Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 2004 Kia Picanto with a leaking heater core. I am trying to replace it myself and thus require a link with or without pictures on how to do so. Please advise if there is something like that available...

·
Registered
2005 Kia Rio
8 Posts
First go to an ac shop and have the a/c evacuated, this has to be done. To remove the a/c - heater box. Then you have to remove the entire dash panel, not an hard job but very time consuming. Just take your time the cover comes off first then remove the electrical wiring, then the sub-frame, (I might be mistaken but the wiring might come off with the frame, if you remove the connections to the fuse box). There is a wire that leads under the cover for the shifter handle. You have to take this wire out en tacked as there is no breaks. Take care with the sub frame as it is heavy and will scratch the paint up as there are large pins on each side to center the frame to the body. The frame isn't flexible so have a helper on hand when removing and upon reassembly. Next would be the housing for the a/c matrix and the offending heater core. Carefully remove the box from the firewall, out side the car it is disassembled and reassembled easily.
Or you could bypass the heater core by connecting the tubes leading to the fire wall, using a 8cm long x 180mm piece of copper pipe and two metal clamps. (the dimensions might be suspect as I am an American living in Greece and still learning the metric system)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much for the reply. I was hoping there might be an easier way. I already bypassed the heater core. Its winter in South Africa and the windows wont stop misting. I will just have to take one weekend and get it done.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts