Hello Guys
I just bought my USA optima 2013 SXL Turbo

And i exported to my middle East county OMAN

after buying the car i heard about this Recall
And really i got mad ,

My car till now work fine , nothing show

But am worry about the future

My car miles now 44,120

And in my country my local dealer will not receive my car for inspection as the warranty is in usa only as i know , also our kia engine's here is MPI not GDI

about the recall problem

METAL DEBRIS MAY HAVE BEEN GENERATED FROM FACTORY MACHINING OPERATIONS OF THE ENGINE CRANKSHAFT AND MAY NOT HAVE BEEN COMPLETELY REMOVED FROM THE CRANKSHAFT'S OIL PASSAGES DURING THE CLEANING PROCESS. IT WAS ALSO DETERMINED THAT THE ADDITIONAL MACHINING PROCESSES OF THE CRANKPINS MAY HAVE CAUSED UNEVEN SURFACE ROUGHNESS. THESE COMBINED CONDITIONS CAN RESTRICT OIL FLOW TO THE BEARINGS INCREASING THE POTENTIAL FOR PREMATURE BEARING WEAR. A WORN CONNECTING ROD BEARING WILL PRODUCE A CYCLIC KNOCKING NOISE FROM THE ENGINE AND MAY ALSO RESULT IN THE ILLUMINATION OF THE VEHICLE'S ENGINE WARNING LAMP AND/OR OIL PRESSURE LAMP IN THE INSTRUMENT PANEL.

As i understand not all cars effected
But all cars called for inspection

And as it going to be big problem for me ,

I thought about engine flushing oil !

Do you think this can help engine to be clear and all the metal debris can go out by draining

I think about this as there's no other way for me

And if anyone had engine failure on his car

Do you know whats the effected parts in the engine?

So i can replace from now avoiding the failure happen

Plz help me on this really am lost

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima EX
4 Posts
2013 KIA Optima engine recall service

We took our 2013 Kia Optima EX Luxury 2.4 GDI in for the service recall this past weekend.
This is the latest phase for the engine recall SC147

This is the diagnostic tests performed:
They drain the engine oil and inspect it for metal shavings
They install new oil
They insert a tool which is a dipstick with a microphone
They run the engine at various RPM and with the listening dipstick checking for unusual sounds
If no noise is recorded they pass the vehicle.

The problem is this test means NOTHING!! According to my service writer the test was performed on the same car and the engine seized 1 week after the test!

You search this recall info with the service recall code SC147

Really Kia!! I have lost all trust in your vehicles!! :(

·
Registered
2018 Optima EX
15 Posts
I mean, I've seen all kinds of BS happen to pretty much every manufacturer, including Toyota.

Humans are imperfect, and anything we manufacture is going to be imperfect, especially if you don't want your car to cost $100,000. Even though humanity builds a ton of these cars, these are still very complex pieces of machinery and mistakes happen in engineering and manufacturing.

Not trying to down-play your annoyances, but I've figured out that recalls and defects happen all the time to other cars, you just don't hear about these recalls unless a major crash happens, it affects a wide swath of cars, or of course you own the car.

Case in point: I would've never known about this problem unless I just happened to be browsing the Optima forum today. (I own a Soul)

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima EX
4 Posts
TechZeke,

I appreciate you sharing your thought and comments.
I could only hope more people browsing come across this forum the same as you did.

Your absolutely right! Humans and machines make mistakes in manufacturing everyday!
But when they do, they recall it to either repair it correctly or replace it. Not some BS test that tells them NOTHING!

This is a VERY serious problem with the engines on these vehicles.
There are already many of class action law suites filed for this exact problem.
When is one of these "JUNK" engines going to fail at the wrong place and cost someone there life?? Is that what it going to take? Seriously!

Funny you mention Toyota!
I have a 01 4Runner that I purchased in 01 off the showroom floor with 6 miles on it. It has 285K on it today and the original engine and transmission runs like it did when I picked it up with 6. If Toyota has a recall they either repair it or replace it! PERIOD!
Cars now days should last 200K miles easy if you maintain them.

I can probably say that the majority of people that pay $35.000 NOT $100K for a "brand new" vehicle would be able to get in and travel and not have to be worrisome of where or when is the engine going to finally decide to let go?
When your wife and children are stranded in Arizona at 119 degrees in god knows where?
Would you be happy?

This latest test performed was pretty much the epitome of it all!
A dipstick with a microphone! OMG!!!

Enough said..

Thanks!!

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima EX
4 Posts
Kia Optima EX GDI 2.4 2013 DON’T

WARNING:
Due to metal debris left in engines and incorrect machining of the cam shaft journals these engines will fail WITOUT notice.
You may experience loss of power and check engine and the oil light will be illuminated.
That’s the recall letter that we are receiving.
KIA has sold engines that knowingly had problems since 2011!
After review of KIA forums this is seems to be up to the 2014 models from what where reading.
I have discussed this with the dealer service and they will not replace it until failure. PERIOD!
The value of the vehicle has dropped substantially with this problem.
With the latest recall it seems that KIA is just prolonging the problem. Waiting for time to pass and not have to warranty a large number of engines.
The latest recall test does not mean your engine is safe! It can fail a week later without notice!

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 2013 BMW K1600 GTL
11,249 Posts
WARNING:
Due to metal debris left in engines and incorrect machining of the cam shaft journals these engines will fail WITOUT notice.
You may experience loss of power and check engine and the oil light will be illuminated.
That’s the recall letter that we are receiving.
KIA has sold engines that knowingly had problems since 2011!
After review of KIA forums this is seems to be up to the 2014 models from what where reading.
I have discussed this with the dealer service and they will not replace it until failure. PERIOD!
The value of the vehicle has dropped substantially with this problem.
With the latest recall it seems that KIA is just prolonging the problem. Waiting for time to pass and not have to warranty a large number of engines.
The latest recall test does not mean your engine is safe! It can fail a week later without notice!
Please post a link to the recall.

http://www.kia-forums.com/1664986-post7.html

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 2013 BMW K1600 GTL
11,249 Posts
We took our 2013 Kia Optima EX Luxury 2.4 GDI in for the service recall this past weekend.
This is the latest phase for the engine recall SC147

This is the diagnostic tests performed:
They drain the engine oil and inspect it for metal shavings
They install new oil
They insert a tool which is a dipstick with a microphone
They run the engine at various RPM and with the listening dipstick checking for unusual sounds
If no noise is recorded they pass the vehicle.

The problem is this test means NOTHING!! According to my service writer the test was performed on the same car and the engine seized 1 week after the test!

You search this recall info with the service recall code SC147

Optima Safety Recall (SC147) and You...

Those guys seem happy with the arrangement.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima SXL
3 Posts
My 2013 Optima SXL engine

I thought I had an id for this, and I couldn't figure it out. So I made another.

My cars turbo seals were leaking and had to be replaced in June in Round Rock, TX. It was near a 2000$ bill. I called them within a day to say that there was some oil spots on the car leaking. They said there would be some residual 'leaking' of oil but would stop within a few days. So a few days later, still oil. Took it in, and they said the previous dealer didn't seal the gaskets. They redid the work and gave it back to me after about a week due to back order of gaskets?? or something like that. A month later or so, I drove my car to work. Got a call that there was lots of oil on the ground at my condo where my car had been parked. Went out and checked, and there was oil EVERYWHERE in the engine bay. I was lucky (or maybe not) that the engine didn't lock up at that point. They redid the work and this time said it was a small plastic flap that had failed, and the turbo seals blowing were a consequence of that part failing. They repaired it again in Gainesville under the original warranty work. At this time, they also did the inspection on my engine. ????? Now, looking back, they looked to see if shavings were in oil, that had been completely replaced three times in two months. It passed. I think I have drove 6 to 7k on my car since then. Last oil change was at Kia in Baytown about three months ago. Next oil change was 122,xxx.

My 2013 Kia Optima died yesterday. I am pretty sure it was a bearing issue. I was going, heard a noise. Pulled over and checked oil, looked underneath the car, etc. Was at a location I could not stay at (airport departures drop off). Went to the closest gas station which was under two minutes away. The ding noise went from light, to loud, to a knock, and then as I pulled in to the gas station my engine didn't want to move out of the road and I almost got rammed by a car as I thought I had enough time to go but had no idea the engine was about to just give out. Quite scary.

My car is at 121xxx. I called kia that was close to me, and the lady was SOOOO rude. I told her what had happened. Told her my mileage. And the Houston Kia lady said zero chance kia will cover that if it is 1000 miles over the extended warranty date. And then I said, well I had the engine checked before. She butted in and said then there is REALLY zero chance that will be covered. So bring it if you want, but kia won't cover it. I was like ??? WOW. 1000 miles must be the FIRM stance of kia to take responsibility. My sister was with me and has AAA (I will now be getting triple AAA and ditching my progressive roadside) and offered to use it to tow my car to the Baytown Kia. The service department was closed, but everyone was SO much nicer. No immediate wall of NO NO NO NO. Just bring it, service department will look at it on Monday, sorry this happened, are you ok? You know, things you expect decent human being to compassionately say, even if it is just in a business sense of saying these things.

Stress isn't even cutting it when I say I have been stressed since this happening last night. And then I read this. That they extended this. I didn't receive a letter saying this. I was part of the original people who got a letter. I hope my engine is covered.

·
Registered
2011 Forte SX 2.4L (thankfully MPI) A/T 144K miles
1,489 Posts
.... Got a call that there was lots of oil on the ground at my condo where my car had been parked. ...
That's a really important part of your story. Do you know who called you, or can you find out? Assuming you know who called you, that person is a witness who can confirm the result of the terrible work done by the stealerrship. Hopefully that person would be willing to give you a written statement of what he/she saw, and the call that followed. Go back to your KIA and see what they have to say once you show them the statement. If they're not willing to FULLY cover a new engine and give you a loaner while the work is being done, tell them you'll take them to court. You have clearly been the victim of horrible service from KIA, and they're fully responsible for this mess by causing the major oil loss. Don't settle for anything less than KIA paying 100% of the repair.

·
Premium Member
2019 KIA Sorento SX - 3.3L GDi V6 - AWD
955 Posts
My 2013 Kia Optima died yesterday...

Sorry that you had to go through all that.

:(

I hope everything works out for you and that they fix it under warranty.

Good luck!

Oh and... welcome to the Forum.

Richard

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima SXL
3 Posts
No news today. But when I called them this morning, they said it would be late in the day before they would have a chance to look at it.

This engine problem is pretty scary. And now I think that original issue with my turbo seals blowing probably are related to this shavings in the oil problem. A valve got stuck. I am guessing due to metal shavings in my oil. The first time it happened in June, I would think a decent mechanic would of recognized the problem not being the turbo seals, but something causing the pressure to build up. I have loved this car, and would gladly traded for a new sxl if they still made them in a pretty blue, and/or the k900 if it came in ONE pretty color (which I tell them every time they call with the nonsense about 'my vehicle is in high demand' and them wanting me to sell it to them). And have been eyeing the stinger because it is actually in a pretty colors. Two of my sisters now have kias, one even traded the original kia for another kia this past summer, a friend bought an sxl this past summer... all because of the glowing reviews I have of my car, and just sitting in and driving in my car. It is crazy how that one lady who answered the phone at the Houston Kia dealership can make a person sour. But the thing that most stands out at this point, not the three times for the same issue, the nearly dieing from my car giving out turning thru oncoming traffic into a gas station, etc....but that lady who answered the phone at the kia in Houston who didn't even bother to ask if I was ok.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima SXL
3 Posts
Kia is covering my car :) The Baytown Kia has been wonderful. The customer service individuals have been so nice. Everyone tells me to trade my car when I get it back, but I love my sxl. I really just wish Kia would make the sxl again in a pretty bright color. In five or so weeks, I will have my Pretty Blue back and she will be nearly good as new with a new engine.

·
Super Moderator
11,249 Posts
Kia is covering my car :) The Baytown Kia has been wonderful. The customer service individuals have been so nice. Everyone tells me to trade my car when I get it back, but I love my sxl. I really just wish Kia would make the sxl again in a pretty bright color. In five or so weeks, I will have my Pretty Blue back and she will be nearly good as new with a new engine.
Congrats and thanks for taking the time to report back with your good news.

·
Registered
2017 KIA Sportage SX AWD
355 Posts
Okay, on the original question, with 44,000 miles on the car, any damage from possible metal particles in the engine was done in the first 50 miles, so after a number of oil and filter changes any remaining particles would be long gone assuming they existed at all, which is doubtful. I would absolutely not worry about this at all at this stage. Just keep taking care of the engine as well as you can. I'd say you have more worry about sand in your location than this recall, so inspect your air filter often.

·
Registered
2011 Forte SX 2.4L (thankfully MPI) A/T 144K miles
1,489 Posts
... any damage from possible metal particles in the engine was done in the first 50 miles, so after a number of oil and filter changes any remaining particles would be long gone assuming they existed at all, which is doubtful. I would absolutely not worry about this at all at this stage. ....
Actually, 'manufacturing debris' is only part of Kia's version of the story, since they also mention 'incorrect machining' in their recall documentation. However, Hyundai has not included that in their customer letters. Given that these two automakers are joined at the hip, and they both used the same Theta engines, this lack of agreement is definitely not a confidence builder.

Personally, I don't believe anything that Hyundai/Kia have said. Yes, I'll concede that some or all of it MIGHT be true, but I also would not be even a bit surprised if everything they have said is pure BS. There was a story going around earlier this year that a senior Hyundai engineer had 'escaped' from their inner circle, and was prepared to spill his guts and blow the whistle on the automakers. But I've not read any follow up to that one so far.

The bottom line is I'd be extremely concerned if I owned one of these Theta GDI/Turbo engines. In fact I keep very close tabs on this whole thing, watching for any spillover to the MPI Theta (fingers crossed, none so far). You're apparently not a bit concerned by any of this. Well, everyone's different and good for you. But I wonder if you would feel the same way if you actually owned a Hyundai or Kia having one of the recalled engines.

·
Registered
Optima , 2016 , EX
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hello Guys

My car engine has failed ..

Loud sound come throw the engine

I can't believe that my car engine will not start again ..

Sorry kia you was something i dreamed to have and now i lost everything my car my dream ..

I hope this MSG can be delivered to kia and to CEO of kia

·
Super Moderator
11,249 Posts
Hello Guys

Sorry kia you was something i dreamed to have and now i lost everything my car my dream ..

Sorry to hear that.

Mileage, and service history.

This forum is not affiliated to Kia Motors, so don't expect your message to be delivered to Kia.

·
Registered
Optima , 2016 , EX
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hello Guys

Sorry to hear that.

Mileage, and service history.

This forum is not affiliated to Kia Motors, so don't expect your message to be delivered to Kia.

My car run 53,000 mile
Service done on time
With Self care

·
Registered
Optima , 2016 , EX
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
http://ddms.kia.com/nxui/ddmsVocm/index.html

I found this webpage i think it belongs to kia official site , i will post my problem i hope they can contact me or do something to my car

My car now in my house ,

I can't find any idea how to do with

In my country dealer not accepting any can not bought from him , we have only one dealer for kia

Our optima engine her is MPI and my car is usa made so its GDI

am really confused i don't know what should i do

·
Super Moderator
11,249 Posts
DDMS

I found this webpage i think it belongs to kia official site , i will post my problem i hope they can contact me or do something to my car

My car now in my house ,

I can't find any idea how to do with

In my country dealer not accepting any can not bought from him , we have only one dealer for kia

Our optima engine her is MPI and my car is usa made so its GDI

am really confused i don't know what should i do
It's unfortunate, but that is the risk that you taken when privately importing a motor vehicle - most manufacturers don't offer international warranty cover.

The only option I see is that you buy a new engine, or a used engine, but even that will be difficult in your location.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts