Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
04 kia rio, 03 silverado ss
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys and gals! im hoping this forum will be as helpful as some of the other enthusiast forums im on, and im hoping i can help a few people out as well! i bought an 04 kia rio from a friend for a daily driver fuel saver, my truck averages 11 mpg... no bueno in chicago. i bought the car knowing it has a few issues, several are already in the works to be repaired, others, i'd love some insight on. heres the rundown on the known issues i want to correct. i am a mechanic (albeit on other equipment) so im doing most/all of this myself, just looking to ask some experienced enthusiasts if anyone knows some better places to start looking! (listed in order of annoyance)

1- left turn signal doesnt work properly. the indicator on the dash is generally dimly lit at all times, as well as the left turn signal bulbs. sometimes after hitting a bump it will work fine. the car appears to have had a mild front end collision at some time, but im wondering if there is a common failure for this.

2- both front interior door handles are broken. previous owner installed pink zipties as a temporary fix. i just need to get to the junkyard for parts.

3- transmission. first gear is finnicky, it is tricky to engage from a dead stop (worse when its cold), there is sort of a 'click' halfway between neutral and first, and if youre not paying attention it will grind the gears pretty bad when you let the clutch out. also, reverse has to be held back to work. the trans sounds horrible in reverse, sounds horrible in first gear, but works fine other than that.

other than needing a new front fender, front bumper cover, left headlight (previous non-matching panels installed) and the above mentioned issues, shes a solid car. needs tires and a lot of tlc.

hope to hear back!! thanks!

·
Registered
2002 Kia Rio, 2011 Kia Sorento 2005 f 250 1996 geo metro 1992 f 150
1,023 Posts
welcome MPG, First things first http://www.kiatechinfo.com/ for free service info in usa just have to register and use the site's requirements. If you didn't know that allready. Check out kia schematics probably a connection issue for the turn signal problems as you have front end damage use kia tech schematics to help. It also list's the door repair procedures i went thru that way back and dont remember what it was but i do remember you got to remove the door inside cover to fix. Sorry i cant help with the tranny but search the post's here to help I'm sure you will find an answer here somewhere with it. How many miles on it? the most important thing is the timming belt get it replaced as the owners manual say's it's that important. If it breaks your kia will be a big paper weight with lot's of money to repair read the horror stories here. Good luck with it. Reguard's Ronjohn

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 Sportage EX
4,524 Posts
Your inner door handles are super cheap $17.00 from any Kia dealership. As far as your trans goes, I would be looking at the bushings that mount your shift cable to the trans and the shifter, if they are worn out, this might be causing your problem.

·
Registered
04 kia rio, 03 silverado ss
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so i take it the kia has an interference engine?

also, i forgot to mention the wheel bearings are junk lol.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Gearbox

Seems there's some serious damage inside.; 1st gear and Reverse problem may be related. Short of a big repair, I'd be inclided to go gentle on it, possibly relying on 2nd gear instead of 1st if possible.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts