Kia Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2014 Sorento LX 2.4L GDI AWD
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all. I just recently read about the class action/engine recall for the 2.0/2.4 engines and had a few questions for the group. I have a 2014 Sorento with 43k miles and while I haven't seen any indication of trouble yet I wanted to know what the failure mode is. I did notice the engine was down a quart after the last oil change after 6k miles. That seems a little high for a 43k motor, but is that the telltale for future problems? Is there any warning before these engines lock up after eating the bearings? I did have the knock sensor update done a while back.

· Registered
2016 Sorento LX AWD 2.4L
395 Posts
Maybe not necessarily a tell-tale since other things can contribute but what I would do is:

1. Severe service (in manual) oil changes every 3-4k miles, watch oil level more often than the usual car.
2. PCV valve change - $15 and may improve oil loss (at least it seemed to help for me) - and also watch for leaks - I thought I was burning oil again recently but my drain plug was just leaking.
3. Failure mode varies widely, I've read of people get knocking and still be able to drive, sudden loss of power, limp-home mode, flashing CEL, I don't think we can really predict it.

· Registered
405 Posts
Is your 2014 2.4 engine TGDI? or GDI?
I thought the engines affected by the recall were the TGDI turbo 2.4 engines.

· Registered
2015 Sorento SX 3.3L V6 FWD
733 Posts
I did have the knock sensor update done a while back.
With that update your engine warranty s/b extended, so you are covered if it goes all out. The update adjusted the knock sensor to also monitor for bearing knock. The upate throws a DTC code and puts the engine into safe mode (2000 RPM max) if it predicts things are not OK. Just make sure you keep maintenance (and oil level) up so they can't blame you in case of failure. And get it to a dealer ASAP before it totally craters if the engine ever goes into safe mode.
As far as oil consumption, reading some threads it seems it has to be worse than 1 qt per 6K miles to warrant a dealer doing a consumption test. If it gets worse see what they say and if they voice any concerns.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts