Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi to all,

my name is connie and i live in south africa,i have purchased a kia elan with a 1.8 naturally asperated engine.when looking at the 1.6 turbo engine in the lotus elan the engines look identical except for the turbo and isusu marking on the tappit cover.is the kia motor a 1.8 isuzu motor i would like to find out if the 1.8 kia motor is used in any other kia model or other vehicle types,the performance of this engine is sluggish and not what a sports car is about ,i am interested in finding mods to improve performance ,like fitting a low pressure bar turbo,so as not having to open motor and modifying piston with low compression pistons.

i am currently fitted 2 pot front calipers and airated grooved front disc,s which comes off a 1990 opel big boss,a lot of body,brake and suspension mods can be downloaded from lotuselancentral.com

hope i can get some assistantance in identifying kia elan 1.8 motor

cheers

connie

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,127 Posts
Originally posted by connie@Feb 21 2005, 07:23 AM
hi to all,

my name is connie and i live in south africa,i have purchased a kia elan with a 1.8 naturally asperated engine.when looking at the 1.6 turbo engine in the lotus elan the engines look identical except for the turbo and isusu marking on the tappit cover.is the kia motor a 1.8 isuzu motor i would like to find out if the 1.8 kia motor is used in any other kia model or other vehicle types,the performance of this engine is sluggish and not what a sports car is about ,i am interested in finding mods to improve performance ,like fitting a low pressure bar turbo,so as not having to open motor and modifying piston with low compression pistons.

i am currently fitted 2 pot front calipers and airated grooved front disc,s which comes off a 1990 opel big boss,a lot of body,brake and suspension mods can be downloaded from lotuselancentral.com

hope i can get some assistantance in identifying kia elan 1.8 motor

cheers

connie
In the usa the kia sephia and spectra use the kia 1.8L DOHC engines.
a place for performance parts for this engine is limited to one guy
www.kfxperformance.com

check it out lots of stuff for this motor. I have the 1.8 in my sephia and spectra. have a few performance parts on the sephia that i got from there.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 2013 BMW K1600 GTL
11,243 Posts
Hi Connie,

I also live in South Africa and own a Kia Elan 1999 model.

I shipped my car out from Korea myself - how did you get your Elan in SA?

While I still had the car in Korea there was a campaign by the Elan Club members that led to KIA doing a recall and upgrading the brake system (it needed it).
My car was shipped before they could do the install for me, so later they gave me all the parts free and I installed the brake upgrade myself.
It consisted of Front Brake rotors and callipers from the Carens, and softer rear brake pads, also proportioning valves to install in the rear brake lines, and a more rigid front ant-roll stabiliser bar.

I work internationally and only get to use the car about 5 weeks of the year.

My car only has 39,000 km on the clock and I have replaced the battery twice and the clutch master cylinder, and while I was home June 2005 the oxygen sensor stopped working - I believe all the above is a direct result of the infrequent use of this car.
I think that the Wynns Injector cleaner that I used was not compatible with cars using oxygen sensors - be very wary of additives with modern fuel injection systems.

The Clutch M cylinder was sent to me from friends I still have in Korea, and my wife is there now, and she has just bought two oxygen sensors and one ISC valve.
Seamans (the SA agents) wanted R1,500 for the oxygen sensor, and my wife has just paid an equivalent of R180 in Korea.

If you are still in need of parts, then let me know and I can assist.

Typically the Idle Speed Control (ISC) valve gets sticky and all I suggest you do then is just detach the throttle body leaving the water hoses connected, then take off the ISC valve and clean both parts with Wynns Carb Cleaner.

The engine is the same as a few of the Sephia's and Spectra.

I have a copy of the Lotus Elan Service Notes which I use for the Body etc., and a full workshop manual for the Kia Elan (in Korean, but I can still manage), and I'm waiting delivery of the Kia Elan parts catalog.

Cheers,
Ron.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi how do I upgrade the pads and disks?

Is it just a case of buying a set that fit and swaping them over or do the hubs have to go as well and calipers have to go as well?

Thanks, Taz

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 2013 BMW K1600 GTL
11,243 Posts
In the attached picture are the parts supplied by KIA for the upgrade:
1) Hubs
2) Rotors
3) Calipers
4) Proportioning Valves
5) More rigid anti-roll bar
6) Assorted brake lines
7) Soft rear pads
8) Set of shims for wheel alignment.

The front brake rotors and calipers are the same as the KIA carens.

After I installed the new parts, I took the set of shims with me to "Tiger Whel & Tyre" and worked with their tech to correct the wheel alignment.
The shims are essential for setting the camber. The caster is set by moving the existing castor shims between the front or rear of the upper ball joint maintaining only eight shims in total.

·
Registered
Elan/Vigato/Roadster
48 Posts
Originally posted by ron1004@Jun 30 2005, 06:00 AM
and a full workshop manual for the Kia Elan (in Korean, but I can still manage), and I'm waiting delivery of the Kia Elan parts catalog.

Cheers,
Ron.
Hi Ron :)

Do you already have get the parts catalog and need someone who takes care of a copy in middleeurope, for the case you ever need this here? ;)

And do you have even a workshop manual in english or german ???

Best regards

·
Super Moderator
11,243 Posts
Hi,

I have a full copy of the Lotus Elan service notes in English which I use for everything except the engine, and I have a Korean service manual for the KIA Elan which I use for the Engine and electrics (I can read a little Korean, and when I get stuck my Korean wife helps).
I also have a Korean/English parts cataloge which I use when ordering parts directly from Korea, using my wifes family and friends to send this on to us.

If you need technical advice or help ordering parts then let me know and I'll see where I can help.

Regards,
Ron

·
Registered
Elan/Vigato/Roadster
48 Posts
I have the english service notes of the elan from Lotus too ;)

The only thing I miss here is a kia-parts-list.

If you could send a coyp to me, I owe you something, which I never forget :)

Best regards
Don

·
Registered
2004 Kia Optima
1,980 Posts
Originally posted by ron1004@Oct 18 2005, 07:37 AM
Hi,

I have a full copy of the Lotus Elan service notes in English which I use for everything except the engine, and I have a Korean service manual for the KIA Elan which I use for the Engine and electrics (I can read a little Korean, and when I get stuck my Korean wife helps).
I also have a Korean/English parts cataloge which I use when ordering parts directly from Korea, using my wifes family and friends to send this on to us.

If you need technical advice or help ordering parts then let me know and I'll see where I can help.

Regards,
Ron
OMG, I saw our car in the featured cars and I was like WHAT? A KIA Roadster? The wife and I were like, man it looks Farrari inspired! But when you mentioned "LOTUS"? I'm like.. wait a minute.. KIA ACTUALLY has a car that might be a LOTUS as well? MAN awesome.. but the downside is that it is NOT in the US. WHY OH WHY? :grin: It would be great to have it in the US. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
Elan/Vigato/Roadster
48 Posts
Hi here as well Ron,

again I think I have just now recognized what you mean...

If the calipers on your pics are for the front, then my must be the old ones, right?

Are there existing any service bulletins for the kia partners, that they have to change this for free charge?

What are your experiences with the new brakesetup? Better? More precise? Please tell us more about it.

Do you know from which company and on which different cars they are mounted?

There is been said, that the new ones are from ATE and would be find in GM-Cars?

Cause my rear-disks are warped I have to choose new ones. And the stock ones on the car are not the winners... In wet conditions the brake only by fullpower on the pedals... which look not very good for a sportscar... I´m thinking about grooved ones and different pads.

What do you think?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,243 Posts
Hi,

The calipers in the pic is the new front ones.
The new front disks are larger diameter and the caliper takes a larger pad than the original.
The new front disk and caliper are standard on the KIA Carens.

The Korean Elan club campaigned and put pressure on the factory to provide the upgrade free.
They had a cut-off date which I just made.

The new front disks and softer rear pads and hydraulic proportioning valves made a great improvement, but I'd prefer the brakes to be more powerful still, so considering that you will unlikely get the free factory upgrade, you should look at getting better new performance disks and calipers front and rear, and just make sure that the proportioning is still correct.

If I were you I'd go for performance grooved disks front and rear.

Most of the Korean Elan owners that I know have isntalled performance brake parts, some even have carbon fibre disks etc.

·
Registered
Elan/Vigato/Roadster
48 Posts
Sorry,

but in regards to my poor language-knowledge I have to sort it once more :(

The pictures of you show the new ones - and my picture the old ones... Right?

Your Statemant pro grooved disk and different pads, that had been my very next question :rolleyes: But if I have understand even in this case, I have to organize the brake upgrad for getting the hydraulic proportioning and then (!) afterwards to look for aftermarket disks... Also right? :unsure:

I have read some post last night in the elannet... I don´t want to change the whole brakesystem... I am interested only in better and more secure brake-performance, as Collin said, :teacher: " to allow 100% of the driver to gain the power on 90% of all circumstances" or in a different way ;) For that IMO grooved disk and different pads are enough...

Do you know where I could get new disk? Which diameter have them in the old and the new config? And where to get different pads? Are they identically with the Lotus ones?

puhh. many questions :eek: Hope its not too much :)

THX! Greets Don

1 - 13 of 13 Posts