Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

I'm really happy with my 05/2005 Picanto LX. Great fun in and around Frankfurt and considerably suitable for average speeds on German highways. I'm still quite amazed at the performance of that little engine. :grin:

However, I have some problems with the built in KIA Mp3/CD Radio. After about 10-30 mins of playing the disc stops with a screech and the display shows "error 1". According to the radio's manual this means "too hot". I took the car back to the dealer to have the radio changed on warranty. Now it plays 20-50 mins before it say "error 1" depending on the temperature in the car. :(

Has anyone ever had this problem or know of a way to fix it? Taking it back to the dealer won't really help, right?

The fact that the radio can even display an error message is absurd and reminds me of my Denon HiFi system where the CD player could display "reading disc". Its the only CD player I ever had that could take up to a minute to find the beginning of a song. :mellow:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello Murphwiz!

Yes I am using CDRs, at least sometimes. But I believe that's not the problem. I tried regular non-mp3 CDs that showed the same error message. But something else was a little strange:

When I went to my dealer to have the radio replaced, they told me that the Picanto doesn't come with a KIA radio in the first place. So I had to drag them out to show them. They seemed surprised, but consented replace it with the exact same thing. Perhaps there's a reason for KIA not selling this radio with this car.

Do Picantos normally come with original KIA radios or don't they? :blink:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
News: The replacement KIA radio died on me just the other day on an eight hour drive to Germany's eastern coast. That makes it radio number two - in just three months. :angry:

After four hours of continuous playing it started smelling funny and produced a really nasty sound via the speakers. Now every base line sounds as if someone is walking on aluminum foil. I guess the amp crapped out.

I'll be back at the dealer's first thing Monday morning.

Otherwise the Picanto handles great. It travels at 150km/h easily over great distances. Packed as it was, 170km/h was max. I found fuel economy and engine performance to improve considerably with higher octane fuels, especially at higher and more regular speeds.

·
Registered
2005 Kia Picanto
12 Posts
Last tueasday I went to my KIA dealer to install CD/MP3 player. They only have Pioneer's which is great, because everyone told me that Pioneer would be one of the best choice when choosing an MP3 player for a car. So far, I don't have any complaints.

@Inorut
Whitch MP3 player do you have?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Limhouse,

Using Super unleaded fuels around 98 octane I now make:

5,4 liters / 100 km on long distance drives averaging 120 km/h (Range 90 - 170 km/h depending on traffic)

6,5 liters / 100 km in city traffic averaging 30 km/h (Range 0 - 110 km/h depending on traffic)

Fuel consumption with regular unleaded fuels is a little higher for greater speeds.

That will probably still change a little with time. The car is still very new and I have too many gas bills on which I simply forgot to take note of the kilometers. :rolleyes:

PS.: In Germany fuel consumption is measured in liters per 100 km. Since I am not familiar with other measurements you will have to do the conversion yourself.

Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quick note:

my dealer finally replaced the faulty KIA radio line with an mp3 radio from Clarion. "Thank god that is settled" I thought, knowing Clarion to be a competent manufacturer of car audio products.

On my way home from the dealer, however, I noticed that both rear speakers simply produced crackling sounds where the base lines should have been. I went straight back to the dealer. :-(

Reluctant diagnosis: both rear speakers blown out by malfunctioning amplifier. And I'm not even convinced that this is the actual problem. Anyways, they ordered replacement speakers. I'll have to wait for a few days to report the result. The Picanto speakers are real ****, my dealer admitted.

"Not only the speakers", I was thinking. Will it ever work...?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts