Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Sorento 2012
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Delete if it’s another thread about this , does anyone know or had a chance to buy oem factory Kia or Hyundai oil , I can’t find anywhere to buy ,

·
Registered
I now drive a 2003 S-10 Had an 03 LX 3.5 Sorento
2,475 Posts
Dealer?? I don't think it is available in stores.

·
Registered
49 Posts
It's Total Quartz oil and probably synthetic blend. Dealer can sell it to you.
(my opinion) ...If you are doing the oil changes yourself, buy a major name brand and full synthetic. In most cases, 5w30 is better for your GDI / TGDI engine than 5w20. If your engine is a 1.6T, your best bet is 5w40 oil.

·
Registered
Kia Sorento 2012
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2012 Kia Sorento has 2.4 gdi engine and I’ve been using valvoline 5w20 full synthetic vet since 3 years , it’s been burning oil ever since ,thought maybe changin brands and use what Kia dealer uses maybe will help amd I use oem Kia oil filter , same with my boys 2009 Hyundai Elantra I use 5w20 full synthetic valvoline and burns litle bit to , jaut looking for some opinions

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 2013 BMW K1600 GTL
11,249 Posts
2012 Kia Sorento has 2.4 gdi engine and I’ve been using valvoline 5w20 full synthetic vet since 3 years , it’s been burning oil ever since ,thought maybe changin brands and use what Kia dealer uses maybe will help amd I use oem Kia oil filter , same with my boys 2009 Hyundai Elantra I use 5w20 full synthetic valvoline and burns litle bit to , jaut looking for some opinions
Would have been good to put all that in your first post.

If you're attempting to reduce the oil consumption, then the suggestion to go with 5W30 is your best bet, but going with the OEM blend won't do anything for you.

·
Registered
Kia Sorento 2012
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I apologize been busy working here and trying to post , so 5w30 for both will be fine and not hurt engines then , what brand u suggest

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 2013 BMW K1600 GTL
11,249 Posts
Any reputable brand full synthetic such as Mobil 1, Valvoline SynPower , Pennzoil, Castrol, ....

Reactions: Lou O.

·
Registered
Kia Sorento 2012
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And 5w30 will be fine with both cars , and thank a lot for help appreciated

·
Super Moderator
11,249 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Sorento 2012
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes for both Kia and Hyundai , since they both consume oil

·
Registered
Sportage LX AWD 2014, Forte LX+ 2014
678 Posts
We don't know what your oil change interval is.
Burning oil is usually associated with stuck piston rings on lower mileage engines. If that's the case - reduce intervals to 4K miles with Pennzoil Platinum in 5w-30 and run those reduced intervals for 2-3 oil changes while observing whether there is an improvement with oil burning.
You can also try oils meant for both - diesel and gas engines in attempt to clean and free up piston rings.

·
Registered
Kia Sorento 2012
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I purchased pennzoil high mileage full synthetic for Kia Sorento and Hyundai Elantra , , Hyundai has 141 k and Kia has 120 k , I thought would be better since it’s for high mile cars and it’s also full synthetic, or should I just returned and get just full synthetic what u guys think ?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I purchased pennzoil high mileage full synthetic for Kia Sorento and Hyundai Elantra , , Hyundai has 141 k and Kia has 120 k , I thought would be better since it’s for high mile cars and it’s also full synthetic, or should I just returned and get just full synthetic what u guys think ?
It's a better choice than the Kia Quartz synblend sold at the dealer.
You already purchased the Pennzoil. So try it and report back on how you like it next year.

·
Registered
Kia Sorento 2012
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's a better choice than the Kia Quartz synblend sold at the dealer.
You already purchased the Pennzoil. So try it and report back on how you like it next year.
I will report , but which one is better high mileage full synthetic or platinum full synthetic, I can return , if it’s better platinum full synthetic,Walmart is 5 min drive

·
Super Moderator
11,249 Posts
I will report , but which one is better high mileage full synthetic or platinum full synthetic, I can return , if it’s better platinum full synthetic,Walmart is 5 min drive
Don't understand the question.

·
Registered
Silver 2012 Kia Sorento FWD Base with 2.4L
130 Posts
If you're asking what's better between platinum full synthetic and platinum high mileage, you'd be better off with high mileage with an engine over at least 75K miles. I started with Mobile 1 and it did not do what I hoped. High mileage all the way. Did the job for the 5K miles. Can go more but I change every 5K. Right now, I'm at 151K miles. According to Pennzoil

Platinum full synthetic is:

Made with 100% synthetic molecules which helps provide complete protection for top engine performance:
  • Cleaner pistons
  • Better fuel economy
  • Protects horsepower
  • Unsurpassed wear protection
  • Excellent performance in extreme temperatures
    Extends engine life
    Formulated to prevent LSPI (Low Speed Preignition
Platinum high mileage is:
  • Made with 100% synthetic molecules which helps provide complete protection for top engine performance:
    • Cleaner pistons
    • Better fuel economy
    • Protects horsepower
    • Unsurpassed wear protection
    • Excellent performance in extreme temperatures
  • Helps stop leaks and proven to reduce less oil burn off for older engines

·
Registered
Kia Sorento 2012
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Okay thanks a lot for help and reply , I’ll use high mileage full synthetic, and see improvements next oils change

Reactions: Lou O.

·
Registered
2016 Kia sorento
7 Posts
If your using more oil than you think you should. Read this forum. Kia seems to have issues with oil consumption. At 65k miles mine is now showing the same issues described in the below discussion

2016 Kia Sorento 2.4

·
Registered
49 Posts
If your using more oil than you think you should. Read this forum. Kia seems to have issues with oil consumption. At 65k miles mine is now showing the same issues described in the below discussion

2016 Kia Sorento 2.4

omg
Just about everyone that replied on that forum at carguru.com does 7.5k OCIs and many let their dipstick run two quarts low before refilling.
Change your oil at 3.75k and never let the dipstick get more than a half-quart low. Always use synthetic 5w30 Dexos 1 Gen 2 oil and not 5w20 conventional or synblend oils.

I'm not saying what I suggest is a cure. But proper oil maintenance will surely lengthen the time before the consumption starts getting out-of-hand.

·
Registered
2016 Kia sorento
7 Posts
omg
Just about everyone that replied on that forum at carguru.com does 7.5k OCIs and many let their dipstick run two quarts low before refilling.
Change your oil at 3.75k and never let the dipstick get more than a half-quart low. Always use synthetic 5w30 Dexos 1 Gen 2 oil and not 5w20 conventional or synblend oils.

I'm not saying what I suggest is a cure. But proper oil maintenance will surely lengthen the time before the consumption starts getting out-of-hand.
Some do some don’t, I’ve check mine a lot, never needed to add oil between changes. Then around 50k it would be 1/2 qt low when it was time to change oil. Kia manual states Synthetic oil usually should be changed at 7,500 . Kia recommends getting your 2016 Kia Sorento oil & filter changed at 3,000-5,000 miles for conventional oil. Which seems excessive to me so I go 5k on synthetic. But never really needed to add oil. It just seems one day I checked it and it was unusual low so I added a quart. And it seems to be ever since it using oil more and more. Sticking my finger in the exhaust pipe and seeing oil on my finger confirms I have a bigger issue.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts