Kia Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya,

I have a '97 Kia Mentor GLX and have recently noticed periodic hesitation when I first ignite the engine. It doesn't happen every time and only appears to happen first time I use the car in the day. Sometimes it makes a rapid ticking noise for 30 seconds which then stops. Then when I try to accelerate the car hesitates. I usually can't get above 15 mph even with my foot to the floor. Then, after about a minute, the engine catches and off I go at normal speed.

I've had all sorts of suggestions from the fuel pump, clutch slipping, the exhaust (which was replaced 4 months ago) to the oxygen sensor. Ideally I'd like at least half a clue so when I take it to a garage they can't rip me off as much as they'd like!

Any ideas/reasons would be gratefully appreciated!

Many Thanks,

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello from Aussie land
Don't go to the garage at first, telling them these problems will get your car taken from you for a day or two with a small loan to pay off.
Please post again with information of the last service of this car, it could be as simple as an oil change and a set of spark plugs!
The ticking noise is the oil is cold (thick) or old and dark or low (please check colour) this causes the oil not to reach the overhead cam in the top of the motor since most of the oil sits in the sump at the bottom of the motor. Yes it is causing more wear than normal on your camshaft though minimal. And an oil/filter change with a decent oil and possibly an additive for the oil to condition it thinner for your winter. All this after a oil flush/drain.Make sure you use the recommended oil 15-40 type oil its more expensive but will stop the ticking. Someone may have put cheap 20-50 used for older cars which would cause more wear at startup such as your ticking.

The accereratiion problem could be simple, a change of good plugs I use NGK for my kia, if this dosen't work do the simple and cheaper things first. Fuel filter replace, air filter clean, additive to fuel to clean injectors etc.

My 98 kia had the same acceleration problem but is auto, and it was the auto trans fluid had failed. I carefully serviced the tranny and got rid of most of the black fluid. Now it accelerated like new when warm.

A '97 mentor is cheap to run and fix.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts