Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys can anyone help me find Kia Elan Parts. How can i do it. is there like a chat room? its my first time here

·
Registered
32 Posts
Interchangable with other T8D, if you're talking about engines. If you're talking about body panels and whatnot, then I guess you'd have to contact the mftr directly. :(

·
Registered
Elan/Vigato/Roadster
48 Posts
The engine-code of the elan is a TSD instead of T8D...

Do they share the same body or less? Anyone who knows it?

And where can I get now parts like flywheel, shortshifter, manifold, ECU-Flashing, ...

THX in advance :)

·
Registered
Elan/Vigato/Roadster
48 Posts
Hello Ron,

thank you for your quick response... For the moment I have only one problem but its not a mechanical engine-problem I think:

The engine sounds good :) and revs quickly up :) but only slowly down :( It is the only thing, which doesn´t fit to a sportscar.

It´s not a drama, but it´s even not perfect, to the car and not for me....

I think you know what I mean:

acceleration goes like this: 1000,2000,3000,4000,5000,6000 :grin:

feet from the pedal for switching the gear, or cruising:
6000,5700,5400,5000,4500,4000 in the same timeline as upwords.... :( :(

Is it caused by the ECU for bringing more fuel in the engine for cooling down? Or is it more a matter of a to heavy flightwheel built to comfort the grandmas in the states?

Do you know what I mean?

I stated in the further post only, that these engines are AFAIK NOT one engine cause they must have changed something. The T8D should have been better for coming up from higher revs, so is it told to me...

When you are sure, that one can change the parts fine? But what have they done for generating the power of 100kw? Only remapping the Ecu?

THX for your patience in advance ;)

Don

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 2013 BMW K1600 GTL
11,242 Posts
Hi Don,

My car has always been slow for the engine RPM's to decrease, but at one time it became even slower and I removed the Idle Speed Control (ISC) valve and cleaned it with carburator spray cleaner. and also cleaned the throttle body.

The Exhuast Gas Recirculation (EGR) valve feeds dirty exhaust gas into the inlet manifold near the throttle body and ISC valve and this fouls things up - I intend disabling the EGR valve closed.

When I was in Korea I was told that some had reduced the weight of the flywheel, but it wasn't the solution - if it was an overweight flywheel then it would also be slow to increase RPM's.

I have heard that the there was minor engine changes to the standard 1.8L - maybe cams etc. and likley the mapping of the ECU - the ECU part number is certainly not the same for the ECU.

Have you installed the must have front engine mounting?

Cheers, Ron.

·
Registered
Elan/Vigato/Roadster
48 Posts
Hi Ron :)

Your troubles with the idling have I read. I have already the throttlebody cleaned. Result: the engine revs again faster up :grin: but down as slow like before :(

The EGR i haven´t checked. Could you show me on a picture what you exactly mean? I´m not a pro mechanic ;) so please, be patient with me :)

Flywheel: Yes, now you have written it, it is clear. So, there is still one option less or more for trackdays and for the wishlist for Santa :grin:

Must have engine mounting? :blink: :blink: Don´t know. Tell me more :)

Is there no tuning-company around, who takes care about our baby? :unsure:

http://kia-fx.netfirms.com is already known, but further more?

Best wishes to the other side of the earth :)

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 2013 BMW K1600 GTL
11,242 Posts
Don,

You cleaned the throttle body - did you clean the ISC valve and confirm that it swivels freely?

I beleive that the slow decline in engine RPM is the mapping of the ECU - when the engine is at load the ISC valve is wide open, and then when the throttle returns to idle position the valve should rapidly close in and maintain stable idle speed - I think that the ECU is too slow in returning the ISC to idle position.

The EGR valve is just below the ISC valve and is a vacuum operated valve - the solenoid that drives it is jest to the left of the inlet manifold - this valve opens at certain throttle positions and allows exhaust gas into the inlet manifold to reduce gas immissions - I plan to pull the vacuum line to the EGR valve and plug it and also plug the EGR vacuum connection just in case I resort back to using it some time.

I take care of all the requirements on my car - don't know of anyone on your side of the world.

I couldn't get to open this URL http://kia-fx.netfirms.com - I'll try through a proxy server as I'm in China at this time, so it may be on the governments blacked IP list.

The front engine mount : - The standard is a travel limiter on the front of the exhaust mainfold which alows torque twist of the engine but just limits it - the new front engine mount removes the part of the travel limiter that mounts to the shassis and attaches just to the right of it and on the engine side attaches just below the clutch master cylinder - its just a regular circular rubber mount - see picture of someone elses car.

Another important upgrade is the front brakes - see other post of mine on this web site.

Cheers,
Ron.

·
Registered
Elan/Vigato/Roadster
48 Posts
Hi Ron,

I´m sorry, but I have all the time thought of the engine mount and that we have something to discus, but I think just right now i got it.. There were different holders in the marked area... did you mean this?

[attachmentid=942]

The thing with the idle.... I have to read it all again with a translator beside me... I have no discovered, that the engine idle like yours, when its driven hot und started after a short break... I think that are similar conditions right?

Sorry for this very very late answer, but things have been changed in my privacy... so for now I promise very quick answers in the future :)

I wish you a very good season 2006

cheers, Don

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,242 Posts
Hi Don,

All the best for 2006 for you too.

My idling problem is resolved - I installed a new oxygen sensor and ISC Valve (idle speed control valve) and it's running perfectly now.

I looked at your picture and can confirm that you don't have the new type front engine mount - what you have is a device that just limits the travel of the engine - this is removed and a rubber engine mount is installed - see attached picture of my engine mount and not the redundant part still attached to the exhaust manifold.

It really makes gear changing when accelerating hard much better, and it's better in traffic when you move the throttle the engine doesn't rock.

Regards,
Ron.

·
Super Moderator
11,242 Posts
Hi Don,

Attached is a picture of the simple way used to disable the EGR valve.
Simply pull the vacuum line off and clamp it closed.

When the EGR valve opens it passes exhaust gas into the inlet manifold to reduce exhaust emmissions under certain loads, but this makes the throttle body dirty.

This makes no change to performance - it will more likely improve it but such a small amount that you won't notice.

Regards,
Ron.

·
Registered
Elan/Vigato/Roadster
48 Posts
Hi Ron,

:liebe011: again and again

Last question to the engine mount for closing this chapter: was this a charge free-action from Kia? Should the dealer have notice from that? When not, what have you paid for it?

Thx again ;) in advance.

For the idle prob: I have already discoverd you in the clubelannet. :) Not yet read the whole story, but I think, for the Elan-family it is better to discus the rest at that place, that more of our collegues could gain from it.

Thank you so much for the help and the hopefully last answer to the engine mount ;)

Very kind regards

Don

·
Super Moderator
11,242 Posts
Hi Don,

No problem with many questions.

The engine mount is not supplied by KIA - some Elan owners in Korea got together and had an engineering works make them - it would be very easy for someone with steel cutting and welding equipment to make this.

There is a newer version to my engine mount which is basically a shock damper - see picture attached, sold on the below web site.
http://www.auw.co.kr/shop/index.phtml

Regards,
Ron.

·
Registered
Elan/Vigato/Roadster
48 Posts
Thanks Ron :)

Now also this is quite clear.

Do you have as the last question even an answer to the brake-story?

look here

I swear, I slow the continous questioning down to a stable idle-rpm :D ;)

Thx and many greets

Don

1 - 13 of 13 Posts