Kia Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts
1998 Kia Elan

I am seriously considering a 1998 Kia Elan. It has 20,000 km and as far as i can tell from the checks it has a clean record with no accidents etc. This car has passed a 150-point visual inspection from a separate garage which has looked at engines, gearbox, transmission, brakes etc etc.

I have never owned a Lotus (Kia??) before. Can anyone here give me a reason NOT to buy this car?

Thanks

I am seriously considering a 1998 Kia Elan. It has 20,000 km and as far as i can tell from the checks it has a clean record with no accidents etc. This car has passed a 150-point visual inspection from a separate garage which has looked at engines, gearbox, transmission, brakes etc etc.

I have never owned a Lotus (Kia??) before. Can anyone here give me a reason NOT to buy this car?

Thanks
There was very few made, there's not many out there that have owned one before.

I like mine, but believe its the type of car that the owner needs to be hands on - you need to be an avid tinkerer like me.

At that age it would be due for a timing belt change (5 years or 60k miles).

The brakes are poor - I installed the factor upgrade for the brakes - those outside Korea most likely didn't get this.

Parts such as seals and fabric for the roof can be bought from the UK.

If you're the hands on type, GO FOR IT.

Please update your profile detail, ......at least location and vehicle.

Reactions: VancouverColin
As always, great advice from Ron.

I only have the Lotus version and not the Kia, I tried to buy a Kia Elan earlier this year but due to import laws changing I didn't get it. So, I'm not 100% sure of which parts are shared. I can give you most of the service and parts manuals if you need them.

As Ron stated, some spare parts can be hard to find. Knowing your way around the car and enjoying tinkering with it is a huge advantage. If it's anything like the Lotus... The roof will probably leak when it rains.

With only 20k on the clock it should be quite a good example. But remember it's 18 years old.

I am assuming the body is identical to the Lotus in construction? If it's been stored outside all of it's life. have a feel around the sills. Lifting the carpets would be good, but probably not an option. Although the body is fibreglass and not prone to rust. There is steel reinforcing in the sills and rear bulkhead that can rust, repair apparently, is quite complicated. Lotus Elan Central ? View topic - What to do about heavy rust around the outriggers

Some great buyers guides for the Lotus version

Lotus Elan Central ? View topic - Buyer's Guide - a good read

Classic Lotus Elan cars for sale | Classic and Performance Car

There's lots of free advice from people here and the LEC. I've owned my car since 2002 and have no intention of selling it. :)

21 - 24 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.