Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, Im guessing the Pregio isnt sold in the states & that this is a USA forum.. In any case someone might know the answer to this question.

My Pregio's battery went dead & I at first thought it was my alternator as I had just had to have it repaired.
First i tried jump starting it which didn't work. So instead of immediately replacing the battery I grabbed one from the local mechanic (underated to the one needed) & plugged it in to see if i could get the car turning over. I couldn't but the car was doing some funny things like the wipers turned on & wouldnt turn off.
So i pulled the battery out & went & bought a new properly rated battery. When i plugged that in the car started first time.
However the underated battery had blown the main fuse when i plugged it in, as i saw sparks when i connected the leads I assume thats what happened & i also think that's why things went haywire with the wipers..

Anyway i've replaced the main fuse & cannot find any other fuses that are blown but i still cannot get the A/C, central locking, cd, interior lights & clock to work.

I read the manual & realized after, that when replacing the main fuse you are supposed to pull the negative lead off the battery before removing the fuse which i didn't do (however obviously the keys were not in the ignition when i did this removal so at most the 14v of the battery is all that could have gone down the line.. )

Anyway after all that spiel to describe what happened, anyone know any reset button, or what could be the issue now that main fuse is back in, battery is back in & car is driving fine, just cant get those electrics back on...?

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,928 Posts
You said "However the underated battery had blown the main fuse when i plugged it in, as i saw sparks when i connected the leads I assume thats what happened & i also think that's why things went haywire with the wipers.. "
The "I saw sparks" comment is the dead give away..

What it really sounds like is that the "substitution" battery was connected backwards. That WILL blow the main fuse and can damage the BCM (body control module) microcontroller...also known as the ETACS and possibly some other micros as well...
Nasty sparks happen when batteries are wired backwards.

I would be looking for a "donor car" to swap out modules with.

You are correct in saying the Pregio was not sold in the USA....BUT....even though kia-forums IS US based it is a GLOBAL forum and has members from all corners of the globe.

Good Luck with your van...
Dave

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the info Dave, sounds like i might need to let a pro deal with this...
i did find this post on a separate site here in Australia which may be what i have to do..

heres the link to the whole thread:
KIA PREGIO wiring fault

& the specific post which i think answers my problem:
The problem you're having is with the "ETACS" module, which is one of the boxes of sparks bolted to the floorpan below the centre of the dash. It controls every one of the systems you listed.

Part number is 0K7C067720, retail price is around $330.

The problem is caused by that circuitry getting wet from a leak in the left-hand windscreen wiper pivot.

I've replaced two of these modules in two different vans in the last 6 months.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,928 Posts
Sure seems I hit it on the head of the nail "this time"...
See...Global works!
Hope to see you here from time to time...
You coild always program (in basic) some "basic stamps" to run some relays to get some of the critical funtions working...
BASIC Stamp 2 Microcontroller Module
Dave

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'd recommend you to check the connectors on both ignition and fuse box as well as the battery terminals and check the earth from the negative terminal to the body and to the engine so check all that and see how you go.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts