Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 198 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

I am a Kia Pro Ceed 2008. 1.4 gasoline/LPG owner. Recently i was thinking of upgrading my car and adding some power.
Since i am unexperienced about tuning i googled some about adding turbo to non turbo cars. In general people say its easier/cheaper to buy a turbo car.
I dont want to do that since i love my Ceed.

My question is if there are people here who have added a turbo to non turbo Ceed, their experience and the costs.

Thank you in advance for your response!

·
Registered
863 Posts
Firstly, have you tried searching for "turbo" inside this ceed forum?

Why not sell your pro_ceed and buy a bigger petrol or diesel version?
My 1.4 petrol only has 89HP and though it goes well for that low power, it is kinda gutless at times. The engine simply isn't built to handle the extra pressures of a turbo, turbo engines generally have lower compression than non-turbo lumps so they can rev higher (simple view). Plus your electrical loom would need some work to make the turbo work & be controllable, and you'd prolly need a custom ECU. Would cost you loads, might give you 20-30% more power but probably blow up within months to be honest.

If your car's clean, tidy & nice, try to find a garage with a 2008 pro_ceed sport and part exchange your car for it.
They're diesel but have about 130HP, that's 50% more than you currently have and a lot more torque!

Sorry to be negative, just letting you know what I think is the case.
I'm no expert by the way, just picked up quite a lot from this place to be honest.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First, thanks for a reply :)
I was thinking of replacing my car, but like i said, i love my Pro Ceed. I do not want a diesel, but want a turbo. What i seen in news, turbo Ceed will come maybe in 2013. Who knows how much it will cost considering the prices of new Kia Ceed.
I have tried to search for turbo, but didnt come up with anything handy. The only thing i found was on some russian/ukraine kia forum and on youtube where some guy put turbo on 1.6 engine.
I know that the boost in hp i might expect is 20-30% depending on the pressure set, but i dont think the engine would blow up if handled properly.
I have a friend who put turbo on a 1.4 honda civic and the resoult was impressive. Just wondered if anyone had any similar experience with placing turbo on Kia Ceed...
thanks again!
(forgot to mention, my ceed has 109hp)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anyway, since low response, i decided to go to some tunning houses and see what is needed and how much it costs. Since my car runs on a combination of LPG/gasoline it will be interested to see what is needed.
Will make a post after i collect some more info...

·
Registered
246 Posts
Reliability on a modified car, especially one where there is no or little experience of the modifications can be very patchy. You will also nullify the remainder of your 7 year warranty (if its still current). Insurance will cost loads more.

And don't forget the obvious, the suspension, tyres, gearbox, clutch and especially brakes are not designed to cope with the power boost the turbo will give you. Going fast is one thing, contolling the car and stopping it are just or more important.

Suggest you sell it and buy a Golf GTi.

·
Registered
739 Posts
If you search Ceed Turbo on youtube you'll see 2 that have suffered turbo conversions. If I'm not mistaken they are 2.0 and a 1.6 engines.

It is possible, and if you use 0.6-0.7bar of boost you won't (probably) have to do anything to the internals and have a ~40% power gains.
I'd say... to do that conversion here in Portugal, it would cost you around 2000-2500€ (turbo, piping, Intercooler, ECU remap,...)

As for the peripherals (tyres, suspension, so on), the stock one's are ok, specially if you already have 17" wheels. The 2.0Petrol and diesel engines are the most powerful, and they use exactly the suspension, brakes, etc as the least powerful version of the Ceed.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your replies :)

Yes, i saw those two Ceed's.
I have made some prelimenary talks with tunning guys, they estimated the costs from 2k-3k euro.
I was thinking of 0.5bar with small turbine since i only want a rapid boost response..

my Ceed has 16" wheels and i maintain it regulary...

anyway...more info coming... :)

also...i do not want to change my Ceed to any car.....and Golf is overrated...

·
Registered
863 Posts
Different approach as you obviously love your car....

Could you find a more powerful ceed petrol engine & ECU that would slot straight into your car, then maybe sell your current engine to regain some of the costs?
A used 1.6 (or more) lump & a re-mapped ECU would probably gain you 20+% (even more if you had the head gas flowed) for similar price.
Am just thinking loudly :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for productive informations :)

Like i said, i have contacted some tunning companies and out of three i found one that made more then 30 modifications on hyundai models.
Have arranged a meeting with them and will see what happens. They said that there shouldnt be any problem putting a turbo with 0.5bar and if i choose to put better gaskets that i could go over 1bar...
The turbine that they suggested is Garrett T25, the rest of the parts i should receieve soon and will post more...
Since i am a little short with cash right now it will probably take some time (few months) to implement everything but i will take some photos and put more info for others who are wondering...

·
Registered
273 Posts
You are heading into a world of grief. A modified car is never as reliable as a standard one. It will cost heaps more to insure since modifiers are usually boy racers and rated accordingly. When you sell it the market is tiny and the price similar, dealers will not want it.

You admit you are strapped for cash, this is the last thing you should be doing.

Save up until you can afford the car you really want and enjoy the Ceed for what it is in the meantime.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well i hope you are wrong :)
i know modified car isnt as reliable as a standard one but a modified car has much more to give...
insurance...well...it will go up a bit...but not much...
selling....well...i looked at some prices of Ceeds my year and in 4 years my car now worths half of what i payed...so...i dont delude myself that i am driving a honda and that my car will worth something when i am going to sell it...with turbo or without...

and i said i didnt have all the money right now and that it will take me few months...well...i managed to collect the money and i am going to tuning shop next week hopefully...

when i get a full list of what is going inside ill post it here...

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A little update. Parts have been ordered - 10 days for that and around 10 days for assembly and testing.
Some of parts are:
- Electronic PerfectPower SMT6
- Turbine Garrett T25
- Intercooler
- Gas pump Walbro 255
- Denso iridium IK 16
- BOV valve
- fifth gas injector
- bunch of pipes, hoses and other stuff

Pictures will be taken with assembly and i will post some here. Plan is to go for 0.5bar. Car also goes on LPG so i will also have to do mapping for that.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have read some about lowering compression for more safety. The problem as the guys from tuning shop explained is that they couldnt find a good gasket for a permanent solution. They all need to be changed every 10-15k km. Also, i tried searching for a compression plate, but couldnt find one.
Only thing that comes to my mind is changing pistons and i dont know if i want to do that just for 0.5bar.
What do you think?

·
Registered
346 Posts
There are several solutions available, you can keep standard pistons and compression but just run a lower boost or if you need a lower compression you have the option of having some metal machined from either the piston crown or from the combustion chamber itself. Of course both of these options are dependant on if theres enough metal spare to remove in the first place!

Is the block cast with the crankcases or is it seperate in this engine? If you can remove the block from the cases then you have the option of fitting a spacer plate under the block to lower compression.

Are you fitting heavy duty head studs? Might be an idea on a blown motor. And then depending on the level of boost and HP/ torque increase you might need stronger rods, clutch and gearbox. And then if you really want to get serious you might want to consider a remap of the ECU or even better a fully programmable ignition.

As they say, speed costs money, how fast do you want to go? ;-)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
dont know if you read previous posts, but my plan is to go on 0.5 bar with serial setup.

i have no idea how kia ceed engine block looks :). i only know that engine head is not really accessible...

clutch is also ready and will be replaced if needed (but i dont think it will be needed) and as far as electronic goes, SMT6 is going inside along with fifth injector.

the guys that are doing this made around 30 turbo conversions with the highest 2.0 hyundai coupe - 1.7bar and 400 hp

i trust them that they will do a good job :)

·
Registered
281 Posts
Best of luck, you will need it. You are entering a world of grief. Have your chosen company ever done a Ceed 1.4 before or are you the guinea pig.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Why so negative? :)
No, i havent found a company that did Ceed 1.4, only found an ukraine man that did 1.6 and 2.0 and i have been talking to him for a while...
I trust this company that i choose to do a good job :)

1 - 20 of 198 Posts
About this Discussion
197 Replies
17 Participants
Fivosevic
Kia Forum
Kia Forums is a community dedicated to all Kia models. Come discuss the Kia Sorento, Rio, Sportage, Soul and more!
Full Forum Listing