Kia Forum banner

Kia Dealers keep trying to SCREW me on my trade in!

6K views 24 replies 18 participants last post by  Izzy 
#1 · (Edited)
I am currently extremely dissatisfied with ALL of my local dealers in the Scottsdale/phoenix arizona area. I haven't had a new car since 1985, when I purchased a 1985 Chevrolet Celebrity CL with a 2.8L V6 auto. My car currently has 52,000 miles and is in pristine condition. All service have been performed by authorized Chevrolet dealers at proper intervels. There is NO rust on the vehicle no dings dents or scratches. It has been garage kept, the interior has no stains or odd discolors, I have vacuumed it religiosly. It runs like a swiss watch. Frankly I'm ready for a new car after almost 30 years. I have done all of my homework and reserched for months and months and finally settled on a 2013 Sorento, in the LX trim with convenence package. The problem i am having is that all the dealers in this area are trying to screw me on my trade in!!! Does Kia corporate have told the dealers to screw over the consumer on trade in offers?? I haven't found a single other new style car that I like enough to want to buy. Can someone offer avice on this? I am getting the same amount from 7 different dealers, but I know my car has to be worth more than this!!

#2 ·
how do you know, a '85 Chev Celebrity not matter what the condition is not worth much, who's going to buy it? It's not a classic car, maybe if you keep it another 20 or 30 years it might.
If you feel they are not giving you enough then sell it privately and buy the Sorento cash. To the dealers I bet your vehicle is only worth scrap value hence the reason for all similar allowances, what are they allowing you for it?
Check the wholesale books at a library and check out the value, or perhaps online.

All dealers are independently owned and Kia has no control over things like trades on there vehicles.

#3 ·
Hey EASY,

You have a "Gem" of a car there! ;)
I would buy it myself as a backup car in a flash if I lived closer! Why don't you keep it for that? I bet a neighbor, friend, or relative would be happy to have it as well, for a reasonable price knowing it's history.

But, to a car dealer, having to sell it to a car wholesaler, it is worth practically nothing, so they really don't want it, and can't offer you much on a trade in.

#4 ·
I think the problem your having is that the car doesn't match the lot. New car dealers really want newer cars. Your probably getting offered $500 from your Kia dealer.

Have you tried selling the car on your own?

Judging from NADA your looking at $1300 - $2700 if you catch the used car manager on a really really good day. Private sale may get you $1300, the dealer can sell it for $3000 tops but would more likely take it to auction and hope to get $1300 there. Unless you find a Celebrity collector, they may pay more.

Anything that retails under $1500 isn't any good for a dealership. Check the "Buy Here Pay Here" lots they may buy it.

If it's as good as you say it is keep it shined take it to some local shows, you may get offers there.

chevycelebrityclubofamerica : Chevy Celebrity Club of America - Celebrity, 6000, Century, Ciera Enthusiasts

#5 ·
Old Used Car Values

A 1985 car no matter how great the condition or low mileage is still 28 years old to a Used Car Manager @ any dealership is a matter of "How much does it weight & when did you last fill the gas tank?" I was in the New Car Business for 31 years & would tell anyone with a car like yours to sell it yourself but don't even waste your time trying to get something for it from a Dealer.

#6 ·
Selling it myslef is not a bad idea. I hadn't thought of that. The best offer was $1575 but they were all around $1500. One dealer offered me only $875 which I found to be insulting. I have thought about just keeping it, but I only have $22,250 saved up, and was counting on my trade-in and incentives to make up the diffrence.

#19 ·
Frankly, if that's all $$$ you have available, :)and want to pay cash, look for a less expensive car. The Sorento is not really in your price bracket. Remember all the other $$ items to conclude the sale, i.e.. taxes, registration, higher insurance costs. I can't think that any dealer would offer you more than lowest wholesale on your current car. Anything over a few years old and they wholesale it out ASAP. And by wholesale, I mean auction prices. If you can afford the monthlys, why not try financing- lowest rates ever.

#7 ·
You should be looking at the final cost of the new sorento including the trade in and incentives.

Chances are that the dealer offering higher trade in will likely make it back with a higher Sorrento sale price.

Overall, you should be able to get a better deal by selling your old car yourself. It's a lot easier to just trade it in though.

Good luck.

#8 ·
Even though your 1985 Chevy Celebrity is in great shape, there is one problem: its a 1985 Chevy Celebrity. I don't have problem with it, I'd cruise it myself for the right price, but there ain't a dealer in the country that actually wants your car. IMO $1500 trade-in is a gift and you should take the money and run.

Keep in mind that you will pay less in tax with the $1500 trade in value. You would need to sell the car for about $1600 to get the same value for trading it in.

#9 ·
I agree, you should try to sell it yourself if you want to get the most out of it. The only reason the dealership is even making an offer is so you will buy the sorento. They would probly just auction it off. BTW the dealship is most likely privately owned they only purchase vehicles from Kia directly, Kia doesnt tell them how to run there business.
Good Luck

#10 ·
The offer for my Toyota Prius was $1,500. Granted this is what car dealerships do on a possible trade-in. If it's a newer model (2010+ or so) they might put it on their lot, particularly if it's a KIA, but still, other car models as well.
My car was off to the wholesale market at the price they were offering for my trade-in. I can sell it myself for at least 3x (according to Edmunds and KBB), but I have to do the work... which is fine with me. I don't think care dealerships are trying to "screw" people out of their trade-ins... because just like yourself, you don't have to buy a KIA, and they don't have to buy your used car. Sell it yourself, or sell to Car Max, or donate it, and get a write-off. Whatever way you want to look at it, car dealerships want money too, and they are taking a risk when they buy your car. You know how it drives, what is right/wrong with it, dealerships don't.

I am not for the trade-in... you won't get your money from the dealership.

#11 ·
Usually there are three components involved in the purchase of a new vehicle. Acquisition of the new asset, disposition of the old asset and financing for the the new asset. The only one I will involve the dealership in is the acquisition of the new asset. I will have financing prearranged and I will retain ownership of the old asset until such time that I can dispose of it on my terms. Never, ever involve the dealership in anything other than the purchase of your new car unless the manufacturer has an incredible financing incentive in place. Otherwise, just bend over, because you are going to get screwed.

#12 ·
Don't expect much if any for your car. KBB doesn't even go back that far or to that model. I checked the value of a similiar 1992 Lumina with 52k and it is only worth $500-$700 trade in. Like others have suggested, keep it as a back up car or give it to a relative/friend.

#13 ·
LOL...complaining about the trade-in on a 27 year old Chevy (that's not a corvette). My advice would be to donate that thing to charity and take the tax deduction. That's the ONLY way you're going to get any real value out of it.

Car dealers are not a charity. They will bend you over on a trade (any trade) and add that profit to what they'll get marking up the new car and any financing "deals."

Good luck,

#17 · (Edited)
LOL...complaining about the trade-in on a 27 year old Chevy (that's not a corvette). My advice would be to donate that thing to charity and take the tax deduction. That's the ONLY way you're going to get any real value out of it.

Car dealers are not a charity. They will bend you over on a trade (any trade) and add that profit to what they'll get marking up the new car and any financing "deals."
Now let's be a little bit more respectful. I was once on the receiving end of Vehicular discrimination and believe me it's no laughing matter.

Just because the car is some 25 years old doesn't mean its worthless. The only real problem I see with the OP intentions was the fact that he was using the absolute worst venue (kia dealer) to sell his car. Most dealers, particularly Kia dealers are clueless who have no idea how to value a car that age.

This is a 'sell private' only deal.

#15 · (Edited)
In the real world:rolleyes:, all dealers will all use the "book" to determine the trade-in value. Of course everyone thinks that their trade-in is pristine & they deserve more than market value.
If you think that you are being low-balled, try to sell it on your own.
I don't believe you are seeing a KIA plan to screw you! :eek:

#16 ·
Couple more options: take you trade to a Chevy dealer. New car dealers do buy cars outright. Also, try Craigslist. I sold a car to someone from NY state using Craigslist. they flew out to Phoenix, bought the car, and drove it back to NY. Another option is Carmax. I sold a Corvette to them and was offered a reasonable price. That is a low hassle way to sell.

#18 ·
I visited the dealer that gave me the highest offer again today. We were able to strike a deal. I talked them up to $1800 for my trade in, and they accepted $22,250 to finish paying off the vehicle. There was a cash back offer, and I am ex-military, so I got that incentive too, for a total of 2 grand. Drove home with my 2013 Sorento LX with convenience package and 3rd row. Baltic blue! I would have liked more for my trade but since they accepted my cash offer in addition to the trade, I feel in all it was a fair deal. Dealer tried to sell me on AWD initially but I only drive about 1500 miles a year in Scottsdale/phoenix. Hope the service department isn't so pushy on upselling at return services.

#21 ·
I was glad they accepted the deal, I obviously haven't gone through this process in a while. This is only the 3rd car I've owned in 68 years! I just kept saving here and there for the last 10 years or so, and instead of interest on a payment working AGAINST me, I let interest in my savings account work FOR me. Now I own a brand new car, completely debt free without having to change my budget around. This is how I did it with the Celebrity as well. I plan on this most likely being the last car I own. Now to figure out this "uvo" is going to be an interesting process.

#23 ·
Actually, I didn't trade for the Celebrity. I sold my son my first car when he graduated. I miss that car. 1960 Buick Electra 225 Convertible. Red with white soft-top. Purchased it from my grandfather while in optometry school. Just retired this year after practicing 43 years. I consider the Sorento to be my retirement gift to myself and my wife.

#25 ·
He just missed the best stock market ralley in years. Even putting the money in utilities would give him 5-7% dividend and with DRIPS +, no cost for getting future dividends, also could borrowed on stock if ever needed. And placed in an IRA would protect him till 70-1/2 RMD. Local KIA is currently offering 0% financing for 5 yrs with added $1000 discount plus military discount, etc., to be added. If you can afford the monthlys, it's really free money financing. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.