Registered
2012 Sorento SX FWD
47 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX AWD V6 Limited/Panoramic
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have gotten it yet. Not sure on the original poster. I'm at V3 right now. Usually the map updates have had head unit OS and Bluetooth updates in them as well. So we'll see.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sorento EX V6 Luxury
89 Posts
If you have a smart phone with a data plan you'll never have to worry about maps being out of date.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX AWD V6 Limited/Panoramic
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got the map update yesterday. Took a few hours to get it updated. You need the serial number(last 5 digits) from the USB package, the device ID from your NAV, and your VIN, in order to get an authorization code from the mapnsoft website.

Map version is 5.x now. Also software version v529.

Differences I noticed from v3.

Bluetooth contact list now has firstname lastname, rather than lastname, firstname. This is with a Verizon blackberry curve 8530.

Maps are updated, but still about a year old. POIs are really old, like 5 years or more old.

The are some new interface options on the maps. You can enable/disable the menus on the left side. There is also a quick menu that you can setup on the left with a yellow star.
Also, when you start up, the map defaults to showing the last 5 destinations list, and some other favorites. This goes away after a few seconds.

Some of the text/fonts seem diffenent, the color on the map is different.

You still have to say Call Name, then say the name. You can't just say call John smith.

I performed the voice adaptation in the help menu. It had different phrases to say. Not sure if this helps with anything, but its fun.

·
Registered
2K13 Forte SX Lux yada yada yada...
151 Posts
@MogulMan;

Thanks for the info! I called MapNsoft to enquire on the update as my 2013Sx came with old software and they told me that the update is only good for 2012 and lower. So I asked how is it that the exact same navi unit would not accept a new firmware update? They told me it was a "keyed" update for that specific model and year. I then explain there was no changes to the navi head unit in the '13's. I suspect the files are done this way purely for anti-piracy purposes. Looks like the Mapnsoft people are out of sync with Kia cuz the 13 navi is the same across the board!

·
Registered
265 Posts
O.K., my 2011 Sorento will get an update... Yea, $99 (plus $20 for the USB and shipping) is not a bad deal. I wouldn't even think of going for $200. I wonder if it would work with my wife's 2012 Hyundai ? At least the USB and shipping should be removed and just pay for the upgrade.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sorento SX, 2003 Honda S2000
183 Posts
Maps are updated, but still about a year old. POIs are really old, like 5 years or more old.

The are some new interface options on the maps. You can enable/disable the menus on the left side. There is also a quick menu that you can setup on the left with a yellow star.
Also, when you start up, the map defaults to showing the last 5 destinations list, and some other favorites. This goes away after a few seconds.

Any chance you can post some pictures of the new layout? Thanks :)

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
Got the map update yesterday. Took a few hours to get it updated. You need the serial number(last 5 digits) from the USB package, the device ID from your NAV, and your VIN, in order to get an authorization code from the mapnsoft website.

Map version is 5.x now. Also software version v529.

Differences I noticed from v3.

Bluetooth contact list now has firstname lastname, rather than lastname, firstname. This is with a Verizon blackberry curve 8530.

You still have to say Call Name, then say the name. You can't just say call John smith.

I performed the voice adaptation in the help menu. It had different phrases to say. Not sure if this helps with anything, but its fun.
This is one of the reasons I would NEVER pay for a nav system in a car. I've been using the Google Maps Nav system from my smartphone for years and it's continuously updated (for free) and integrates well with any bluetooth capable head unit. I never even need to take it out of my bag/pocket and can also use it to stream music (either from the Internet or from the 32GB flash card inside the phone).

Best,

·
Registered
2013 Silver Sorento EX V6AWD, 2007 Toyota Highlander V6LtdAWD, 2004 Toyota 4-Runner V6Ltd2x4
80 Posts
Our sympathy for all the affected folks in NY and NJ...

Agreed, our thoughts are with the folks in NY and NJ...

Hey Sauron,
Hope all is getting better in NJ. Folks up here are thinking about you all!!

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
Thanks for the concern. All is back to normal around these parts with small pockets of towns still without power. Lots of new poles going up all over the place and seeing crews from all over the US driving around doing repairs. People on the waterfront got hammered pretty hard though. It's going to be years before that is fixed up. sigh...

Best,

·
Registered
265 Posts
Just got the box. The instructions only say 2009 and 2010 Sorento. They can't even update their instructions. Have to wait until the weekend. I take shots of the screen, if any difference.

·
Registered
2012 Sorento EX V6
40 Posts
This is one of the reasons I would NEVER pay for a nav system in a car. I've been using the Google Maps Nav system from my smartphone for years and it's continuously updated (for free) and integrates well with any bluetooth capable head unit. I never even need to take it out of my bag/pocket and can also use it to stream music (either from the Internet or from the 32GB flash card inside the phone).

Best,
How do you use google nav without taking it out of your bag?

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
How do you use google nav without taking it out of your bag?
Play bluetooth audio. I listen to music streamed from the phone and the nav system periodically chimes in with route information when I need to make a turn. No need to even see the screen. It works perfectly for me and google maps tend to be very accurate and up-to-date.

Best,

1 - 20 of 75 Posts