Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experience pitting in the engine as a result of a improper aftermarket oil filter installation? My Amanti (2004) basically died; the oil light was on briefly, so I had it towed to the dealer. The dealer said that I must have driven 200-300 miles with no oil for the engine to be so damaged. Anyone else have a problem like this?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hey Mike ..did you check out the thread right here in this forum addressing that very issue????????" Pitting" in the engine?????what exactly does this mean????? Just out of curiousity what did dealer actually say???Can you give us more info...did the engine seize???dont't get the "pitting" thing....my guess is that the engine seized after 300 miles with no oil ..surprised it went that far........as I stated earlier I will only have the dealer change the oil in my Amanti...that's my choice and is a way to prevent any potenial problems at least if the dealer screws up you have a safety net.....it is too bad your engine is gone......what's it going to cost you to replace it????? Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!! :crying: :crying:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did read the posts about using the correct or manufacturer's oil filters.

The dealer quoted $17,000 to put in a new engine, or $5,500 to repair it but the repairs would void the warranty as any engine damage may not be visibile.

The dealer is saying that it is my fault, since he believes that the red oil light must have been on for at least 200 miles. I am not an idiot, I wouldn't have driven 2 miles, let alone 200 with the red oil light on. I wondered if anyone else has had that experience.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Ray Ray will remember that I had a piston slap, basicly bad engine and I was using oil pretty quick from the time I bought the car but I watched it and was never low. Also I did change the oil myself once and used a purolator pure one filter, same filter I use on the Sedona which by the way has no engine problems and its the same engine.

Anyway I took the car in since it had been using oil and it had a slap when cold, once it warmed up it went away. Anyway they said it could be my filter but it had done it once or twice before the 1st oil change. They changed the oil put a new filter on and it was still there so they put a new short block in under warranty. This just happened over thanksgiving so November.

This is all FYI. Oh I have seen engines run with nearly no oil for a week and still run, lifters just clanking away, 1 car took 2 quarts just to shut up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would want to document the actual cause of the damage. Kia can do an analysis to tell you what the cause was. If it was the oil filter, document the kind of filter and contact the manufacturer. If it was the oil, contact them. If due to low on oil, you probably are out of luck. However, if you can document the filter or oil, you should be able to get them to pay for repair. It is important that you get these properly documented. The cost of repair seems pretty excessive. What part of the country are you in?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts