Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day guys, i just purchased a 2006 kia Picanto SA with a blown engine, it currently has the epsilon 4GHG 1.1 liter engine but i cannot find a direct replacement. Is there a possibility of using another engine that would bolt on to the existing mounting points? I was thinking maybe an alpha engine but im not sure what is possible. I love this car and would like to see her live on. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
-Kiran.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,969 Posts
Good day guys, i just purchased a 2006 kia Picanto SA with a blown engine, it currently has the epsilon 4GHG 1.1 liter engine but i cannot find a direct replacement. Is there a possibility of using another engine that would bolt on to the existing mounting points? I was thinking maybe an alpha engine but im not sure what is possible. I love this car and would like to see her live on. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
-Kiran.
Using the below link, please add location and vehicle (year & model) to your User Account/Profile

eg.
USA
2019 Sportage 2.7L V6 SX turbo AWD

UPDATE: Vehicle Information

Forum Rules

Tip: after updating your info, hit “like” on this post, and it will serve as a prompt to remove it.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,912 Posts
I think you mean a G4HG engine... Wiki says that it was used in
"This engine has been used in Hyundai's i10 (PA), Atos, Santro Xing cars and Kia Picanto"...

When you say the engine is blown do you mean a rod came through the side or do you mean the timing belt broke?

I have been lucky repairing the Hyundai/KIA 1.6l engine when the timing belt broke for friends and family...
Usually the 4 exhaust valves get bent and the engine won't have any compression...

The damage was not that bad... The head was not damaged and the exhaust valve sleeves had only minor damage... I replaced the bent valves, head gasket, head bolts (can be used only one time as they are torque to yield) and timing belt... I ground the valves to seat properly and reassembled the engine... It started on the first try...

If a rod hasn't broke the block I'd suggest having the engine torn down... Hyundai/KIA engines usually can go 300k miles if properly taken car of..
Dave

1 - 3 of 3 Posts