Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Pride Wagon (1999), Kia Sephia 1.5 (1999), Kia Sephia 1.8 GS (2000), Kia Carens 2.5 2003
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!

Well today I decided to wash my dad's Kia Pride (1999), and on the car I noticed quite a while ago, little spots, I thought it might be from the tree or any other kind of dirt, but today I noticed therey were actually little spots of rust I guess...? This car may not be driven all the time, but I really don't want it to rust all over since it's the last thing I have from my father after he passed on, so I was wandeing is there any way to prevent the car from totally rusting over? The spots are visible on the whole car not just one part, and with winter comming, this could mean total rusting all over for this little Pride.

In the attachments I have included 3 pictures, perhaps somebody can spot something and tell me it's not rust :).

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,932 Posts
I have seen this on cars that have been transported on trains and it came from the steel wheels throwing extremely small bits of iron onto the surface of the paint. Then moisture caused the iron to rust...
Have you tried to rub out a small area to see if it is on the surface?
What is your environment like? Steel mills?
I live near Cleveland, Ohio, USA and that was a common problem near the steel mills.
Dave

·
Registered
Kia Pride Wagon (1999), Kia Sephia 1.5 (1999), Kia Sephia 1.8 GS (2000), Kia Carens 2.5 2003
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried to clean it with no effect what so ever :/. No factories around or anything, the car is parked in the countryside :/

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,932 Posts
It doesn't look like typical rust in color or size. Can you describe the imperfections?
Are they chips in the paint or discoloration of the paint? Are these areas indented?
It could be a problem in the chemistry of the "water based" paint.. The concept of using water instead of epoxy or lacquer in 1999 was still fairly new.
Have you visited a few body/paint shops at get their views on what's causing your problem? They should have a good idea of where the problem is coming from.
We have here in Ohio/USA pine trees that weep sap that gets onto cars and I have an older car parked in the driveway that has black marks from the sap and the fungus or bacteria that eats the sap.
It might be just ugly marks and the metal undernneath my be "stable" and not rusting.
Only time will tell...Keep us posted..
Dave

1 - 4 of 4 Posts