Kia Forum banner

Kia Picanto

9K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  Akat 
#1 ·
Hi all
I have a Kia Picanto and I’m planning on modifying the car to get around 40% power increase so around 100bhp. I have some ideas already but wondering if anyone out there has any interesting ideas or even tried to mod their Picanto. Thanks

#3 ·
hi ...i am on the way for mod my picanto too.just wait to shell my crx vtec .....
i will go for bigger catback exaust,cone filter or cai,reprogram the ecu , and cut the ac belt at winter....i thing is near 10 to12 bhp all this.... 100 hps is too much for picanto ...only turbo or nitro .....

#4 ·
I agree with amid. 100 mph is too much to hope for without extensive mods. Up to 80 should be not to difficult with the usual reletively low cost ones. I like the precise steering of this car which is why is is now my fourth in the garage. I'd just like to be able to pass someone while going uphill.

#6 ·
for performances best way is the scoop lithe the one for the peugeot rallyes but i hear that increase the fuel so much that i must forget is ......i will trye to modyfie my stock box with some cuts and some thermal wrap and block the hole to the big box over engine and then tell you ....the cone filter with ram pipe is syre better than stock box ......i do not know if the ecu is self learning .. also the maps myst be not lean for have good efect with filters ,,,, if i put something on first i will tell you ...

#7 ·
Originally posted by nordicapollo@Oct 29 2004, 08:11 AM
I agree with amid. 100 mph is too much to hope for without extensive mods. Up to 80 should be not to difficult with the usual reletively low cost ones. I like the precise steering of this car which is why is is now my fourth in the garage. I'd just like to be able to pass someone while going uphill.
How are you people driving your Picanto's im already getting 98mph out of my SE 1.1 and i have no trouble over taking on a hill unless the ac is on which makes a big big difference. Has any body got any ideas for a body kit and how they would like it to look if so post some ideas.

#8 ·
98mph? wow! i only managed to get my speed up to 81 because of the road conditions here in the philippines.

the distributor here told us that it can reach up to 105mph.

yes the a/c really eats up a lot of juice. if only philippines is a little colder, i might opt to remove the a/c. :D

#10 ·
My 1.0 GS will cope with 94mph, but I know how to get a lil more! I got rid of the airbox on my old Fiesta and it had the same effect! Obviously not for road use due to dust etc. but I took it onto a track for a couple of laps and it flew!

How restrictive is the standard exhaust system? I cant even see mine but I bet a four brach manifold would help? I'm sure I've seen a 6bhp chip on a website aswell but sadly it wasnt in english so I didnt highlight it anybody seen an english version? I'm used to good old carbs, how does tuning this efi thingy work?

Finally, I've seen these little piggy back resister thingys for sale that bolt onto anycar with efi. They trick the ecu into thinking cold air is being passed in I think? Any good it was only £4.99???

Could you fit a small nitrous system on a Picanto?

#11 ·
Hello all..i have a Kia Picanto...1.1 LX..i've moddified it a little bit ..i got a Pipercross Induction kit for a saxo VTR an shoved it on an covered up the big hole (which used to connect to the old airbox)...chipped the air flow sencor an now the car does 111 max(thats through ma GPS),cut a big hold in the rear bumper an de-catted the exhaust..3" stright through to the back....(need a new manifold though)...im thinkin ov superchippin the ECU an maby boring the head ... the car sounds loud...looks mean an drives quicker..i want to get the engine mods serious now.."i think its funny wen you pull up to another car that has a 2 chavs in it (nova) an wheel spinning it off the line in 1st an 2nd an leavin them for dust" lol...i know its not as fast as my other car (2L mini clubman)...an yes that can easily do 130+ but its scary in a mini wiv out ABS an powersteering...lolol...can u actualy get bodykits for the picanto an shorter throw/short shift gearboxes for them and bigger brake disks an calipers..i could go for a turbo charger but thats just stupid an i cant b arsed..lol any other ideas ov how i can modd my Kia ??

#12 ·
Hi guys... Im new in this car upgrade thingy... Need help though... Wat actually shud I change for my picanto to get better acceleration but less fuel cosumption...??? Does voltage stabilizer help??? Really need u guys to help out... coz my country's oil prices is damn expensive... Do help... thanx...

#14 ·
tricking the air sensor is very bad for the engine. dont be suprised if something goes wrong soon. supershipping is a waste of time if you are planning on doing other tuning modifications as the map wont make use of them, you need a remapable or replacement ecu preferably done on a dyno. the 3" exhaust system will be losing you power. you need some back pressure in the system for 1.0/1.1 engine 1.5" is the biggest you should go for performance tuning. if there are differences in diameter in the system, it should be bigger at the manifold getting gradually smaller towards the tailpipe. as the gasses are cooling and require less volume to travel.
i think a small simple turbo kit would be a great way to tune the picanto. would be nice to take it to 110bhp or so. i havent done any reasearch on transmission used though. is it shared with bigger engined kia? are any part/seriel codes the same? what size is the clutch diameter?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.