Kia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2005 ford focus ses
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how come the stupid kia literature and websites and resellers... NO ONE
lists the size and class of this thing.??

I am guessing class 2.
I am guessing receiver size 1.25" ?

sheesh:confused::rolleyes:

·
Registered
2005 ford focus ses
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And also,, anyone know who makes the eom hitches for Kia?

·
Registered
2011 Sportage SX T-GDI
70 Posts
how come the stupid kia literature and websites and resellers... NO ONE
lists the size and class of this thing.??

I am guessing class 2.
I am guessing receiver size 1.25" ?

sheesh:confused::rolleyes:
Assuming it's the same as the one I had put on my 2011, yes.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Curt is the company I used for a hitch. I will warn you it WILL make noise as it bumps your exhaust unless you do something about it. Its not a simple bolt in w/o having this small issue. There is a good thread on this issue if you do a search. I have IMHO a better fix, at least it worked for me first time and no noise since. The hitch bolts up using threaded inserts on the bottom of the frame rails. There are also threaded inserts on the side of the frame rails which arent used. I bought a universal hanger and clamped one end to the drivers side exhaust as it comes out of the muffler. The other end was simply bolted to the threaded insert not being used this pulls the entire exhaust system just enough to eliminate the noise while still giving it the ability to move if it needs to.

·
Registered
2011 KIA Sportage SX
3 Posts
I also have a curt hitch on my 2011 SX. The main problem is that with the dual exhaust they had to make the hitch extremely close to it and every time you gas it or brake, the muffler taps the hitch. What I did to eliminate the contact was that I got exhaust hangers and attached one end to the exhaust pipe leading to the muffler and the other end to the frame of the body. underneath the car looks a little messy but looking at the back the exhaust tips looks great and the hitch no longer makes contact to muffler.

Attachments

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sportage SX AWD
25 Posts
pics?

anyone have actual pics of their hitch installed, what brand, where they bought it?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sportage SX w/ Premium Package & Nav
194 Posts
I have a 2011 SX and they didn't, at time of delivery, have a SX only version. So, my SX has the LX/EX hitch and wire harness installed. I also had to mod my exhaust as someone posted above. But, I used some wire to "pull the driver side exhaust up and back" a bit so it wouldnt "thump" around when driving. I'll post pics sometime this week so you can see. Basically the same premise as using an exhaust hanger. Just made my own ;-)

Other threads cover this easy mod if you have a SX w/ an ex/lx hitch installed.

Again, there is now an oem SX only hitch which doesn't require mods to stop it from banging into the muffler/exhaust tip.

LX/EX Hitch: https://www.oemkiaparts.com/product...=1192&osCsid=7feee4837bbb65505e1dbe61a385bbda

SX only hitch: https://www.oemkiaparts.com/product...=1241&osCsid=7feee4837bbb65505e1dbe61a385bbda

·
Registered
194 Posts
how did you detach the exhaust? I'm getting my curt hitch tomorrow some time
No need to. The suggestions and mods people have posted in other threads almost always leave the exhaust system intact just like from the factory. The mod simply "pulls up and back a bit" the drivers side (North America) exhaust tip/pipe so it doesn't swing into the hitch when accelerating or stopping quickly.

I forgot to snap a pic of what I did (sorry!) and it's now too dark to grab one now. I'll do that tomorrow and post here...

Again, my mod is very similar to the "universal exhaust hanger" idea others here have done. I just used some plyable wire I had kicking around to ever so slightly pull that side of the exhaust system up a bit. This stops it from clanking around when driving/turning sharply etc.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Oh sorry, if you meant detach so you can put on the hitch? If so, easy. There are rubber hanger like things which allow the exhaust to flex/swing a bit. You simply un-do those and gently bring down the system just enough so you can install the hitch onto the frame. I propped the muffler and pipes of course so not to break anything by stressing metal and welds or whatever. Once hitch is in place simply re-attach the system to the hanger(s). Done deal...

There are much better instructions here in other threads. But, that's basically what I remember doing.

Further, I have an OEM Kia hitch for my SX so it was really very straight forward. I did however have someone else do the wiring harness for me. Not great with wiring and didn't trust myself to do that part.

I'll make sure to grab a pic or 2 of my EX/LX hitch mod which stops the SX's exhaust from clunking into the hitch when turning sharply or starting/stopping quickly. Since doing that I have not heard a sound back there.

But, if you go the universal hanger route others have posted (mod w/ pics in another thread here) that's a great idea. They all say it instantly stops that noise from occurring.

My hack/mod was born after taking a test drive and hearing it clunk around when driving. I knew what was happening and "wired mine up to the frame" using spare wire I had laying around. If I had to guess, I'd say it pulls up the exhaust like a quarter of an inch. It's just enough to stop the contact...

·
Registered
6 Posts
bought the curt hitch myself. to tow my jetski for my 2013 sx. it hit the muffler. so easy fix was throwing it up on the lift heating the hangers and pulling the tips down. problem solved lol. and it doesnt look much lower if at all. works great. just an idea for u guys if u got a torch just heat up the hangers and pull on it down than when the hangers cool they wont move ever. easy fix. ill take a pic for u guys and post it if u want. what i would like to do is get the wire harness now. i think oem would be cleanest install. any ideas where to find it cheap
jay

·
Registered
36 Posts
I think I saw something on Etrailer.com not sure tho. I noticed they were using a powered style 3 to 2 converter. it has tutorials written and video. I got my Curt "SX" hitch there and YES even the special SX one hits. I may try to tweak it with the torch. One thing i hate about my MOD and almost all of these Mods is they require you to move the system for more clearance. For me the most clearance ended up making the pies offset from the cutouts in the body. Also, as the rubber aged it gave even just a bit and on this one road by my house it still hits sometimes.

·
Registered
2013 Sportage SX AWD
22 Posts
I just installed Curt's model 13120 on my '13 SX. Not sure if that's the same model number people have had issues with or if Curt fixed it or I just got lucky but I've been flogging it trying to get it to bang/bump with no noise so far.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts