Kia Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for a Optima Platinum and I'm interested/concerned in the fuel efficiency of the vehicle. I have test drove a few, and they have shown on the onboard computer to be between 11L to anywhere up to 19L per 100km. Obviously these are cars that don't get driven high kilometers, but thought people out there who own the optima can give me a more accurate picture.

·
Registered
Kia Rio 2001, Kia Optima Platinum 2012
5 Posts
Have a my12 platinum can usually see the average fuel economy shows around 9-10L/100km. It really depends on how you drive the car like if doing city driving it will be around this but is better on highway driving. The average fuel economy automatically resets after you fill the tank up unless you disable it in the settings this is where you see the economy go up high initially

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks nortonjg. I was starting to think that nobody reads these forums! Anyway, can you also give me your perceptions on the vehicle, and how long you have had it, and general idea if I am going to be buying something decent! i would be moving away from a having owned Nissan's for the last 20 years, so bit nervous going down the Kia path!

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,235 Posts
There's quite a few cars in the medium category (A$30k to A$40k). 2 levels of Optima and various levels of Mazda 6. You might also look at Nissan Maxima 250, if you have an established relationship with the Nissan dealer. Fuel consumption of Maxima is 12 to 8 litres/100km; not bad for a big car. From what I've read, economy of the Optima is about the same; OK, but not outstanding. Mazda 6 is likely to be a bit better.

Some people like the shape of the Optima, but I don't like the look of the alloy wheels. No direct experience with the Optima, but quality and performance on the Cerato is good.

·
Registered
Kia Rio 2001, Kia Optima Platinum 2012
5 Posts
thanks nortonjg. I was starting to think that nobody reads these forums! Anyway, can you also give me your perceptions on the vehicle, and how long you have had it, and general idea if I am going to be buying something decent! i would be moving away from a having owned Nissan's for the last 20 years, so bit nervous going down the Kia path!
I have had my Optima since late October 2012 and has been going great so far. Just last month had the first service which is free 3months/3000kl which ever comes first. I like this car as it is great value for money you get lots of features for the price. I also like how there are not many of them on the road so it is not common like Toyota or Mazda so it does stand out. The car comes with 5 year warranty and road side assistant included in that time. Have had past experience with Kia with our previous car which is a Kia Rio 2001 which is still going all right. There is not much to worry about going down the KIA path but some people still have the old perceptions of them in mind. KIA have really grown in the recent years and I think their cars have improved a lot. I wasn't considering KIA for my next car until i first saw the Optima redesign in 2010. Since had experience in the past with Kia and has been good so I thought it is not a bad idea to stick with them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.