Kia Forum banner

21 - 40 of 198 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Ceed
281 Posts
Not negative, just realistic.

Manufacturers spend millions of £££'s developing engines with 10's of thousands of miles, if not hundreds of thousands of miles of testing with many breakages until they get it right. Mapping the engine will take 100's of hours alone. To expect a man in a shed to get it right first time is totally unrealistic.

·
Registered
09 Pro-Ceed 1.4 ZR7
346 Posts
Just like any engine work, if its done right you will love it, if its done badly you will have constant problems and it will cost you loads! Fingers crossed yours is a good one. I guess someone has to be first with everything. What sort of figures are you hoping for?

I upped my HP on my bike by 33% and it cost me £2500. Fortunately for me it was done by a reputable guy and 4 years and several thousand miles later its still going well.

·
Registered
RIP :( 2010 Pro_Cee'd - Infra Red 2
863 Posts
Good example AJ.
It sounds like Jack has found a company with good experience of this make & type of engine, if not the exact same lump, and they've spec'd the right kit to go under the hood.

Yes it could all go wrong, but that's life, if it does he'll no doubt locate a spare engine or the parts to sort his old one.

Good luck Jacecko :)

·
Registered
09 Pro-Ceed 1.4 ZR7
346 Posts
It does sound like the company have some experience of turbos so lets hope it works!

The head gasket will be a weak point, thats why i asked if stronger head bolts were on the shopping list so it can be torqued down tighter. With low boost the standard pistons, rods and compression should be fine, its only when you raise the boost that you need less compression but then you run in to turbo lag problems too.

Im looking forward to seeing the numbers on this when its done. Im guessing 150hp?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
You are right SWCeed, aftermarket turbo cannot be as safe as manufacturer turbo. But it is a risk i am going to take it seems. :)

Mapping is done with a piggyback unit. So basicly, it only controls the fifth injector (that is going inside) and the rest of engine/car functions the same way it used to.

They said i should expect a 50% increase in power with 50-70 more Nm. So, around 150-160 hp and around 180-200Nm. Will try to get numbers and post them.

Yes, i will have some weak points with compression, but the guys said that on 0.5bar its nothing to worry about. In future i plan to put forged pistons and that should lower the compression to 8.8:1

Anyway, still waiting on parts...

·
Registered
Kia pro ceed 3 2013
271 Posts
Hello Jajceko
Delighted to hear you are going ahead with your added turbo, despite all the prophets of instant doom. I hope it works out for you and your new motor continues to thrill. Please let us know the outcome.
Johnfranklyn

·
Registered
87 Posts
Personally I do not think that other posters are being "prophets of doom", they are just being realistic.

Look at the facts, the OP is planning to increase his power by 50% and his torque by a similar amount. I don't have the facts available but I would be very surprised if the transmission in a 1.4 would withstand that type of increase. Normally modified cars get driven "enthusiastically", do that in a car with a transmission designed for shopping and a fat wallet will be needed very soon. Manufacturers ECU software is sometimes written to limit torque in the lower gears to avoid overstressing transmissions especially in turbo cars, I would doubt that a small bussiness has the knowledge to do this.

So you spend many £1000's modifying a car a car that will probably break if you use all the power you have paid for, that means you have to drive at a similar pace you did in the car before it was modified.

Personally I cannot see the point especially as mods to other important components will be needed if you are to get insurance at a sensible price.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
That is why i have a transmission standing by if my old one wont be able to handle it. But like i said, the guys (Hyundai authorized service shop) that are doing this have experience with Hyundai and since its the same engine as in Kia i trust them to know what they are doing.

--EDIT
I ment to say i have a clutch standing by, if my old one wont be able to handle it. Since Ceed is the same car 1.4 and 2.0 (apart engine) i dont think it will be a problem. In fact i was told that i should be worried about transmission if i went for 280+ hps
--

I am not an expert and i am not the one that will give guarantee. That is why i am not doing this alone but paying for it.

I dont think you all are wrong, i know the facts. I am aware of the risks, but still doing it.

I do think that we (guys in the shop and me) went over every possible thing regarding installation of turbo and that we covered it all. :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Since Ceed is the same car 1.4 and 2.0 (apart engine) i dont think it will be a problem. In fact i was told that i should be worried about transmission if i went for 280+ hps
I don't have the facts but I would be very surprised if Kia used exactly the same components in a 1.4 and a 2.0 turbo diesel. Ford definitely don't. It was a very brave (or foolish) person that told you the transmission was OK to 280bhp, manufacturers do not over engineer to that degree, it would cost a fortune.

If the chaps who work in these tuning shops could produce a reliable car for peanuts compared to the development costs that manufacturers spend do you not think they would be quickly snapped up and the R & D department sacked, Kia and others would save a fortune and hopefully pass the savings on to us.

Words are cheap, lets hope their garantee is as good as their sales patter.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Like i said in previous post:
"You are right SWCeed, aftermarket turbo cannot be as safe as manufacturer turbo. But it is a risk i am going to take it seems."

And i was talking about 1.4 petrol and 2.0 petrol. Information was given to me by authorized KIA dealers.

And do you think i am paying the guys in peanuts? :)

Anyway, i can understand what you are saying and i partly agree with you (first line).

·
Registered
246 Posts
And i was talking about 1.4 petrol and 2.0 petrol. Information was given to me by authorized KIA dealers.
Kia never sold a 2.0 petrol in the UK acording to all the online pricing guides. The only 2 litre was the short lived and unpopular diesel.

Did they sell one in other markets?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
They dont have it in their offer now, only 1.4 and 1.6 with different engines, and 1.4 that i have is in Rio now but when i was buying my car in 2008 they had 2.0 with 143hp.

found a video...

·
Registered
RIP :( 2010 Pro_Cee'd - Infra Red 2
863 Posts
I'm with Jajceko on this, unless the gearbox is completely different in the 1.4 to all other models (unlikely) it should handle the extra grunt without failure, same for the clutch. Even if both fail he has backup units ready to install.
Suspension, brakes, chassis, etc are the same on 2.0Ltr diesel and 1.4 petrol, so handling shouldn't suffer too much with extra power, and I'm sure the torques won't be much higher than the 2L diesel put out.

As I said earlier, everything could go wrong, but that's life.
Jaj' knows the risks and the positives and is willing to give it a go.
If it fails, swap out & try again, and if it works HAPPY HAPPY FUN FUN JOY JOY !!!

Good luck mate, and keep us informed, some of us are interested in your project and really hoping it works for you :D

=== edit ===
That vid shows 0-100kmph (60mph) in about 10 seconds :D

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
Thank you for thinking positive! :)

Like i said, i really have a lot of trust for this company that will do the tuning. They have a lot of good projects on hyundai cro forum.
Few examples - Hyundai Accent 1.3 - 75 hps stock - made to 140 with stock engine. That was done in 2009. and the car is still running (daily car). Hyundai Accent 1.6 - 105 hps stock - made it to 260 hps with stock engine and with only thighter head gasket but they lowered it to 200 hps for safety.
They have been doing modifications on Hyundai (different models and different engine sizes - turbo/supercharging) since 2007. so they have enough experience.
I will keep you informed, am hoping/estimating that this project will end by end of october.

some of their modification - 1.3 accent and 1.8 accent:

also a nice video of their work...

·
Registered
Kia pro ceed 3 2013
271 Posts
Personally I do not think that other posters are being "prophets of doom", they are just being realistic.

Look at the facts, the OP is planning to increase his power by 50% and his torque by a similar amount. I don't have the facts available but I would be very surprised if the transmission in a 1.4 would withstand that type of increase. Normally modified cars get driven "enthusiastically", do that in a car with a transmission designed for shopping and a fat wallet will be needed very soon. Manufacturers ECU software is sometimes written to limit torque in the lower gears to avoid overstressing transmissions especially in turbo cars, I would doubt that a small bussiness has the knowledge to do this.

So you spend many £1000's modifying a car a car that will probably break if you use all the power you have paid for, that means you have to drive at a similar pace you did in the car before it was modified.

Personally I cannot see the point especially as mods to other important components will be needed if you are to get insurance at a sensible price.

Thanks for the miss quote skidlid. I was just offering some words of encouragement to jajeko with my prophets of INSTANT doom remark. I just felt that the Factor Of Safety I always used back in my designing days must have some slight reference, even today.
I felt jajeko was prepared to have a go and deserved a kinder audience from those who regard themselves “prophets of instant doom”. Let’s be grateful for the design adventurers, they take risks indeed, but progress is often measured in this way. I presume the Wright brothers took risks and were also no doubt informed, “If men were meant to fly God would have given us wings”.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
little refresh...today i drove my car to a shop...parts are here...and its assembly time...
should be ready in 10 days...
ill post some pics and details...

21 - 40 of 198 Posts