Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we have a 2010 Kia forte. when you put your foot on the gas and excelrate slowly, the car seems to change gears earlier than it should. by the time you reach 40km/h it is already in fourth gear. at that time it feel like you are driving a standard and you are going 40 and you have the car in 5th. i have also noticed that it is consuming a lot of fuel. i have had it in several times into the dealership and they have tried re programing the computer, but tell me it is ok. can someone help me with this.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
We have a 2010 Kia Forte. when you put your foot on the gas and accelerate slowly, the car seems to change gears earlier than it should; by the time you reach 40km/h it is already in fourth gear. I have also noticed that it is consuming a lot of fuel.
Seems to me that 40 km/h in 4th is about right if you are just creeping along. What does the tachometer say? Our Cerato 6-speed auto runs in 6th gear much of the time aound town (60-80 km/h), and the tacho is usually about 1500 RPM.

There's no percentage in accelerating ultra-slowly. Give the engine a bit of stick and it will perform well. What is the economy like on the highway? Should be about 36 MPG (US), and that is the only real test. Too many variables around town, but expect 24 MPG as a guide.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kia Forte 2010 Automti Transmission

I just filled the car with fuel and reset the trip. i will reply back in a few days on that. When i drive slow, and it is in 4th gear, the rpms drop down to 1000. as mentioned before, it feels like you are driving a standard transmission and you are going 30kmh and put the car in 5th. RPMS drop way down and car is sluggish. to give you another example, we live on a cres, tha is shaped like a horse shoe. so i'm driving 55kmh, come to the bend brake and take my foot off the gas, when i try to accelerate, the car is sluggish. feeling like the car never changed to a lower gear when I slowed down. My other daughter has a Hyundai elantra. very similar car, this does not happen with her car. i will report back with fuel consumption. is it possible that the computer is pouched?

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Does sound like something is wrong. I am assuming your Forte is similar to ours, and unless you are watching the tachometer, you would hardly notice the gear changes around town, and it certainly never feels as though it's struggling. Only time you notice the gearbox is when accelerating hard on the highway (passing etc.).

You will see the engine go down to 1000 RPM, but this should only be when you release the accelerator.

The transmission is controlled by a computer, and a reset might improve matters, or a replacement if faulty.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kia Forte 2010 Automati transmission

the dealer has tried reprogramming the computer several times and tell me i have the most up to date program.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just bought a Kia Forte Koup EX used. It is doing something a little similar. I drive through two horseshoe-type curves on my commute and both times it feels like it really struggles to pick back up again until I hit 40+ mph and then it is smooth sailing. The highway seems fine, no issues there. I would say its the shift from 1-4 where it gets "hung up" or something weird like that? (Sorry - I don't know enough about gears/rpm/etc to discuss it properly)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts