Kia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
rio 2013
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello ppl, I have an issue with the Kia here in CR, I had purchased the Kia Rio EX 2013. 1.4L auto, sedan in graphite color.

Originally they said it could be delivered by Nov 15, that was a month of waiting, any other agency could deliver even a day after but I have my motorcycle so I decided to be patient, by Nov 06 I was super excited and then got a call from Kia notifying me they didn't receive the car I requested, they stated they have no control on what inventory they receive (which seems really weird to me) but then said it "should" arrive by Dec 15 on the next shipment, I was upset but decided to stay patient. On Nov 23 they called me again to notify me that again it won't be here and that "maybe" by January, they stated that they have no cars available and the factory hasn't sent them any Graphite EX cars.
I was very upset, a 1 month wait suddenly became a 3 month "maybe" wait, since Nov 15 I have seen at least 4 Rio's like the one I requested on the street, same specs, color, etc, which tells me they were either ordered before me or the Kia is delivering them to other ppl by some reason and lying to me.

I have sent an email to my dealer stating that "maybe I'll get it next time" is an unprofessional answer and that I will come by tuesday to get a more concrete answer.

I am very upset by this and to be honest I want the Rio over the other options so I really want to be patient. Do you have any suggestions of anything I should say or ask by the time I get there?

·
Registered
2012 Black Kia Rio5 SX w/ Nav, 2005 Honda Odyssey EX
190 Posts
I know how you feel, as I waited 6 months for mine. If you really want the car, which was my case, I suggest you wait. A few more weeks will not compare to having a car you did not really want for years. That's how I looked at it.

·
Registered
rio 2013
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know how you feel, as I waited 6 months for mine. If you really want the car, which was my case, I suggest you wait. A few more weeks will not compare to having a car you did not really want for years. That's how I looked at it.
Yeah a friend told me I should cancel with Kia and get an Accent or an Aveo, but I love this car and could hate to be stuck with another car I won't like for years so I'm trying to be patient.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio SLS and 09 Mitsubishi Lancer
463 Posts
Take the issue up with Kia Costa Rica.

This is the dealer not doing their job properly. As Kia is an importer, they dont just send cars to a country and cross their fingers and hope they sell. The bulk of the cars that Kia will send to a country are already allocated to a private buyer or the dealer has ordered a set amount to fill inventory if they expect the cars to have short shelf life (short time on the floor).

What can affect your delivery time is demand in other countries. In your region if there is a high priority country that has increased demand then countries further down the list will have their allotments re-allocated to suit demand.

Its roughly 6-8weeks to have a brand new Rio shipped from Korea. Depending on location it may take an extra week or two.

·
Registered
rio 2013
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Take the issue up with Kia Costa Rica.

This is the dealer not doing their job properly. As Kia is an importer, they dont just send cars to a country and cross their fingers and hope they sell. The bulk of the cars that Kia will send to a country are already allocated to a private buyer or the dealer has ordered a set amount to fill inventory if they expect the cars to have short shelf life (short time on the floor).

What can affect your delivery time is demand in other countries. In your region if there is a high priority country that has increased demand then countries further down the list will have their allotments re-allocated to suit demand.

Its roughly 6-8weeks to have a brand new Rio shipped from Korea. Depending on location it may take an extra week or two.
Yes I agree, I also thought that maybe the inventory was allocated somewhere else, then I remembered I have seen some new Rio's like mine around since the last shipment in Nov 15 which makes me think there is something else in between (but maybe I'm paranoid and it's just that they ordered them first 0_o), plus what they said that there's no control on what inventory they get seems very weird.

I'll go tomorrow to the Kia being as patient as can be, I will only ask for an specific date in which they will deliver, if that date is in january or something then so be it as long as it's not a "maybe" again, then I'll ask them to give it in a signed paper.

I hope the Kia can work this out, I will be patient with them and hope they can assure me the delivery.

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
Yeah a friend told me I should cancel with Kia and get an Accent or an Aveo
Are they still making and shipping the Aveo to foreign markets? I thought it was replaced by the Sonic. If it's still available.....stay away. It is cheaply made and not worth the money.

·
Registered
2012 Rio EX Sedan UVO Auto/Tanzanite blue/tinted windows/Vent visors
313 Posts
Check AJAC choices for small car of the year

Are they still making and shipping the Aveo to foreign markets? I thought it was replaced by the Sonic. If it's still available.....stay away. It is cheaply made and not worth the money.
I read somewhere the Sonic is still called Aveo outside US and Canada markets. Impossible the old Aveo could still be in production. I didn't dislike the Sonic when I test drove it but it was too much "GM" for me: look, feel and drive. And so much expensive. Salesman came to me me with almost a "forgive me sir but" expression in his face. Near 26,000 $ + taxes for a full equipped LTZ. Not for me. Now that we know the FE is bad bad bad and bad. Rio is the fist choice in the segment. See AJAC - 2013 Results
but there's something odd with the choice of the cars. They go by small cars under 21,000$. They should go by category. In a way, a Mazda 3, a Chevrolet Spark and Nissan Sentra are not in the same cat. Shouldn't Sentra and Mazda 3 be in the compact category? Rio in subcompact with Fiesta, Accent and Mazda 2? How do you compare a compact with a subcompact. Anyhow, even out of its natural catergory, a Rio outshines a 2013 Sentra, Dart and Prius. Good for the ego

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 EX w/ Convenience & ISG
293 Posts
Be patient. Specific orders may take time. Hard to wait.

My wait for a Rio5 EX went from 1 month to 3.5 and I still had to take it with the ISG package or just continue to wait.

BTW, you didn't "order" a car to your specs, you got the dealer to request one like that be shipped to him asap. He's at the mercy of KIA too.

I've forgotten about the wait, but I'd always remember 'hating' getting into a car I didn't want.

best of luck.

·
Registered
'13 Rio5 LX Manual, '15 ZX14R, Honda VFR800, Ducati 748, '87 Buick Grand National, '13 Subaru BRZ
101 Posts
I was looking for a good commuter car. In July I ordered a 2013 White Rio5 LX with manual transmission and NO options. I was told it would be a 6 week wait, "so why not just get a good deal on one of the cars in stock?". I decided to wait for the car I wanted, and 5 weeks, 5 days later I got the call that my car had arrived.

When I went to pick it up they had added the dealer options - cargo tray, floor mats, etc... and I said no to all that. They took the options off my bill and let me keep them... that was pretty nice. So I got the car that I wanted and I've been very happy. Almost 10K miles now.

·
Registered
rio 2013
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hello,

Ok so I went to the Kia and they sent me right up to the Manager office, he explained just what most of you described, the issue is not what my seller said (we have no control of what we receive), it's actually that the Kia factory is unable to cope with the demand of the Rio so the car has a waiting list, the Kia in CR does get a stable set of stock most times but the ones they got on Nov 15 were ordered by other ppl since 2 months back, he said my order should be on January because I'm next on the list, but he can't assure me or sign me a paper to that because depending on demand my car might not be on the next shipment. He did say that by Dec 6 to 18 he will get the verification of the shipment and then he will call me to let me know.

So it seems I'll have to wait, I think the wait is well worth it if it's for the car I like :).
Good thing is I didn't plan on selling my motorcycle so I don't have to go by bus or taxi in the meantime.

Thanks for the advise ppl. I will keep checking the forum to check on your Rio mods haha.

·
Registered
rio 2013
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was looking for a good commuter car. In July I ordered a 2013 White Rio5 LX with manual transmission and NO options. I was told it would be a 6 week wait, "so why not just get a good deal on one of the cars in stock?". I decided to wait for the car I wanted, and 5 weeks, 5 days later I got the call that my car had arrived.

When I went to pick it up they had added the dealer options - cargo tray, floor mats, etc... and I said no to all that. They took the options off my bill and let me keep them... that was pretty nice. So I got the car that I wanted and I've been very happy. Almost 10K miles now.
That's a great deal :). In here it seems they don't have much options, any changes that we might want to make have to be done through a third party.

·
Registered
rio 2013
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good News!, I went today to the Kia and they had just received verification of the shipment of my car, It should be delivered to me between January 15 to 20:)

That's still more than a month away but at least now I'm sure the wait won't randomly extend anymore.:lol:

·
Registered
2012 Black Kia Rio5 SX w/ Nav, 2005 Honda Odyssey EX
190 Posts
Excellent! You have been very patient. Happy New Year to you with a new car. Nice.

·
Registered
rio 2013
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My Rio has finally been delivered and is now in my hands!!

Here are some pictures. Finally!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts