisty UK circuits very little time on full throttle.

Driveability matters far more than a magic figure to boast about in the pub.

·
Registered
RIP :( 2010 Pro_Cee'd - Infra Red 2
863 Posts
I think the term is:
"Calm down dear, it's just a turbo" :D

Really interesting conversation, I can see both points of view completely and oddly enough agree with you both. Dyno's do not tell the whole story, but it's useful to see the power curve to have an idea of rev spread, however speed & times are all that really matter on the road/track/roundabout :D

Given the graphs that sparked this whole other debate, they've managed to knock 2 seconds of Jajceko's 0-100Km time ON THE ROAD, which is pretty damn good for £2000.
Especially as he wasn't really mad on gaining lots of BHP, but wanted a bit more grunt, a good sounding engine/exhaust system and something different to 99.9% of petrol pro_ceed's in the world :)

Jajceko and Maverick have certainly achieved all those things, and for that I congratulate them!

·
Registered
863 Posts
So Jajceko, you've had the turbo fitted about a month now, how is it?
Hope you're loving the extra power & lovely sound of the new setup :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #166
So Jajceko, you've had the turbo fitted about a month now, how is it?
Hope you're loving the extra power & lovely sound of the new setup :)
still great :)
recently i drove a N/A 1.4 100hp car and i couldn't believe how slow and inert that car was.
once you go turbo you won't go back...

we have also experimented with different custom made BOV so now i have a different sound then before...snake sound :)

·
Registered
863 Posts
Oooh custom blow-off valves, me likes that!

I always loved the pro rally spec dump valves on Subaru's, that kinda super high pitched fast short burst always sounds amazing :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #168
anyway...few new things...

like i said, i added new headunit - Clarion NX501E. since i didnt get all connectors with it, i had to order ones for steering wheel connectors, parking camera connectors, additional speaker connectors, 2 din bracket for Kia Ceed.
it took a while to gather everything and to implement it all but it was worth it.
steering wheel controls work, parking camera is activated when you place the car in reverse, navigation works like a charm and so on...

how it was before:

the process:

·
Registered
pro_ceed 1.6 CRDi 66kw (2008)
725 Posts
Nice weather you got there these days ;)

How did you wire the reverse light camera into the central console ?
I suppose you placed the camera in the rear fog light space ?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #171
Nice weather you got there these days ;)

How did you wire the reverse light camera into the central console ?
I suppose you placed the camera in the rear fog light space ?
yea...it was warm yesterday :)

camera is placed in the licence plate light. so half of it is light and half is camera. it is some aftermarket camera that i got from ebay for 20 dollars and so far it works really great. it is connected to reverse light for power so it turns on when i put the shift in reverse and also we connected the reverse light signal (positive) to the radio so the radio switches on the camera when you put the car in reverse.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Did you need to run a video signal wire through the car from the camera to the radio, or it's one of those "wireless" models ?

·
Registered
725 Posts
Thanks, that sounds like a lot of things need to get dismantled in order to run the wires through. But I guess it's easy enough for a person who has experience with those things.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #175
Thanks, that sounds like a lot of things need to get dismantled in order to run the wires through. But I guess it's easy enough for a person who has experience with those things.
haha! :)
you have no idea how right you are. i asked mechanics how long it would take me to take down the rear bumper. they said half an hour.
so i said...what the hell..ill do it myself.

after 4 hours i still didnt take it down, and i had so many different screws that i didnt know which goes where.
luckily...friends who knew what they were doing helped me and it was all done in the next half an hour.
so...what i learned is...dont do it if you dont know what you are doing :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #177
ah...it is early in the morning and i didnt read your post well enough :)
thought you were asking me about mounting the rear camera.

wires from HU to the trunck are easy to place. go along the right side of the car and just place them under the plastic parts. you just need to lift the plastic a bit so you can push the wires beneath it.
i didnt dismantle anything while doing that.

·
Registered
725 Posts
well, I meant both things actually. And I imagined ending up in pain you went through to set it up..

Anyway, the car still looks pretty fresh, regardless of being 2008. Mine lost some of its shine...although rarely I wash it more than once in two months...

Edit: It's interesting to see a yugo in the background.. they are slowly becoming rare here, and I thought they are long gone from everywhere else...

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #179
well, I meant both things actually. And I imagined ending up in pain you went through to set it up..

Anyway, the car still looks pretty fresh, regardless of being 2008. Mine lost some of its shine...although rarely I wash it more than once in two months...

Edit: It's interesting to see a yugo in the background.. they are slowly becoming rare here, and I thought they are long gone from everywhere else...
it looks fresh because of polishing with clay :)

yea...friends use that yugo for rally purposes ;)

161 - 180 of 198 Posts